Gibson Dunn Interview

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi all, I have a first stage interview with Gibson Dunn coming up, and I was wondering if anyone who has interviewed with them before has any insights/advice? It's an interview with HR and apparently is a general interview based on my application.

Thanks!!
    Firstly, big congrats! Can I ask when you applied? And is there another round of interviews after the initial one?

Konstantinos

Future Trainee
    Aug 26, 2019
    Thank you Dan! I applied on the 18th of December and heard back on the 20th. I am pretty sure there is another round after the initial one (or else why would they call it a 'first stage' interview)! Judging from the interview experiences on TCLA I guess there's a second round commercial interview with partners

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Frank

Valued Member
    Dec 12, 2018
    Thank you Dan! I applied on the 18th of December and heard back on the 20th. I am pretty sure there is another round after the initial one (or else why would they call it a 'first stage' interview)! Judging from the interview experiences on TCLA I guess there's a second round commercial interview with partners

Congrats!!

Uhmm... my app was submitted on the same day as yours but still haven't heard anything...

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018

Well done on getting through to interview!

Has Gibson Dunn referred to it as a first-round interview or is this based on the interview experience write-ups?

When I interviewed, the 'first-round' HR interview you are referring to was more of an informal 15-minute chat where they ask you some basic questions about yourself and your motivations. The actual interview itself is split into two parts:

1) 30-minute discussion on an article of their choice (you will have 30 minutes or so to prepare beforehand)
    2) 30-minute interview where they ask questions based on your application

Konstantinos

Future Trainee
    Aug 26, 2019

Has Gibson Dunn referred to it as a first-round interview or is this based on the interview experience write-ups?

When I interviewed, the 'first-round' HR interview you are referring to was more of an informal 15-minute chat where they ask you some basic questions about yourself and your motivations. The actual interview itself is split into two parts:

1) 30-minute discussion on an article of their choice (you will have 30 minutes or so to prepare beforehand)

Thank you for your response! Gibson Dunn referred to it as a first-round interview in their email. They said it will last 30-40 minutes and that it will be an interview with HR based on my application. So I'm guessing they've changed it up a bit this year, but I assume it will be similar to the one you mentioned in point (2). Were there any competency questions or is it solely based on the application form?

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Thank you for your response! Gibson Dunn referred to it as a first-round interview in their email. They said it will last 30-40 minutes and that it will be an interview with HR based on my application. So I'm guessing they've changed it up a bit this year, but I assume it will be similar to the one you mentioned in point (2). Were there any competency questions or is it solely based on the application form?
    Yeah, they must've changed it up a bit this year.

It was very much centered on my application and what I'd written about. They didn’t ask any competency/strengths questions but I would still be sure to have them ready to go.

The firm has such a huge focus on culture and understanding what they’re about so try to be personable and build rapport if you can. Additionally, remember the things that make them stand out (free-market system, strengths across both transactional and contentious work, fearsome foursome etc.)

Good luck with the interview! Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Yeah, they must've changed it up a bit this year.

It was very much centered on my application and what I'd written about. They didn’t ask any competency/strengths questions but I would still be sure to have them ready to go.

The firm has such a huge focus on culture and understanding what they’re about so try to be personable and build rapport if you can. Additionally, remember the things that make them stand out (free-market system, strengths across both transactional and contentious work, fearsome foursome etc.)

Good luck with the interview! Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.
    Fearsome foursome? What's that haha

• Haha
    Reactions: Jaysen and Frank

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Just seen its a reference to the strength of their litigation practice in case anyone else was wondering :)
    Yeah exactly! The four law firms you'd least like to see on the opposite side of a courtroom essentially. I've just checked the most recent ranking and Gibson Dunn has actually been knocked out now.

Konstantinos

Future Trainee
    Aug 26, 2019
    Congratulations! I haven’t even submitted my yet . What was the first interview like?

It was very conversational - just a 40 minute discussion on my application form (educational background, work experiences) with the graduate recruitment team. It was more like a chat than an interview and was actually quite enjoyable! Good luck!

epwz98

Oct 31, 2019

Hi! I've just been invited to the second stage interview! May I know what the article of their choice is like - i.e. is it more presentation or more of a discussion, the types of matters it will likely involve?

Eledoya

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Mar 8, 2018
    Good Morning,
    I have a question for all those that submitted their application. Did you apply for both a Vacation Scheme and Training Contract at the same time? On Apply 4 Law Gibson Dunn recommends applying for both but it seems unusual in comparison to other firms.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.