Forage description in Work Exp section - how detailed?

BuddingLawyer

Distinguished Member
Jul 10, 2023
Hi

In the work experience section, I am clubbing all Forages under one box. How detailed should the forage descriptions be ? Should I just list them or go over the details? For example is this looking silly or ok ?

"I followed this up with the “Banking Job Simulation” on Forage by Latham & Watkins, wherein I reviewed the purchase agreement for an acquisition, summarised key provisions, drafted an issues list and closing checklist for a loan financing, communicated high-priority closing condition items to opposing counsel, ensured conditions precedent were met and identified issues that might affect closing."

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi

In the work experience section, I am clubbing all Forages under one box. How detailed should the forage descriptions be ? Should I just list them or go over the details? For example is this looking silly or ok ?

"I followed this up with the “Banking Job Simulation” on Forage by Latham & Watkins, wherein I reviewed the purchase agreement for an acquisition, summarised key provisions, drafted an issues list and closing checklist for a loan financing, communicated high-priority closing condition items to opposing counsel, ensured conditions precedent were met and identified issues that might affect closing."

Thanks
I would frame it more what you learnt or what you enjoyed rather than what you did (as what you did is standard for the 1000s of others completing the course). I think just focusing on 1-2 points is sufficient for a 6 hour course.

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    I would frame it more what you learnt or what you enjoyed rather than what you did (as what you did is standard for the 1000s of others completing the course). I think just focusing on 1-2 points is sufficient for a 6 hour course.
    Yes, I agree. I think framing it with reference to how it improved your analytical skills would help.

E.g." I followed this up with the 'Banking Job Simulation' on Forage by Latham & Watkins. While reviewing the purchase agreement for an acquisition, I gained a deep understanding of the legal nuances involved. Summarizing key provisions taught me how to distill complex information into clear and actionable points. Drafting an issues list and closing checklist for loan financing sharpened my attention to detail and organizational skills. Communicating high-priority closing condition items to opposing counsel provided me with real-world experience in negotiation and diplomacy. Ensuring that conditions precedent were met solidified my grasp of deal-critical elements. Lastly, identifying issues that might affect closing helped me develop foresight in spotting potential challenges."

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yes, I agree. I think framing it with reference to how it improved your analytical skills would help.

E.g." I followed this up with the 'Banking Job Simulation' on Forage by Latham & Watkins. While reviewing the purchase agreement for an acquisition, I gained a deep understanding of the legal nuances involved. Summarizing key provisions taught me how to distill complex information into clear and actionable points. Drafting an issues list and closing checklist for loan financing sharpened my attention to detail and organizational skills. Communicating high-priority closing condition items to opposing counsel provided me with real-world experience in negotiation and diplomacy. Ensuring that conditions precedent were met solidified my grasp of deal-critical elements. Lastly, identifying issues that might affect closing helped me develop foresight in spotting potential challenges."
    I think that is quite long for a Forage entry. I would recommend no more than 2-3 sentences if it only took you a matter of hours.

Something like the following would be sufficient:

Through Latham’s Forage banking programme, I gained a deep understanding of the legal nuances involved in a purchase agreement for an acquisition. I learnt to distill complex information into clear and actionable points by summarising key provisions. Ensuring that conditions precedent were met solidified my grasp of deal-critical elements, whilst identifying issues that might affect the closing helped me develop foresight in spotting potential challenges.

Try not to “oversell” Forage experiences - there is a risk that is downplays your other experiences as firms know these are just simulations to help your learning. You have to be careful in overstating your abilities as you are not formally assessed.

Last edited:

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    I think that is quite long for a Forage entry. I would recommend no more than 2-3 sentences if it only took you a matter of hours.
    It was just to assist OP with listing what they might have enjoyed/learnt. I was also assuming this was the for the direct Latham & Watkins application where I would have it a little longer, personally, but cutting it in half works too :)

"I followed this up with the 'Banking Job Simulation' on Forage by Latham & Watkins. While reviewing the purchase agreement for an acquisition, I gained a deep understanding of the legal nuances involved. Summarizing key provisions taught me how to distill complex information into clear and actionable points. Drafting an issues list and closing checklist for loan financing sharpened my attention to detail and organizational skills."

Reactions: BuddingLawyer

al97

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 30, 2023
    Hi both, thank you for providing this information. @google_was_my_idea I have a question for you as I noticed that you also applied to AO for their winter scheme. As AO does not have a usual application question section this year, how did you include your open days/events/Forage experience? They only have a work experience section. Would appreciate your insights too! @Jessica Booker

TakeAChanceOnMe

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 4, 2023
    Jessica - do recruitment teams actually look at the answers you've submitted during your Forage work experience? I'm doing one right now and found one of the tasks pretty tricky. I feel I could have done a better job if I'd spent MUCH more time on it, time that wasn't probably worth it given my other committments at the moment.

That is - unless when you list it on your application - they will go and investigate the work you submitted? In that case obviously more time would be time well spent.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Jessica - do recruitment teams actually look at the answers you've submitted during your Forage work experience? I'm doing one right now and found one of the tasks pretty tricky. I feel I could have done a better job if I'd spent MUCH more time on it, time that wasn't probably worth it given my other committments at the moment.

That is - unless when you list it on your application - they will go and investigate the work you submitted? In that case obviously more time would be time well spent.
    They could but I don’t think they really have the time to be able to do this. At best I think they’d check you completed the programme, but I can’t see them going beyond this due to the time needed to review.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.