Getting an internship as a non-law student

Armiie

Nov 17, 2020
Hi, hope this finds you well :)

I wanted to ask if it was possible for me to get a legal internship at a MC / any other firm?

I don't study law, I study computer science. But I am planning on going into law after my degree.

I have heard conflicting things.
- some say I CANNOT get a legal internship without being a lawyer / law student.
- others say the only way to improve my application for the future is to get legal experience now.

I'd appreciate some advice :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi, hope this finds you well :)

I wanted to ask if it was possible for me to get a legal internship at a MC / any other firm?

I don't study law, I study computer science. But I am planning on going into law after my degree.

I have heard conflicting things.
    - some say I CANNOT get a legal internship without being a lawyer / law student.
    - others say the only way to improve my application for the future is to get legal experience now.

I'd appreciate some advice :)
    Whoever told you that you can't get a law internship as a non-law student is mistaken - it is very possible to do so! Many vacation scheme places and training contracts are given to non-law students. In my biased opinion (I studied History and Spanish) studying a non-law degree can be more attractive to firms as it makes you a more rounded candidate and can give you transferrable skills which are very useful to a legal career :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Armiie

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.