GDl in sept at UoL or PDGL in Jan?

Lunasaurus2021

May 10, 2021
Looking to do the conversion course, does anybody have any thoughts on GDL or PGDL? Either I can start in September and do the older version or January and do the newer one at UoL. For context I will be working full time and self funding the course doing it part time online. Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Looking to do the conversion course, does anybody have any thoughts on GDL or PGDL? Either I can start in September and do the older version or January and do the newer one at UoL. For context I will be working full time and self funding the course doing it part time online. Thanks!
Be mindful that if you start the course in January 2022, you will have to take the SQE route to qualification.

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi there,

I tend to advise candidates to set up calls with the different institutions they are considering because tutors are always very happy to help you make an informed decision.

I only did the PGDL this past year at BPP and I cannot compare and contrast because I don't have any other experience. What I will say is that the PGDL is challenging - it is a level 7 qualification and there is a lot of content to cover - but I think the new addition of company law as a module is really excellent for anyone looking at corporate law. I personally found it really interesting and it built my commercial awareness even further. BPP also offered an 'understanding the city' module which was not assessed but can be really beneficial to those making applications as it hones in on what 'the City' is, how it works and all fits together etc.

I hope this helps in some way :)

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Lunasaurus2021

May 10, 2021
Hi there,

I tend to advise candidates to set up calls with the different institutions they are considering because tutors are always very happy to help you make an informed decision.

I only did the PGDL this past year at BPP and I cannot compare and contrast because I don't have any other experience. What I will say is that the PGDL is challenging - it is a level 7 qualification and there is a lot of content to cover - but I think the new addition of company law as a module is really excellent for anyone looking at corporate law. I personally found it really interesting and it built my commercial awareness even further. BPP also offered an 'understanding the city' module which was not assessed but can be really beneficial to those making applications as it hones in on what 'the City' is, how it works and all fits together etc.

Thank you so much for your advice! Can I ask what motivated you do choose PGDL at BPP over the GDL? I’ve already done a masters in international law, but my undergraduate wasn’t in law hence wanting to convert :) I’m thinking PDGL maybe as it’s a newer version sort of like when o-levels changed to A levels. Thanks!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Thank you so much for your advice! Can I ask what motivated you do choose PGDL at BPP over the GDL? I’ve already done a masters in international law, but my undergraduate wasn’t in law hence wanting to convert :) I’m thinking PDGL maybe as it’s a newer version sort of like when o-levels changed to A levels. Thanks!
    I'm not sure @Alice G had a choice because of her training contract with Freshfields which has links with BPP?

Just to add my perspective, I've done the GDL at ULaw this year and have been really impressed with the care and attention they have to students in the pandemic e.g. with exam extensions, well-organised timetables, good quality teaching, sending out physical copies of materials etc.

They've done a good job and have actively listened to any concerns and implemented them so tbh I've been really impressed and so it seems, judging by what I've read online anyway, that they dealt with the craziness of the last year much more effectively than BPP.

Equally, although the PGDL at BPP has a company law module, ULaw has a Law of Organisations module option which is effectively the same thing and covers partnerships, LLPs, LTDs, private equity, company finance etc so it's also really helpful for developing commercial awareness and those interested in working in corporate law

I also think ULaw may be a bit cheaper than BPP but don't quote me on that haha

Either way, whichever institution you choose, you'll be fine as both have pretty good reputations, good quality of teaching and are used by law firms for a reason!

PS: Wasn't it O-Levels that changed to GCSEs, fairly sure A-levels have been around 'forever' no?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Alison C

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Indeed @Daniel Boden is right, I am a future trainee and so I went to BPP because it is the provider Freshfields uses :)

I also didn't know about the Law of Organisations module either @Daniel Boden, it does sound similar.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

shadow-demon

Star Member
    May 9, 2021
    Hi there,

I have to disagree with you about the 'understanding the city' module. It was a complete waste of time.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have to disagree with you about the 'understanding the city' module. It was a complete waste of time.
    It maybe a waste of time to some, especially if they have that knowledge already. But not everyone will and not everyone will have to determination/drive to educate themselves about it via online learning, especially if they are holding down a full-time course and other commitments.

shadow-demon

Star Member
    May 9, 2021
    It maybe a waste of time to some, especially if they have that knowledge already. But not everyone will and not everyone will have to determination/drive to educate themselves about it via online learning, especially if they are holding down a full-time course and other commitments.
    The information wasn't a waste, it was just the way they structured it. They handed us some slides before the workshop and went through really basic and fundamental concepts that people in the city consortium should be aware of, which a lot of people were. It was also weird to do it towards the end of the PGDL when we were all tired, fed-up and just wanted the PGDL to be over.

It was not a course for all the students on the PGDL. Considering they charge a lot of money for the module as a standalone course for anyone interested, I was surprised at how useless it was. Again, this is my own opinion, probably due to the fact that I learned all this stuff for my interview prep with firms.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The information wasn't a waste, it was just the way they structured it. They handed us some slides before the workshop and went through really basic and fundamental concepts that people in the city consortium should be aware of, which a lot of people were. It was also weird to do it towards the end of the PGDL when we were all tired, fed-up and just wanted the PGDL to be over.

It was not a course for all the students on the PGDL. Considering they charge a lot of money for the module as a standalone course for anyone interested, I was surprised at how useless it was. Again, this is my own opinion, probably due to the fact that I learned all this stuff for my interview prep with firms.
    Firm's cant really afford to assume you have this knowledge through an interview alone, so I can understand why it is included, even if the course itself isn't appreciated by those attending it.

That is often the case for any training to be fair though. Lots of "just in case" content for the lowest common denominator.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.