Going into my final year of law degree - Advice?

lawstudent15

Star Member
Feb 26, 2022
Hi!

I am a law student at a Russell Group uni, 2:1 predicted and I just completed a year abroad (Im starting the 4th and final year of my degree this autumn). Unfortunately, I was unable to secure a vacation scheme this summer, which would have been ideal since I would have still been a penultimate student. I was able to secure a role as a part-time intern at a foreign law firm (it is remote work), and a week of unpaid work experience in London this summer. I haven't had any formal legal work experience, besides from doing pro bono work during the last three years of my degree + some open days.

My question is - what is the best course of action now? I can see that some firms still have their TC windows open for 2025 intake, but would it not be better to try to secure a vacation scheme during my final year at university (preferably a Winter vac scheme) after I more legal work experience under my belt, and to then try to have a go at TC applications?

Thanks for any responses.

Last edited:

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
Hi!

I am a law student at a Russell Group uni, 2:1 predicted and I just completed a year abroad (Im starting the 4th and final year of my degree this autumn). Unfortunately, I was unable to secure a vacation scheme this summer, which would have been ideal since I would have still been a penultimate student. I was able to secure a role as a part-time intern at a foreign law firm (it is remote work), and a week of unpaid work experience in London this summer. I haven't had any formal legal work experience, besides from doing pro bono work during the last three years of my degree + some open days.

My question is - what is the best course of action now? I can see that some firms still have their TC windows open for 2025 intake, but would it not be better to try to secure a vacation scheme during my final year at university (preferably a Winter vac scheme) after I more legal work experience under my belt, and to then try to have a go at TC applications?

Thanks for any responses.
Hi @lawstudent15,

Well done on securing your internship and work experience!

If this was me, I would focus on completing those experiences and then adequately reflecting on them, identifying the new skills and insights acquired and reflect upon where I can improve previous VS applications. That, in my eyes, would strengthen your applications immensely.

However, it also doesn't have to be an either/or situation - if you want to, you can still apply for direct TCs and I have had friends who have been successful in doing so after being unable to secure a VS. If you had confidence in your previous experience and skill set to apply this year, then I'd say go ahead and apply for the TC anyway. Of course, that is only if you feel you can carve out the necessary time to write up and polish your applications - you can always note down your upcoming internships as well. If you are unable to obtain the TC, there is always the chance to apply for VS/TC in the next cycle.

There is one note of warning - sometimes firms do not allow you to reapply again if your application has already been unsuccessful in the last cycle. Have a look at their graduate recruitment pages to confirm that! That might change your opinion again if you have your heart set on certain firms.

Hope that insight helps and let me know what you decide in the end on this thread!

Laura :)

Reactions: Erin

lawstudent15

Star Member
Feb 26, 2022
Hi @lawstudent15,

Well done on securing your internship and work experience!

If this was me, I would focus on completing those experiences and then adequately reflecting on them, identifying the new skills and insights acquired and reflect upon where I can improve previous VS applications. That, in my eyes, would strengthen your applications immensely.

However, it also doesn't have to be an either/or situation - if you want to, you can still apply for direct TCs and I have had friends who have been successful in doing so after being unable to secure a VS. If you had confidence in your previous experience and skill set to apply this year, then I'd say go ahead and apply for the TC anyway. Of course, that is only if you feel you can carve out the necessary time to write up and polish your applications - you can always note down your upcoming internships as well. If you are unable to obtain the TC, there is always the chance to apply for VS/TC in the next cycle.

There is one note of warning - sometimes firms do not allow you to reapply again if your application has already been unsuccessful in the last cycle. Have a look at their graduate recruitment pages to confirm that! That might change your opinion again if you have your heart set on certain firms.

Hope that insight helps and let me know what you decide in the end on this thread!

Laura :)
Thank you so much for your help Laura! Will have a look on the law firm's websites for more information regarding the reapplication point!!

Reactions: laurabeaumont

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.