Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    When was your Foot Anstey interview?

May 2017

What was it for?

Vacation scheme

Please describe the interview process at Foot Anstey.

I was interviewed at the firm's Bristol office. Given that the firm is a leading regional firm, you will need to explain to the panel of interviewers why you are interested in a career as a lawyer at a regional firm. They also ask what skills and attributes you would bring to the firm.

You will also be asked to talk about an issue or news article that you have read and that you believe will affect the firm. I wrote about the GDPR and how it will have an effect on some of the firm's clients. Further, I was asked what client I would introduce to Foot Anstey if I could and the reason behind my choice. In order to be able to answer this question, you would need to understand the different departments within the firm and understand what type of clients the firm prefers to work for.

One of the interviewers asked what makes me "stand out" from the crowd and why they should offer me a training contract. I told them about my legal experiences and the skills that I had developed. Specifically, I told them about my experience working for the university legal clinic and how that already has given me the legal skills needed for a future career in law. Overall, the experience was very pleasant and people were very friendly. Regional firms have a different atmosphere to it and attracts other type of candidates, most of which are quite pleasant.

What advice would you give to future applicants for the HFW interview?

Needless to say, you will need to read a lot about the firm and relevant news that have or may have an impact on the firm. You will need to know what clients the firm serves, as this will allow you to understand what type of clients the firm aspires to work for in the future. You will also need to justify why you wish to work for a regional firm. As you may know, many young lawyers aspire to work in London once they have completed their training contracts. They wish to know if you will commit and stay in the firm. It is important that you know your CV well and can sell yourself to the panel of interviewers, using previous experiences and skills that you have developed as a result.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.