Distinguished Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 30, 2022
Hi @sediofoifsf

Well done on getting these 2 first year schemes - this is a fantastic achievement!

If possible, I would try to do these 2 schemes - this is a discussion you can have with graduate recruitment by calling/emailing them about this (you are not the first person to have had 2 schemes run concurrently and I am sure they will be very used to this kind of dilemma). If you can try and find a way to do both schemes and miss a day on one, I would really try and do this. It is good to have as many options as possible given how competitive the nature of getting a TC can be and having two first year schemes will put you in a position of great advantage.

If it proves very difficult to commit to both schemes, I would consider the extent to which the 2 two firms in question consider those individuals on their first year schemes for VSes/TCs. My advice would be to go for the firm where there is a higher probability of a conversion from a first year scheme to a VS and TC. Other factors to consider might be to think about the reputation of these two firms (having a first year scheme with a firm with a strong reputation can help you if you then later apply for VSes and TCs at other firms (it can act as "extra points")). I would also just look at which firm you prefer over the other, as it is important to ultimately think about forming a relationship with and hopefully training with a firm you feel you would be genuinely happy at. :)

I hope that helps! Best of luck on these schemes, you are in a really strong position.

Reactions: Erin

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.