Freshfields Personal statement

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi Guys,

I am currently drafting my personal statement and I was wondering if someone could tell me what structure they followed.

I usually use this structure when it comes to cover letters: why commercial law, why that firm, why me.

Should I use the same approach?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Copying Raphael's post below:
    Hey!

So I broke my personal statement down into four parts: (i) why commercial law, (ii) why Freshfields for me, (iii) distinguishing aspects of the Training Programme and (iv) why me.

I gave some-what equal weighting to each part but focused on part (iv) and tried to make my application stand out by giving a mixture of things I did in School (committee work, pro bono) and things I did outside school (Photography/Videography and Trekking mountains).

Personally, I spent 30% of my personal statement on the "why you" portion but always linked my responses to "why Freshfields" and "Freshfields' training programme" to my own personal experiences.

Hope that helps and all the best!!

Romiras

Legendary Member
    Associate
    Apr 3, 2019
    Do not you think that it looks too much like a cover letter?

Why you? does he mean..Freshfields?

The personal statement is similar to a Cover Letter. The really difference is that you don't have to adhere to all the formalities of a cover letter (like the kind you'd see with Slaughter and May). Furthermore, you get a lot more words, often being able to write up to a page and a half. The general structure of a Personal Statement / Cover Letter is similar.

'Why You' refers to 'Why Me' which you previously mentioned. You would ideally detail the soft skills you possess, how you would 'value add' to the firm, and why you're a good fit for Freshfields.

You don't have to follow his advice explicitly as well. Some people have been successful without discussing the training programme. Others without mentioning in detail 'Why Law', etc. However, when you apply to Freshfields, one of their unique features is their training contract structure and that would naturally attract some discussion during the 'Why Freshfields' section, so you do not need to explicitly break it down like in the quote.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    The personal statement is similar to a Cover Letter. The really difference is that you don't have to adhere to all the formalities of a cover letter (like the kind you'd see with Slaughter and May). Furthermore, you get a lot more words, often being able to write up to a page and a half. The general structure of a Personal Statement / Cover Letter is similar.

'Why You' refers to 'Why Me' which you previously mentioned. You would ideally detail the soft skills you possess, how you would 'value add' to the firm, and why you're a good fit for Freshfields.

You don't have to follow his advice explicitly as well. Some people have been successful without discussing the training programme. Others without mentioning in detail 'Why Law', etc. However, when you apply to Freshfields, one of their unique features is their training contract structure and that would naturally attract some discussion during the 'Why Freshfields' section, so you do not need to explicitly break it down like in the quote.

Thank you for your response.

My plan is to definitely mention their training contract mainly because their mandatory seat in dispute resolutions is what is pushing me to apply.
    I have various work experiences in this area and it is definitely what I want to do.

Romiras

Legendary Member
    Associate
    Apr 3, 2019

My plan is to definitely mention their training contract mainly because their mandatory seat in dispute resolutions is what is pushing me to apply.
    I have various work experiences in this area and it is definitely what I want to do.

I'm skeptical about the worth of that. I think most firms require you to do a dispute resolution seat. Even firms that are Corp / Fin focused. This is generally because of regulation.

I'm doubly skeptical you really know what you want to do (I mean that in the nicest way possible), since you'll only ever truly know once you've started your Training Contract and have actually spent substantial time doing real work, after being trained at the firm. Regardless, you should generally refrain from telling an interviewer you're dead-set on a particular practice area, given that you're applying to be a trainee who will be allocated to the firm's needs. They can only accommodate you insofar as it works logistically. However, it is great that you have experience. By leveraging that experience and highlighting your interest in a particular area, that will be received well, as long as you're open to other practice areas.

Reactions: cyberjaz1116 and Jade

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I have two years and half paralegal experience in dispute resolutions..I know what i am talking about. But yeah I will try to be as wide as possible

Romiras

Legendary Member
    Associate
    Apr 3, 2019
    I should have prefaced that I was talking in generalities. You definitely have substantial experience! Although, I think an open-mind is good given that you'll be able to compare different departments, their unique culture, different types of work, etc, when you're rotating through different practice groups. You may end up liking another practice area more.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jade

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

You might want to go beyond just mentioning their mandatory seat in disputes. As @Romiras said, many firms will offer this or they'll provide a means to undertake contentious work in another department/via a course to satisfy the SRA's requirements. Perhaps you could add something else about their disputes practice?

Reactions: S30

James Growth

Nov 21, 2019
    In general, you follow the proper structure but it may not be enough. I think that a quality personal statement must be like your personal story. But you should pay more attention for your achievements and your future goals and of course, you should write why you choose a particular program. I've written my personal statement with Edusson. I've just provided them with all the details and they have completed a personal statement. I've made only a few corrections. As I remember it contained the facts that show me as a motivated person who wants to achieve great goals in the future and that the chosen program is like a staring platform for me. I'll try to find it to share it with you.

• Haha
    Reactions: 7248974268942

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I get why people would use them, but I’d strongly recommend not using a personal statement/essay writing service for this. I see it as being a very risky and disingenuous approach.

Having read probably the best part of 10,000 Freshfields personal statements, I reckon I could also tell you those statements who haven’t be written by the individual

JoNo

Legendary Member
    Jan 28, 2019
    hey guys. should I write the personal statement in the specific formatted file or would it be available to write down it in the blank MS file?

I went to their open day, they said the personal statement must be completed within the specific document requested with their header etc..

But, you could work on the personal statement in a separate word document and once completed then copy and paste it all into their FF document.

J Malone

Valued Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I went to their open day, they said the personal statement must be completed within the specific document requested with their header etc..

But, you could work on the personal statement in a separate word document and once completed then copy and paste it all into their FF document.
    Thanks Aaron. one more thing to ask
    Would it not be a matter to edit and resubmit the application since the firm does a non-rolling basis?
    or should i withdraw the application and reapply for the placement?

JoNo

Legendary Member
    Jan 28, 2019
    Would it not be a matter to edit and resubmit the application since the firm does a non-rolling basis?

I think it’s best to edit and re-submit as the deadline is in January, and they only look at apps after the deadline. If you withdraw there could be a possibility you can’t re-apply again or FF may have a log of you withdrawing your application and find that strange. Definitely think you should just edit your original submission :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

wouldn’t necessarily withdraw and reapply - you might not be able to apply more than once in a cycle and your second application would be seen as one, even if you withdrew your application.

J Malone

Valued Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I think it’s best to edit and re-submit as the deadline is in January, and they only look at apps after the deadline. If you withdraw there could be a possibility you can’t re-apply again or FF may have a log of you withdrawing your application and find that strange. Definitely think you should just edit your original submission :)
    Thanks!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.