Getting through another application cycle after rejections?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Some great advice from @Alice G -

Top tips for renewing your motivation for the next application cycle
    1. Give yourself time. Time really is a great healer, so give yourself time to reflect and process the events from the past year. While some applications open in August, do not forget that firms hold events and open days right into November. Yes, be mindful of rolling basis applications, but just make sure to prioritise those effectively.
    2. Create a new plan. For me, this meant not only thinking about everything I had learned about the law and different firms over the past year, but also, and most importantly, what it was that I learned about myself. In doing so, I have been able to decide what types of firms to apply to with a far greater understanding of what I want from my long-term career. It has also meant that I have been able to think what I could be doing to better myself as an applicant.
    3. Attend your first event of the new cycle! At first, I went with a feeling of dread, but when I got there, I was reminded of how much I actually enjoyed learning about different firms and meeting so many new and interesting people who are in the same boat as me! Just making that one small step really helped me.
    4. Do not trawl through LinkedIn or spend too much time on people’s Instagram pages. Comparing yourself to someone else is never going to make you a better or more worthy candidate. Keep in mind that people develop and progress at their own pace and people very rarely post about the rejections they have had to endure prior to their eventual success. Essentially, we can never fully appreciate the lives or experiences of others so own your own journey and focus on you!
    5. Celebrate all of the achievements you have had in the last year and reflect also on how far you have come. Sadly, I tend to find that the pain of rejection lingers far longer than the euphoria of success but celebrating your victories can really help you to feel more motivated. I had a lovely message recently when someone reminded me of how amazing it is to get a place on vacation schemes and to have reached AC stages with international firms. It honestly did take someone else to point this out for me to take a step back and allow myself to feel proud of my achievements. Be kind to yourself and give yourself the advice you know you would give to a best friend.
    6. Lastly, do things you enjoy throughout this winter season and prioritise your happiness. Applications are tough but ensure you make time to see family and friends to give you social events to look forward to. You can also make sure that you do things for yourself on a daily basis. This might be going to the gym, reading a book (and I mean one which isn’t university related!!), having a bath or playing music/an instrument. Regardless of what it is, taking half an hour for yourself each day and getting outside of the ‘application headspace’ can really help to make the process less of a chore.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.