time2work

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Nov 7, 2020
Hi all,

I have come to the forum because I have quite the conundrum. I have just graduated with a first in a non-law degree at a Russell-Group university. I have a place to study the PGDL at BPP this month and have applied for the masters' route to provide me with some financial help. Originally, I was supposed to have financial aid from my parents to pay my tuition and at the last minute they have backed out on this agreement. My living situation is not ideal, and I need to move out in order to protect my mental health and to have an appropriate place to study. However, the funding for the PGDL does not provide me with enough money to support myself financially and pay my tuition. I am really set on completing the PGDL as soon as possible as I really want my legal career up and running, however, don't think it will be possible for me to study full time and work enough part-time hours to pay rent. I am now seriously considering taking the GDL part-time, whilst working to support my living situation. Would studying the GDL part-time place me at a disadvantage when it comes to getting my career underway/applying for TCS/VSs? I am currently very time conscious. Could it also be possible to study the GDL at BPP part-time from this September and perhaps transfer to full-time in January when I have more financial stability?

Would really appreciate any advice/help/guidance as I feel at a loss.

Thanks!

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Hey - first of all, sorry to hear about what sounds like a tough situation but great that you're thinking about it proactively. I worked full-time and studied part-time. I completed my first year working pretty much 9-5, commuting to an office and travelling fairly frequently internationally for work. I did the GDL on a Saturday. In my second year, the pandemic hit and I was working from home and not travelling which was a blessing in disguise as I was able to focus much more easily on the GDL (weird to say given how bad the lockdowns etc were in general). Only giving this background to caveat that mine wasn't really a fully 'normal' experience.

I found the balance between work and study fine, if a bit hectic at times - particularly close to exams. If you can be incredibly organised, have a job where you are fairly sure of the hours and study smartly (i.e. be really focussed on what and how you are studying, without procrastinating), it's possible. I also managed to fit in some pro bono and legal work experience to bulk up my CV. Unfortunately most of my annual leave was used up on revision and the work experience, but I just kept the long-term goal in mind.

One thing I just didn't get time to do was apply for VS/TCs so I purposely left these until my course was finished. At this stage, I also had my final results so could prove my aptitude (in terms of my grade and also ability to juggle many things at once). I don't think studying it part-time puts you at any disadvantage - I got 2 vac schemes, both of which I converted, in my first cycle. I'm not sure about the possibility to transfer as you may not have completed the pre-requisite courses in time to sit the exams, but this is something that BPP will be able to answer more fully of course.

If you have any other questions, I am more than happy to help. All the best.

Reactions: Alison C

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    By the time you would be eligible to start a TC (2025), many firms will have moved to the SQE. Although the GDL will be a good way to prep for the SQE, it is probably the most expensive way. Therefore, if money is an issue, you could look at cheaper alternatives to the GDL or just apply this year and see if you secure a TC, and then potentially get funding/support via the firm.

You are unlikely to be able to transfer the GDL from part time to full time within three months, without potentially having to rehash some of the content already studied.

time2work

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 7, 2020
    Hey - first of all, sorry to hear about what sounds like a tough situation but great that you're thinking about it proactively. I worked full-time and studied part-time. I completed my first year working pretty much 9-5, commuting to an office and travelling fairly frequently internationally for work. I did the GDL on a Saturday. In my second year, the pandemic hit and I was working from home and not travelling which was a blessing in disguise as I was able to focus much more easily on the GDL (weird to say given how bad the lockdowns etc were in general). Only giving this background to caveat that mine wasn't really a fully 'normal' experience.

I found the balance between work and study fine, if a bit hectic at times - particularly close to exams. If you can be incredibly organised, have a job where you are fairly sure of the hours and study smartly (i.e. be really focussed on what and how you are studying, without procrastinating), it's possible. I also managed to fit in some pro bono and legal work experience to bulk up my CV. Unfortunately most of my annual leave was used up on revision and the work experience, but I just kept the long-term goal in mind.

One thing I just didn't get time to do was apply for VS/TCs so I purposely left these until my course was finished. At this stage, I also had my final results so could prove my aptitude (in terms of my grade and also ability to juggle many things at once). I don't think studying it part-time puts you at any disadvantage - I got 2 vac schemes, both of which I converted, in my first cycle. I'm not sure about the possibility to transfer as you may not have completed the pre-requisite courses in time to sit the exams, but this is something that BPP will be able to answer more fully of course.

If you have any other questions, I am more than happy to help. All the best.
    Thank you for this sound advice, it has really put me at ease.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.