General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    It's holiday season - lots of partners/heads of departments will be on holiday with their kids, some probably wont be back until next week where a lot of the private schools do not go back until Monday.

So give it a couple more weeks. 10 days seems like a long time to you, to a partner/head of department, it feels like 10 hours.

If you haven't heard back by mid September, drop a very quick/brief email asking if there is any further information you can provide. If you don't hear back after that, then unfortunately it is just one of those things that is likely to come to nothing.
    Thanks, Jessica! I'll wait it out a bit longer :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker
    Is it possible or reasonable to ask a firm for deferment of a winter vac scheme until spring or summer?

You can ask. But it’s just as reasonable and possible for the firm to say no.

If they run spring/summer schemes for different groups of people and you don’t meet the criteria for them, they are probably more likely to say no. If they don’t run Spring or Summer schemes, there’s an even higher chance of them saying no.

EA

Star Member
    Jun 22, 2020
    You can ask. But it’s just as reasonable and possible for the firm to say no.

If they run spring/summer schemes for different groups of people and you don’t meet the criteria for them, they are probably more likely to say no. If they don’t run Spring or Summer schemes, there’s an even higher chance of them saying no.
    Thanks Jessica.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Oh right sorry to hear... Which day did you hear? I have not heard post-first interview and was wondering what is going on.

I think it was Monday ☺️ ah yeah that sounds really frustrating, I don't think they will have forgotten about you though, maybe they are waiting to see whether all of their offers get accepted?

c1070

Esteemed Member
    Mar 4, 2020
    Has anyone had any communication with Forsters? I got their email about holding interviews towards the end of summer/year instead of the cancelled vac scheme and emailed them beginning of August just to see if they have any further info but didn’t get a response. I know they’ll tell everyone when they’ve finalised plans but not even an acknowledgment is frustrating...

smct96

Standard Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jul 2, 2020
    Has anyone had any communication with Forsters? I got their email about holding interviews towards the end of summer/year instead of the cancelled vac scheme and emailed them beginning of August just to see if they have any further info but didn’t get a response. I know they’ll tell everyone when they’ve finalised plans but not even an acknowledgment is frustrating...

Hey I got an email last week to say 'As it presently stands, we have put graduate recruitment on hold and hope to pick this back up again at a later stage in the year when we have a clearer picture of what office life will look like and it is safe to have candidates in for assessments and interviews.'

Hope that helps! I guess they're still working it out and they'll resume when they can

Nat000

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    I have an interview coming up with HR as part of the TC interview process. Does anyone know what kind of questions they'd expect to be asked at the end? I've prepped questions for the partners but I can't think of anything to ask HR that wouldn't make me look like an idiot...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have an interview coming up with HR as part of the TC interview process. Does anyone know what kind of questions they'd expect to be asked at the end? I've prepped questions for the partners but I can't think of anything to ask HR that wouldn't make me look like an idiot...

Genuine questions you want answered - that could be anything about how your training contract will work, learning, seat allocations, secondment opportunities etc - basically anything HR would know that individual partners wouldn't

Reactions: Alice G

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Anyone heard from Orrick on when they are holding open days?
    Is this for the open day scheduled for last March? I emailed grad rec about it recently and they said they are hoping to organise something in person for September/October time but I imagine that is subject to change.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Lauren2
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.