Grades Question

gricole

Legendary Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    HI all,

I'm a graduate who is currently doing a senior-status LLB and with exams coming up I wanted to ask about the specific grade requirements in my unusual situation. I have a first-class degree BSs from a Russell group uni which means I fulfil the academic requirements. What are the expectations of law firms regarding non-law students' education after their bachelors? How strictly are individual grades at postgraduate/GDL level looked at?

Thank you.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    The 1st will stand you in good stead. I don't believe there are any official requirements for your postgraduate degree, but you'll want to get an overall 2:1 to keep up the standard of your application, ideally a mid to high 2:1.

Some law firms will place more emphasis on your contract law result than others.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: gricole

Evie D

Apr 29, 2019
    The 1st will stand you in good stead. I don't believe there are any official requirements for your postgraduate degree, but you'll want to get an overall 2:1 to keep up the standard of your application, ideally a mid to high 2:1.

Some law firms will place more emphasis on your contract law result than others.

What happens if you have extenuating circumstances? I scored a low 2:1 owing to severe illness in my second year and brereavement in my final year. This barred me from applying to firms like White & Case, Sullivan etc. whose requirements were either a first or a high 2:1. If i still want to apply to magic/silver/US firms, would my grades put me at a disadvantage?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    What happens if you have extenuating circumstances? I scored a low 2:1 owing to severe illness in my second year and brereavement in my final year. This barred me from applying to firms like White & Case, Sullivan etc. whose requirements were either a first or a high 2:1. If i still want to apply to magic/silver/US firms, would my grades put me at a disadvantage?

No, they shouldn't. Firms take extenuating circumstances seriously, although it is hard to know how they factor them in practice. I would think it shouldn't stop you applying from the likes of White & Case either (the threshold doesn't take into account candidates with extenuating circumstances), although you may want to email them to be sure.

Reactions: Evie D

Evie D

Apr 29, 2019
    t
    No, they shouldn't; firms take extenuating circumstances seriously, although it is hard to know how they factor them in practice. I would think it shouldn't stop you applying from the likes of White & Case either (the threshold doesn't take into account candidates with extenuating circumstances), although you may want to email them to be sure.
    Thank you!

Shane O'Hanlon

Star Member
    Feb 8, 2019
    Hi guys,

I'm just after finishing my exchange year in China. Because the education system and grading requirements are so different, my home uni just considers our grades on a pass or fail basis and our grades appear on our home university transcripts in this form. So when filling out my grades for my exchange year do I use the grades that my exchange uni gave me or do I just put down pass/fail
    as it would be on my home univeristy transcript ?

Any suggestions welcome

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.