GDL Grades

KaiL864

Mar 1, 2023
Hello, I am unsure if my chances of getting a TC with a SC or city law firm in London is out of the question.

I will complete my GDL this year and it is most likely that I will graduate with a low or mid 2:1.

However, I did graduate with a 1st in civil engineering from a RG university and have over 10 years' experience in construction litigation/arbitration. I am currently working as an engineering consultant assisting on live projects or disputes.

I have researched a lot of law firms, and while some do state that they want a strong 2:1, most say minimum requirement is 2:1.

That said, do you think my potential low 2:1 will be frowned upon by the recruiter and be passed over by other candidates with better law grades.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Firms tend to aim off on the GDL slightly. It’s a different type of course learning a whole new subject in a year. Getting a commendation or distinction in it is very good, and for many firms a merit will be acceptable too.

Therefore I don’t think this is an issue, especially given your first in your undergraduate degree.

Your chances are much more likely to be determined by the rest of your application by the sounds of it.

KaiL864

Mar 1, 2023
Firms tend to aim off on the GDL slightly. It’s a different type of course learning a whole new subject in a year. Getting a commendation or distinction in it is very good, and for many firms a merit will be acceptable too.

Therefore I don’t think this is an issue, especially given your first in your undergraduate degree.

Your chances are much more likely to be determined by the rest of your application by the sounds of it.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.