Help!

• MA Law/LLM (part-time) with financing in September 2020 (TC start earliest March 2024)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • GDL (part-time) self-funded in January 2021 (TC start earliest September 2023)

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Wait another year, hope for a TC and do the SQE (TC start earliest September 2023)

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Hi all,

I have a MAJOR career conundrum. So sorry in advance for the long post but it is giving me a big headache and I would be so grateful for some advice from you lovely people.

I am a non-law graduate, having left university two years ago, and I am now in full-time work. I have a good job and really don't want to leave it until I have secured a training contract. I've been trying to convert to law for the last two years and have now built up a significant amount of experience. I'm really hoping that this year I'll secure a TC off the back of my efforts!

I've heard a lot of mixed opinions from legal professionals about the SQE - I've lost count of the amont of people telling me to avoid it! Due to this, I'd planned to start the LLM/MA Law part-time in January to give me the option of doing the GDL/LPC instead of the SQE route. The plan was to complete this conversion part-time from January 2021 to May 2022 (four terms) and then the LPC full-time from Sep 2022 to May 2023, hopefully beginning a training contract in September 2023. However, there are two caveats:
    • I would prefer to do the LLM/MA Law in January 2021 rather than September 2020 because I have just started a new role. It would be too difficult to do both the training for this and make VS/TC applications at the same time as starting the LLM/MA Law.

• I had intended on the LLM/MA Law over the GDL as I would prefer to have financing. Unfortunately, I have just discovered that doing this would mean an additional term at law school and I would not be finished until January 2023, consequently making me unable to begin a training contract in September 2023.
    This means my options are:
    1. Start the MA Law/LLM (part-time) with financing in September 2020 (TC start earliest March 2024)
      Pros: full PG funding and making progress towards my future career.
      Cons: I wouldn't do as well and could struggle in the first term due to having no time to study, or could burn out.

2. Start the GDL (part-time) self-funded in January 2021 (TC start earliest September 2023)
      Pros: it fits my schedule, keeps my options open and is making progress towards my future career.
      Cons: I could be spending 9k on a redundant qualification.

3. Wait another year, hope I get a training contract this year and do the SQE (TC start earliest September 2023)
      Pros: could be easier? Hopefully funded by a firm, will be alongside the trainee cohort, everybody is in the same boat. Wouldn't have to study alongside full-time work.
      Cons: it could be a car crash and limits me to doing it rather than the GDL. If I don't get a TC this year, I have wasted a year.
    In summary, I really don't want to waste another year before entering law BUT I also don't want to waste my savings on self-funding the GDL if the qualification becomes redundant BUT I'm really nervous about the SQE! It almost feels like I'm doomed either way! I'm leaning towards just leaving it and doing the SQE but I don't want to pigeonhole myself.

I hope my understanding is correct and my explanation is clear. Please let me know if it is not! :)

My immediate questions upon writing this post are:
    • What would you all recommend?
    • Does anyone have experience of scholarships at BPP/ULaw? Would I be viable for one while in full-time work?
    • Are any firms indicating any preference yet? Are any likely to enforce everybody doing the SQE in the near future to put all trainees on an equal level?
    If you've reached this far, thanks so much for reading!!!! :D

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    To be frank, the MA/LLM could be as much of a redundant qualification as the GDL.

Many firms have decided to push back their SQE intakes to 2024 now given individuals can now take the GDL anytime up until 31st December 2021 - just something to consider.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: cmaj and Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi all,

I have a MAJOR career conundrum. So sorry in advance for the long post but it is giving me a big headache and I would be so grateful for some advice from you lovely people.

I am a non-law graduate, having left university two years ago, and I am now in full-time work. I have a good job and really don't want to leave it until I have secured a training contract. I've been trying to convert to law for the last two years and have now built up a significant amount of experience. I'm really hoping that this year I'll secure a TC off the back of my efforts!

I've heard a lot of mixed opinions from legal professionals about the SQE - I've lost count of the amont of people telling me to avoid it! Due to this, I'd planned to start the LLM/MA Law part-time in January to give me the option of doing the GDL/LPC instead of the SQE route. The plan was to complete this conversion part-time from January 2021 to May 2022 (four terms) and then the LPC full-time from Sep 2022 to May 2023, hopefully beginning a training contract in September 2023. However, there are two caveats:
    • I would prefer to do the LLM/MA Law in January 2021 rather than September 2020 because I have just started a new role. It would be too difficult to do both the training for this and make VS/TC applications at the same time as starting the LLM/MA Law.

• I had intended on the LLM/MA Law over the GDL as I would prefer to have financing. Unfortunately, I have just discovered that doing this would mean an additional term at law school and I would not be finished until January 2023, consequently making me unable to begin a training contract in September 2023.
    This means my options are:
    1. Start the MA Law/LLM (part-time) with financing in September 2020 (TC start earliest March 2024)
      Pros: full PG funding and making progress towards my future career.
      Cons: I wouldn't do as well and could struggle in the first term due to having no time to study, or could burn out.

2. Start the GDL (part-time) self-funded in January 2021 (TC start earliest September 2023)
      Pros: it fits my schedule, keeps my options open and is making progress towards my future career.
      Cons: I could be spending 9k on a redundant qualification.

3. Wait another year, hope I get a training contract this year and do the SQE (TC start earliest September 2023)
      Pros: could be easier? Hopefully funded by a firm, will be alongside the trainee cohort, everybody is in the same boat. Wouldn't have to study alongside full-time work.
      Cons: it could be a car crash and limits me to doing it rather than the GDL. If I don't get a TC this year, I have wasted a year.
    In summary, I really don't want to waste another year before entering law BUT I also don't want to waste my savings on self-funding the GDL if the qualification becomes redundant BUT I'm really nervous about the SQE! It almost feels like I'm doomed either way! I'm leaning towards just leaving it and doing the SQE but I don't want to pigeonhole myself.

I hope my understanding is correct and my explanation is clear. Please let me know if it is not! :)

My immediate questions upon writing this post are:
    • What would you all recommend?
    • Does anyone have experience of scholarships at BPP/ULaw? Would I be viable for one while in full-time work?
    • Are any firms indicating any preference yet? Are any likely to enforce everybody doing the SQE in the near future to put all trainees on an equal level?
    If you've reached this far, thanks so much for reading!!!! :D
    From discussions I've had with various lawyers at various firms in the city, a lot of firms are not particularly confident with the new SQE model which is why, as Jess said, they are pushing back their SQE intakes.

Personally, I wouldn't fancy being a guinea pig in the SQE and would do the established GDL if you can afford it as that will allow you to start your TC on time as it were. Or, if finances may be an issue then I'd do the funded MA because I think based on what you have said that you could do the accelerate LPC if required and still start on time?

Reactions: cmaj

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Thanks so much both for responding. :)

To be frank, the MA/LLM could be as much of a redundant qualification as the GDL.

Many firms have decided to push back their SQE intakes to 2024 now given individuals can now take the GDL anytime up until 31st December 2021 - just something to consider.

Yeah, agreed but it wouldn't feel as much of a hit in the short-term if I had it funded and were gradually paying back a loan rather than using my current savings.

Regarding SQE intakes pushed to 2024, that's really interesting to know. Does that mean could begin the GDL in Sep 2021?

From discussions I've had with various lawyers at various firms in the city, a lot of firms are not particularly confident with the new SQE model which is why, as Jess said, they are pushing back their SQE intakes.

Personally, I wouldn't fancy being a guinea pig in the SQE and would do the established GDL if you can afford it as that will allow you to start your TC on time as it were. Or, if finances may be an issue then I'd do the funded MA because I think based on what you have said that you could do the accelerate LPC if required and still start on time?

This is what I thought and is why I wanted to try and avoid doing it! It's a really hard decision to make though... whats the accelerated LPC? I don't know anything about that!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks so much both for responding. :)

Yeah, agreed but it wouldn't feel as much of a hit in the short-term if I had it funded and were gradually paying back a loan rather than using my current savings.

Regarding SQE intakes pushed to 2024, that's really interesting to know. Does that mean could begin the GDL in Sep 2021?

This is what I thought and is why I wanted to try and avoid doing it! It's a really hard decision to make though... whats the accelerated LPC? I don't know anything about that!

there are master level GDLs that are eligible for postgrad funding (that is what you might have meant though by your other option). You have to remember that once you use it for the GDL masters, you wouldn’t be eligible again for a masters level LPC though.

Yes - you will now be able to start the GDL anytime up to 31 December 2021 as long as you are signed up to the course by August 2021.

The accelerated LPC is a 6-7 month course instead of a 9-10 month course. You just study in a more intense way. Some firms put their future trainees on these courses. They aren’t masters level though and aren’t eligible for PG funding though.

Last edited:
    Reactions: cmaj

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    there are master level GDLs that are eligible for postgrad funding (that is what you might have meant though by your other option). You have to remember that once you use it for the GDL masters, you wouldn’t be eligible again for a masters level LPC though.

Yes - you will now be able to start the GDL anytime up to 31 December 2021 as long as you are signed up to the course by August 2021.

The accelerated LPC is a 6-7 month course instead of a 9-10 month course. You just study in a more intense way. Some firms put their future trainees on these courses. They aren’t masters level though and aren’t eligible for PG funding though.
    I thought the accelerated LPC was masters level if you do the business masters component of it? Or is that not the case?

Popal

Distinguished Member
    Feb 25, 2020
    Hello! I have done the GDL and was considering going down the SQE route as I am accruing legal work experience. I know for the SQE, you can perform the steps in any order i.e. work experience then exams, or vice versa. Can work experience count for anything at all on the LPC route to qualification? Or do you then have to do the further two years' experience post-LPC? Reading this thread makes me think I should do the LPC-route after all, perhaps.
    Many thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello! I have done the GDL and was considering going down the SQE route as I am accruing legal work experience. I know for the SQE, you can perform the steps in any order i.e. work experience then exams, or vice versa. Can work experience count for anything at all on the LPC route to qualification? Or do you then have to do the further two years' experience post-LPC? Reading this thread makes me think I should do the LPC-route after all, perhaps.
    Many thanks

Technically any signed off work experience will count - you could have accumulated it many years before starting the SQE.

However, what isn’t clear, is whether that work experience will make you employable. For instance, you can get your work experience accumulated in a university law clinic signed off. To be completely frank about this, that isn’t the equivalent of what you would experience as a trainee in a large commercial law firm.

So there is a real risk that you become over qualified by passing the SQE, but under experienced because your qualifying work experience is not comparative to what a law firm could offer. This happens in the accountancy sector a lot! The risk is that you are perceived as someone who could work at a qualified level purely because you have met the requirements of be qualified, but you can’t meet the requirements of the individual employer who has much higher expectations than the general industry standard.

Reactions: cmaj and Popal

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.