Grade anxiety

milo

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2022
Hi there,

I have a question about grades and appls for VCs/TCs. I have a 2.1 from UCL and a Commendation on the GDL from City. However, in my first year of uni I had a really tough time for non-academic reasons, failed 1 module, and nearly failed another. Neither of these actually counted toward my degree, but are on my transcript. My actual degree score, overall, is 67%, I have seven 1st class marks across my degree, and my third year averages around a first. I do have mitigating circumstances, which I put on the form, but will these poor grades from 1st year decisively count against me?

Many thanks!

NGAspiringLawyer

Jan 13, 2023
Hi there,

I have a question about grades and appls for VCs/TCs. I have a 2.1 from UCL and a Commendation on the GDL from City. However, in my first year of uni I had a really tough time for non-academic reasons, failed 1 module, and nearly failed another. Neither of these actually counted toward my degree, but are on my transcript. My actual degree score, overall, is 67%, I have seven 1st class marks across my degree, and my third year averages around a first. I do have mitigating circumstances, which I put on the form, but will these poor grades from 1st year decisively count against me?

Many thanks!
Hi @milo, I hear your concerns and I can understand why you are concerned about your grades, especially since they appear on your transcript and can give the reader an inaccurate impression of your otherwise great score in your degree.

My answer to your question is as follows. Your marks are unlikely to disqualify your application from consideration for most law firms. This is because your overall degree mark is a high 2:1 which is a positive indicator of academic ability and also because you had mitigating circumstances. The entire purpose behind having mitigating circumstances and disclosing it to a law firm is so that they are able to understand that a particular exam, in this case your 1st year marks, are not reflective of your academic skill. Therefore, I would say that having lower marks in your 1st year is unlikely to count determinitively against you and I encourage you to confidently apply to law firms for vacation schemes and training contracts.

The only caveat to my answer is that there may be some firms that specify high grade requirements. I am not referring to firms that simply state on their website that they want academically curious trainees or that they will factor in your grades (since these are quite ordinary statements and processes). Instead I am referring to firms that explicitly state that they require first class grades. These are very few firms and likely the only ones that will not consider your application purely because of marks. If you suspect that a firm has these requirements, it is a good idea to email the HR and check with them.

Of course, since the process is generally competitive, it is possible that when comparing two equal candidates, a law firm will ultimately choose the candidate with consistently high grades. However, with an overall mark of 67% and several first class marks, I would not worry about academic competition since your marks are quite strong, in fact.

It is a possibility is that you may be asked about your grades in an interview. In this case, please know that the firm's question itself is not prejudicing you in any way, nor does it reveal any intention on their part to reject you. Instead this is an opportunity for you to confidently explain why you had a certain mark. You could be even bolder (I recommend this) and use your 1st year marks to demonstrate your incredible growth and increase in marks overall (this is the power of contrast). This would allow you to discuss your actions and resilience in overcoming this set-back and going on to secure so many first class marks! So if answered well, then you will not only demonstrate confidence and explain your own marks, but you may be able to reveal your hardworking personality.

Overall, I suggest that you focus on being able to explain your mark (practicing before a mirror is a good idea) and that you remain confident in yourself when submitting applications or interacting with your interviewers.

You can do it! ;)🙌

• 🏆
Reactions: AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.