Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    When was your Gibson Dunn interview?

September 2017

What was it for?

Training contract

Please describe the interview process at Gibson Dunn.

Met grad recruitment for 10 min informal chat on my career aspirations and where I saw myself in 5 year then an approximately 45 min case study interview with partner and senior associate, disappointing experience, while one was talking to me, the other would be on their phone texting (they took turns doing this the entire interview), they seemed uninterested in being there.

What advice would you give to future applicants for the Gibson Dunn interview?

N/A

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

February 2018

What was it for?

Vacation scheme

• Short 10-15 minute interview with Graduate Recruitment Manager
    • 1 hour interview with 2 lawyers

• The interview with the grad recruitment manager is very informal and is very much a conversation; they just want to get to know you and hear you talk about yourself so just be yourself! I spoke a fair amount about what I was doing at university. It's quite brief though so you won't be going into a lot of detail.
    • You then get 30 minutes to read through some articles and formulate an argument to a question. You will then debate your findings in the second half of the lawyer interview and give a conclusion on the argument. It's not a commercial based case study so you aren't expected to have any technical knowledge - it's about showing you know how to be persuasive and present a well-founded argument.
    • In the first half of the interview there will be typical questions such as why Gibson, why law and then it's another opportunity for them to get to know you so it is very much a conversation.
    • I found the whole process to be very enjoyable!

Last edited:

Nicole

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Feb 28, 2018

February 2018

What was it for?

Vacation scheme

This was just the one interview.

It was literally a conversation pretty much, firstly about the articles you were given (mine was on [removed]) and generally what you thought of them/how you stood (you were kinda challenged but not really) and then your app and what you have done. The feel I got was that they were really just assessing who I was as a person and seeing if I could fit into the team more than anything.

Also one thing which could've thrown people off (didnt really throw me) was that you have a quick chat with the grad rec manager just about your CV and what you have done etc before all of this for 10mins. It's really informal and relaxed and its more like a pre-interview but it could throw people off.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.