Grades and what can I do with a PGDL?

jk1731

Dec 14, 2022
Hey everyone,

So the classification of my degree is. 2:1 but in terms of scores its a 2:2 (59%). Most of my modules are 2:1s/1sts with one third in second year and three thirds in final year due to mitigating circumstances.

I’m seriously contemplating whether pursuing a TC is right for me. I’m presuming a conversion course will help taking a step into a legal career (e.g paralegal) easier, but not sure if self funding a PGDL is worthy. Any insights on what I can do with a PGDL besides law and any experiences of people who got a TC even with v v low 2:1s or even high 2:2s would be incredibly helpful! Thanks in advance~

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
Hi @jk1731 ,

Congratulations on your grade! Most law firms require a 2:1, which is what you achieved. The best thing you can do now, to make yourself even more employable and compete against other applicants with 1sts, will be to garner more experiences to improve upon your tangible skills and improve upon your commercial awareness.

Those experiences, which as a graduate will most likely be some kind of job whether part or full time, do not necessarily have to be legal as long as the skills you have developed are applicable to a career in law.

It is probably best to decide now if a career in law is the best option for you if you are considering funding the GDL yourself. That is not to say the skills will not be useful in other sectors, but that it is expensive and mostly only applicable to a career in law. Moreover, most successful applications will be very genuine and clear cut in their desire for this career and if you are aren’t clear whether this the path you want for yourself that will likely come through in your applications and at interview.

Overall, there is no reason to think your 2:1 will be disadvantageous, but to put your best foot forward, improving other areas of your applications (i.e your skillset, demonstrating clear motivations, commercial awareness and excellent interview technique) will be essential!

I have every faith you will succeed and do keep us updated on your journey !

Hope this helps.

Laura :)

Reactions: jk1731

Steve_Jays

Jan 25, 2024
Hi,
I have a different scenario - I had mostly 60s and a few 70s but nearly failed a third-year course because I was sick dragged my average to 57.8% (which is less 0.2% from a 2:1). I am tempted to enroll in BBP university's PgDL to boost up my grade.....or should I consider doing LLM and SQE in order to break into the legal career?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.