GDL or PGDL?

KT2104

Standard Member
Premium Member
Feb 5, 2019
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could detail any trade-offs between chosing the PGDL over the GDL for someone looking to complete vacation schemes next year.

I also wanted to ask what would qualifying under the new SQE regime look like? I presume I cannot complete a training contract this way, but surely this does not matter as most corporate law firms will have transitioned to the new standards, at least by the time I qualify (2025 / 2026)?

I have a feeling it might be better to study the PGDL under the new regime, but I also feel I might have to wait a few years before commercial law firms will catch up to this new mode of training.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could detail any trade-offs between chosing the PGDL over the GDL for someone looking to complete vacation schemes next year.

I also wanted to ask what would qualifying under the new SQE regime look like? I presume I cannot complete a training contract this way, but surely this does not matter as most corporate law firms will have transitioned to the new standards, at least by the time I qualify (2025 / 2026)?

I have a feeling it might be better to study the PGDL under the new regime, but I also feel I might have to wait a few years before commercial law firms will catch up to this new mode of training.
My understanding is that the PGDL has a new structure where exams take place twice a year (as opposed to once) and does not include EU law in the aftermath of Brexit. It also includes more multiple-choice questions (MCQs) in the assessments I believe, in preparation for the SQE which is all MCQs.

You will be completing a training contract under the new SQE process if you are applying this year or next year, although that would not preclude you from taking the PGDL or GDL. Ultimately, to qualify under the SQE process you simply need to pass the SQE1 and SQE2 exams and then complete two years of qualifying work experience, instead of undergoing the formal training contract that has been used up until now.

I'll now defer to @Jessica Booker on this as she will be able to advise you further and can correct me where needed!

• ℹ️
Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,

Most firms are moving to the SQE for their 2023 or 2024 trainee intakes, as there won’t be many non-law grads who can take the existing qualification route as of next year. Therefore, I don’t think you have to worry about firms catching up - many are already on track to convert. It would only be if you are seeking firms that don’t sponsor legal training (eg LPC or SQE) that you find they are slower to convert (as they typically don’t take on as many non-law grads pre legal training anyway).

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
My twins did the PGDL with BPP last academic year and it is indeed as James C says above. They finished in April (in fact it gave one time to do 3 months as a paralegal before the LPC) so the earlier end than the GDL their sisters did was useful. I didn't it was worse. In fact they did company law so I thought that was better than under the GDL. As far as I remember all papers had the normal type of example situation with answers to be given and also multiple choice too (so not the 100% MCQ of SQE1). It was a complex year as it was the first year BPP ran the new PGDL course (so no past papers to look at etc) plus it was 100% online that year because of covid including online typed exams.

more not less helpful than the GDL. I believe the City Consortium are putting SQE people who don't have a law degree through the PGDL (2 15 week terms) once they start with that. I presume that then allows the 3rd term for SQE1 course and exam for the non law graduates.

Clach555

Jan 5, 2021
Hi, I secured a TC last year and my contract specifies that I need to be awarded a merit in the GDL. The contract specifies that in the event that I don't achieve a merit, my TC may be taken away. I've just finished my mocks and I'm feeling slightly panicked about the reality of actually achieving a merit - I was wondering if firms actually would take back an offer on completion of the GDL if you did not in fact achieve a merit?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I secured a TC last year and my contract specifies that I need to be awarded a merit in the GDL. The contract specifies that in the event that I don't achieve a merit, my TC may be taken away. I've just finished my mocks and I'm feeling slightly panicked about the reality of actually achieving a merit - I was wondering if firms actually would take back an offer on completion of the GDL if you did not in fact achieve a merit?
I don't want to create further panic, but the reality is yes, they could take your TC offer away if you don't achieve a merit. For them to have this term in the contract, it is important to them. If they didn't utilise it, then there is no reason for it to be in the contract. Exceptions only tend to be for those with mitigating circumstances.

If it is a sponsored GDL with a specific provider, you should speak to your personal tutor about getting additional support to help you prepare for future assessments - the institution doesn't want to look to be failing you when there is a big contract with a law firm on the line. However, you should also do this if you are doing the GDL of your own accord or the firm stated you could study it anywhere. Utilise all of the institution's support mechanisms as best as you can and don't be fearful for asking for this help (or demanding it).

You should also ask for feedback to try and find out how to improve your future grades. Don't hold back in pushing for this support. Also look for other support mechanisms (e.g. fellow students, reducing other commitments) to put yourself in the strongest position.

Reactions: Jaysen and AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.