Funding while studying GDL/LPC

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Hi all,

This is a maybe quite a personal question that I've been concerned about for a very long time now but never thought to ask on TCLA. For those that have completed the GDL/LPC (with or without firm sponsorship), how did you fund it? I haven't completed the GDL yet as I was concerned about funding/debt, but I am hoping to have a TC by the end of the summer. Even with the firm grants (6-10k depending on the firm), that isn't really enough to live and survive in London.

What did you all do? How did you make it? How much time do you have while studying to get a part-time job? Particularly if you're a career changer, what did you do?

Thanks so much in advance guys! I think it's important to have visibility into topics like these as it really has put me off converting for a long time.

Reactions: Jaysen

thewaythecookiecrumbles

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 14, 2021
    Hi,

So I self-funded my GDL as I was working full-time before and had saved up just enough to start the course. During the GDL I worked part-time (around 21 hours a week) while doing the GDL full-time and while it was a struggle I ended up with a Distinction at the end of the year.

I think you really need to evaluate you situation and what's feasible for you because it's an entirely personal decision. I know so many people who thought and still think it was impossible to work and do the GDL at the same time, but it is all about managing your time really, really well (and also sacrificing things like sleep and social life) so you can study on the weekends and after work.

Alternatively, you could do MA Law which is essentially the GDL, but with a Masters so you can apply for the postgraduate loan. One person I know took out a bank loan, but I don't really know if that's something you would want to consider. You could also even try tutoring or freelancing if you don't want to commit to long-term hours, but want to earn money on the side.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: cmaj

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Hi,

So I self-funded my GDL as I was working full-time before and had saved up just enough to start the course. During the GDL I worked part-time (around 21 hours a week) while doing the GDL full-time and while it was a struggle I ended up with a Distinction at the end of the year.

I think you really need to evaluate you situation and what's feasible for you because it's an entirely personal decision. I know so many people who thought and still think it was impossible to work and do the GDL at the same time, but it is all about managing your time really, really well (and also sacrificing things like sleep and social life) so you can study on the weekends and after work.

Alternatively, you could do MA Law which is essentially the GDL, but with a Masters so you can apply for the postgraduate loan. One person I know took out a bank loan, but I don't really know if that's something you would want to consider. You could also even try tutoring or freelancing if you don't want to commit to long-term hours, but want to earn money on the side.

Hope this helps!

This is really helpful, thank you and thank you for responding!!!! I probably wouldn't take the course without firm sponsorship as I really don't want to take out any kind of loan, but it's helpful to know that you have do enough time to work. I hadn't actually thought about tutoring... I work full-time now and I'm terrified about going back to student life. I think it would be impossible to survive otherwise though when rent in London is so high. It just makes me wonder how anyone who can't live at home during the two years of GDL/LPC copes when rent is more than the grants alone! Do most people struggle? I'm just really worrying about it...

thewaythecookiecrumbles

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 14, 2021
    This is really helpful, thank you and thank you for responding!!!! I probably wouldn't take the course without firm sponsorship as I really don't want to take out any kind of loan, but it's helpful to know that you have do enough time to work. I hadn't actually thought about tutoring... I work full-time now and I'm terrified about going back to student life. I think it would be impossible to survive otherwise though when rent in London is so high. It just makes me wonder how anyone who can't live at home during the two years of GDL/LPC copes when rent is more than the grants alone! Do most people struggle? I'm just really worrying about it...
    Yeah, I think its something that a lot of people without the disposable income have had to think long and hard about. I think sponsorship along with a part time job would cover the costs of living in London and studying the GDL/LPC. You could also think about doing an online GDL/LPC course as I think its a bit cheaper.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.