Growing concerns about a career in Law

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
I'm hoping for some practical advice for anyone who's either been in a similar position to me, or can provide me with some inspiration, as I have a few concerns about a future career in Law.

When I first sat my A-Levels, my school tutors had not detected that I had a learning difficulty. I often struggled to process large pieces of information, I also required a lot more support in my studies. Unfortunately, I didn't perform well and attained two U grades, which was extremely disappointing and at this point, I questioned my academic abilities.

I then went to university with the UCAS points from one A grade and did a foundation course in Law. However the teaching standards weren't too great, and I left and went back to college where one of my tutors sent me for an assessment as she detected learning difficulties and I was told I had dyslexia. Here, I decided to take on a new A-level that I had not sat before and also resit one of the U grades. I achieved 2 B's on an intense one year course and went to the uni of my choice this time.

I then had a relative fall very ill during my time at university and my time was divided up between her and my studies and a part-time administration job. However, I became increasingly and stressed my grades suffer as a result. Due to this I had to take a year out of university, and I took on my part-time job, as a full-time role. Because I knew I couldn't balance care responsibilities and academia together. Meaning that my three-year degree turned into a four-year degree.

I recently submitted the outstanding two pieces of work and am yet to receive my final grade and graduate, with a predicted 2:2, which again is not great and I'm fully aware of this.

Apologies for the long-winded explanation, but I'm having many growing concerns that this profession is not for people like me. I am of course not incompetent and I have overcome many challenges and gained a multitude of transferrable skills and taken part in two volunteering roles along the way. Although, I worry that a prospective employer would not view my situation in that light.

Would an employer realistically consider me? Or should I begin considering other careers, I do not want to give up and I'm aware that rejection is a large part of this process, but realistically, I'm not sure how I would appeal to an employer. Against a candidate with good grades, a solid 1st class honours/ 2:1 and no resits.

I know that nothing is impossible and I'm of course willing to keep trying and keep applying, but I'm just seeking some practical advice or general inspiration from others in similar situations.

Thankyou

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
There are some law firms which don't focus on academics - for example, Shoosmiths takes CCC for A level requirements and just requires a completed degree. The problem for you is that your options are going to be severely limited, and - trust me - it's already really competitive out there!

Would highly recommend you look up Chrissie Wolfe (she's in linkedin). She writes a lot about similar experiences, which you might find useful.

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
There are some law firms which don't focus on academics - for example, Shoosmiths takes CCC for A level requirements and just requires a completed degree. The problem for you is that your options are going to be severely limited, and - trust me - it's already really competitive out there!

Would highly recommend you look up Chrissie Wolfe (she's in linkedin). She writes a lot about similar experiences, which you might find useful.

I’ve looked around at a few firms that don’t have any A-Level grade restrictions. But then the degree becomes an issue. And yes I have contacted her via aspiring solicitors as I watched her YouTube channel where she explains her similar experiences.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Many firms will need reassurances of your academic ability and if that is more difficult due to lots of different extenuating circumstances, it becomes more difficult for a recruiter to see beyond them as they can’t see your true academic potential. You say you are on a predicted 2.2 - if you can get that up to a 2.1 then the evidence of your academic ability is there and the ext circs become more “verified” by the fact people can see you have performed to the level they need to see.

There are some firms that won’t care about academics though - although to be fair this tends to be in smaller firms or outside of commercial law where it is more about providing good client service rather than the complexity of the law you are advising on.

Also look at some of the public sector law routes. The GLS/LTS are far more lenient when it comes to academics and provides a good route in to working in commercial law, albeit in the public sector.

It is not that you have to give up but work at the top commercial law firms is tough, really tough. Even as someone who was a non lawyer working in law firms, I honestly wouldn’t go back because of how much hard work and long hours it was. Expectations are very high and people expect you to deliver. It means that although it is seen as the “go to” career option for many, to be frank it isn’t the career for most people. Even people with stellar academics may not be cut out for it and so you have to consider carefully whether you want to really pursue it or whether it is just the societal pressures of getting a competitive and highly paid job that are making you think this is the career you want.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Becoming a lawyer is hell of a problem because there is too much of lawyers in our days. I mean those guys, who just graduated.

although I would remind people that the majority of law graduates do not want a career as a solicitor.... if you think law is bad, try roles in Finance or Marketing.

Reactions: Lawz

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
Many firms will need reassurances of your academic ability and if that is more difficult due to lots of different extenuating circumstances, it becomes more difficult for a recruiter to see beyond them as they can’t see your true academic potential.

There are some firms that won’t care about academics though - although to be fair this tends to be in smaller firms or outside of commercial law where it is more about providing good client service rather than the complexity of the law you are advising on.

Also look at some of the public sector law routes. The GLS/LTS are far more lenient when it comes to academics and provides a good route in to working in commercial law, albeit in the public sector.

It is not that you have to give up but work at the top commercial law firms is tough, really tough. Even as someone who was a non lawyer working in law firms, I honestly wouldn’t go back because of how much hard work and long hours it was. Expectations are very high and people expect you to deliver. It means that although it is seen as the “go to” career option for many, to be frank it isn’t the career for most people. Even people with stellar academics may not be cut out for it and so you have to consider carefully whether you want to really pursue it or whether it is just the societal pressures of getting a competitive and highly paid job that are making you think this is the career you want.

Hi Jessica

I really appreciate your response, it definitely puts it into perspective for me. I think overall I’d rather be practical about choosing firms as oppose to spending time on applications for firms that would overlook me at this point.

After I’d been to a law fair and a handful of events provided by my university I realised the top commercial firms aren’t for me. I’m trying to aim for firms who as you said place more weight on client service.

I’ve looked into the GLS, and I’m also looking into contacting some high street firms and explaining my circumstances, and going from there.

Jason S

Distinguished Member
Apr 3, 2020
Anecdotal of course, but I know of someone who got a 2.2 at a lesser known university, worked at various firms, and is now a partner at a top commercial firm.

Admittedly now, the graduate market is saturated with 1st/2.1s. But the point still stands. It is certainly possible to work at a smaller firm and move on to a bigger firm. I don’t know much about lateral hires but I assume there’s a point where your actual ability as a lawyer outweighs a few exams you took 10 years ago.

Read this the other day too https://www.thelawyer.com/issues/on...-from-a-tiny-regional-firm-to-a-big-city-one/

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I'm hoping for some practical advice for anyone who's either been in a similar position to me, or can provide me with some inspiration, as I have a few concerns about a future career in Law.

When I first sat my A-Levels, my school tutors had not detected that I had a learning difficulty. I often struggled to process large pieces of information, I also required a lot more support in my studies. Unfortunately, I didn't perform well and attained two U grades, which was extremely disappointing and at this point, I questioned my academic abilities.

I then went to university with the UCAS points from one A grade and did a foundation course in Law. However the teaching standards weren't too great, and I left and went back to college where one of my tutors sent me for an assessment as she detected learning difficulties and I was told I had dyslexia. Here, I decided to take on a new A-level that I had not sat before and also resit one of the U grades. I achieved 2 B's on an intense one year course and went to the uni of my choice this time.

I then had a relative fall very ill during my time at university and my time was divided up between her and my studies and a part-time administration job. However, I became increasingly and stressed my grades suffer as a result. Due to this I had to take a year out of university, and I took on my part-time job, as a full-time role. Because I knew I couldn't balance care responsibilities and academia together. Meaning that my three-year degree turned into a four-year degree.

I recently submitted the outstanding two pieces of work and am yet to receive my final grade and graduate, with a predicted 2:2, which again is not great and I'm fully aware of this.

Apologies for the long-winded explanation, but I'm having many growing concerns that this profession is not for people like me. I am of course not incompetent and I have overcome many challenges and gained a multitude of transferrable skills and taken part in two volunteering roles along the way. Although, I worry that a prospective employer would not view my situation in that light.

Would an employer realistically consider me? Or should I begin considering other careers, I do not want to give up and I'm aware that rejection is a large part of this process, but realistically, I'm not sure how I would appeal to an employer. Against a candidate with good grades, a solid 1st class honours/ 2:1 and no resits.

I know that nothing is impossible and I'm of course willing to keep trying and keep applying, but I'm just seeking some practical advice or general inspiration from others in similar situations.

Thankyou
Thank you for sharing your story - I appreciate there will be many people in a similar situation to you who will feel hopefully more empowered by seeing they are not the only one.

I agree with everything @Jessica Booker has said, but I would really advise you to be proactive in seeking opportunities to network with firms and learn more about their approach to academics etc. I think getting out in the market in this way can be generally really helpful and you will no doubt meet people who have also had similar struggles to yourself and who might be able to advise you how to best move forwards.

I really wish you all the best of luck, your resilience I think would make you an excellent fit for this career path and the only thing which would make a legal career impossible for you, would be for you to give up on the career you clearly so desire :)

• 🏆
Reactions: Jessica Booker

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
Thank you for sharing your story - I appreciate there will be many people in a similar situation to you who will feel hopefully more empowered by seeing they are not the only one.

I agree with everything @Jessica Booker has said, but I would really advise you to be proactive in seeking opportunities to network with firms and learn more about their approach to academics etc. I think getting out in the market in this way can be generally really helpful and you will no doubt meet people who have also had similar struggles to yourself and who might be able to advise you how to best move forwards.

I really wish you all the best of luck, your resilience I think would make you an excellent fit for this career path and the only thing which would make a legal career impossible for you, would be for you to give up on the career you clearly so desire :)

Thank you for the kind words I really appreciate it!.

Also, I will definitely take advantage of networking opportunities and be more proactive!:)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.