GDL results and TC applications

Casual

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 6, 2019
    Hi everyone!

I just got my GDL results and while most of the grades are 2:1 (with firsts in EU and Tort), my Contract and Public Law are mid 2:2. The overall grade is Commendation (66) but after hearing how important the Contract Law grade is, I am worried this may affect my future applications.

Given that my performance at undergrad was not perfect (RG, got mid 2:1 overall but with a few 2:2s in the first and second year and failed condonable dissertation in the third year), I am contemplating whether I should apply for an August resit or focus on preparing for the next application cycle instead.

Any opinions/advice would be very much appreciated!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone!

I just got my GDL results and while most of the grades are 2:1 (with firsts in EU and Tort), my Contract and Public Law are mid 2:2. The overall grade is Commendation (66) but after hearing how important the Contract Law grade is, I am worried this may affect my future applications.

Given that my performance at undergrad was not perfect (RG, got mid 2:1 overall but with a few 2:2s in the first and second year and failed condonable dissertation in the third year), I am contemplating whether I should apply for an August resit or focus on preparing for the next application cycle instead.

Any opinions/advice would be very much appreciated!
    Not an issue at all. Very few firms fixate on GDL grades.

You’d have to declare the resits anyway and there is no guarantee you would get stronger results the second time around.

The biggest issue here I can see is failing your dissertation. That will be slightly worrying to many firms.

Casual

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 6, 2019
    Not an issue at all. Very few firms fixate on GDL grades.

You’d have to declare the resits anyway and there is no guarantee you would get stronger results the second time around.

The biggest issue here I can see is failing your dissertation. That will be slightly worrying to many firms.
    Thank you for a prompt reply, it made me feel better!
    Could you please elaborate why low dissertation mark specifically would be worrying for law firms so I could address that in my future applications?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for a prompt reply, it made me feel better!
    Could you please elaborate why low dissertation mark specifically would be worrying for law firms so I could address that in my future applications?
    It’s not that it’s low, it’s that it is failed.

Any failed module is particularly challenging, but especially something like a dissertation where you have the opportunity to really influence the content of the dissertation (and have lots of time to complete it) can be more concerning.

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    Sorry, just to piggyback off of this thread about something similar:

I'm having a little bit of a meltdown about my GDL grades. would you, @Jessica Booker , have any insights as to how detrimental this will be for me if i want to apply to silver circle firms? i think i got an overall 2:1 but this doesn't reflect very well.

my grades have dipped since 2019 for various mitigating circumstances but i don't know if that's just too much faff for graduate recruitment to consider me. i've done a lot of virtual internships and pro bono programmes during my GDL to show my willingness to learn/dedication to a legal career if that helps 🥲 🥲 🥲

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sorry, just to piggyback off of this thread about something similar:

I'm having a little bit of a meltdown about my GDL grades. would you, @Jessica Booker , have any insights as to how detrimental this will be for me if i want to apply to silver circle firms? i think i got an overall 2:1 but this doesn't reflect very well:

Tort - 72
    Equity - 72
    Land - 68
    Contract - 65
    Public - 58
    EU - 58
    Criminal - 55
    Ethics - 52
    Law of Org - 45

this makes me feel a little naked so i'll delete it shortly but to give further context i have a bachelor in architecture (62%), masters in architecture (70%), post graduate diploma in architecture (pass). my grades have dipped since 2019 for various mitigating circumstances but i don't know if that's just too much faff for graduate recruitment to consider me. i've done a lot of virtual internships and pro bono programmes during my GDL to show my willingness to learn/dedication to a legal career if that helps 🥲 🥲 🥲
    You have mitigating circumstances which firms will consider, so I don’t think there is an issue here.

Even without mitigating circumstances, I think most firms wouldn’t put too much weighting on your GDL grades.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Alison C

adamBS

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 7, 2021
    You have mitigating circumstances which firms will consider, so I don’t think there is an issue here.

Even without mitigating circumstances, I think most firms wouldn’t put too much weighting on your GDL grades.
    Out of interest, why do firms care more about your undergraduate results than the GDL? I got a mid 2:1 at undergrad but a very high distinction in the GDL. Is it not a little counterintuitive to fixate more on undergrad modules that are entirely irrelevant to law?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Out of interest, why do firms care more about your undergraduate results than the GDL? I got a mid 2:1 at undergrad but a very high distinction in the GDL. Is it not a little counterintuitive to fixate more on undergrad modules that are entirely irrelevant to law?
    Because your degree is something you chose to do while the GDL is a requirement you have to do.

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
    Highest Rated Member
    May 4, 2020
    As a general rule, graduate "professional" qualifications (not just in law but elsewhere too) are just viewed as being less prestigious than academic achievements. Not least because many professional qualifications - and especially the GDL - are really just a box-ticking exercise that can be completed from memory, rather than being academic in any way.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Sophia1619

Sep 29, 2021
    Can I also hop on and ask about my situation. I am doing my PGDL. I cannot say I am doing great. No matter how hard I study I have so far only managed to get a 66 in company law. The rest of my marks are in the 50s. I have a 2.1 in my BA from a very good university and I have 3+ years of very good work experience outside of the legal profession. Basically, how screwed am I?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can I also hop on and ask about my situation. I am doing my PGDL. I cannot say I am doing great. No matter how hard I study I have so far only managed to get a 66 in company law. The rest of my marks are in the 50s. I have a 2.1 in my BA from a very good university and I have 3+ years of very good work experience outside of the legal profession. Basically, how screwed am I?
    Not really an issue unless you are only aiming for firms who are known to be strict on academic performance.

RS Sinatra

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    May 29, 2020
    Hi!

@Jessica Booker I am international candidate and failed one module in PGDL at BPP. I received 47/100 in the resit and the pass mark was 50. Since I failed the resit, I failed the whole course and therefore I received no degree. I did not have any valid mitigating circumstances and could not appeal the decision. I am a foreign qualified lawyer and currently looking to work as a paralegal. I plan to give the SQE 1 and 2 next year. I want to know if my chances to secure a TC are nil? Thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi!

@Jessica Booker I am international candidate and failed one module in PGDL at BPP. I received 47/100 in the resit and the pass mark was 50. Since I failed the resit, I failed the whole course and therefore I received no degree. I did not have any valid mitigating circumstances and could not appeal the decision. I am a foreign qualified lawyer and currently looking to work as a paralegal. I plan to give the SQE 1 and 2 next year. I want to know if my chances to secure a TC are nil? Thanks in advance.
    I want to be honest - this is complicated.

As you are qualified in another jurisdiction and now looking to take the SQE, you don’t need a training contract. As soon as you pass the SQE you will be qualified in England and Wales as foreign qualified lawyers don’t need to accumulate 2 years of qualifying work experience.

Therefore you will be in a very tricky situation where many firms will not bring you on as a trainee as you are technically qualified already.

Therefore it isn’t necessarily the GDL that is the issue here, more the fact that you be qualified from a regulatory perspective but not have the comparative experience of most NQs in the market.

RS Sinatra

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    May 29, 2020
    I want to be honest - this is complicated.

As you are qualified in another jurisdiction and now looking to take the SQE, you don’t need a training contract. As soon as you pass the SQE you will be qualified in England and Wales as foreign qualified lawyers don’t need to accumulate 2 years of qualifying work experience.

Therefore you will be in a very tricky situation where many firms will not bring you on as a trainee as you are technically qualified already.

Therefore it isn’t necessarily the GDL that is the issue here, more the fact that you be qualified from a regulatory perspective but not have the comparative experience of most NQs in the market.
    Thank you! I have a follow up question
    So what would be my best option here?
    1) Take the PGDL again and apply for TCs but given the previous failed attempt, will firms consider my application?
    2) Take the SQE , work as a Paralegal and then eventually transition to being a lawyer?
    or would you recommend another course of action? Thanks!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.