Grades on CV

eleven14og

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    Hi everyone,

I have a question on mentioning my grades on the CV. I learned that I should write my education section like Company Law(2.1). All my other modules are all 2.1 or 1st so they are fine using this format. But I have one module in 2.2 and I am worried that if I write it in this format it would make me look bad. Should I just state the name of the module and do not write the grades? Or should I ditch this format altogether?

Thanks!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    If you've already finished university, you could just write the overall grade you graduated with. If you don't want to mention individual grades on your CV, you could take them out of there, but do bear in mind that at some point in the TC process a firm will want to see your transcripts so you really can't run away from that one 2.2. If you're keen on including at least some good grades, you could highlight certain grades by writing 'Firsts in 3 modules' or '2.1 in 5 modules'.

Reactions: eleven14og

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I have a question on mentioning my grades on the CV. I learned that I should write my education section like Company Law(2.1). All my other modules are all 2.1 or 1st so they are fine using this format. But I have one module in 2.2 and I am worried that if I write it in this format it would make me look bad. Should I just state the name of the module and do not write the grades? Or should I ditch this format altogether?

Thanks!
    If applying for vacation sachemes or training contracts, I would include all modules and put the final module grade, eg Company Law (65%) rather than just the classification. As Avni has mentioned, you can just put the yearly average or overall degree classification, but given your grades are strong, I’d probably provide them all to show how well you have done across your modules.

Reactions: eleven14og

eleven14og

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    If you've already finished university, you could just write the overall grade you graduated with. If you don't want to mention individual grades on your CV, you could take them out of there, but do bear in mind that at some point in the TC process a firm will want to see your transcripts so you really can't run away from that one 2.2. If you're keen on including at least some good grades, you could highlight certain grades by writing 'Firsts in 3 modules' or '2.1 in 5 modules'.
    Thanks Avni! Would you say I should mention specific modules that are more closely linked to the job? For example, 2.1 in 5 modules, including Company Law and Commercial Law

eleven14og

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    If applying for vacation sachemes or training contracts, I would include all modules and put the final module grade, eg Company Law (65%) rather than just the classification. As Avni has mentioned, you can just put the yearly average or overall degree classification, but given your grades are strong, I’d probably provide them all to show how well you have done across your modules.
    Thank you Jessica!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.