Harbottle & Lewis 0% retention rate?

Logan1101

Distinguished Member
  • Jul 16, 2022
    I am considering applying to Harbottle & Lewis TC as they accept penultimate year law students but found this Rof article: link that says that they had a 0% retention rate during Covid and was the only firm to report this which looks really bad. Is anyone aware of whether the retention rate has improved since then?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am considering applying to Harbottle & Lewis TC as they accept penultimate year law students but found this Rof article: link that says that they had a 0% retention rate during Covid and was the only firm to report this which looks really bad. Is anyone aware of whether the retention rate has improved since then?
    It was nearly three years ago and at a very odd time (in the height of the worst retraction in the economy in 300 years). I think it’s slightly deceptive that it’s the only firm to have reported this - many firms may not have reported their figures and even if they did, having only three trainees meant the figure was always going to be skewed somewhat.

I wouldn’t take this as an indication of the firm’s usual retention rates.

Reactions: Logan1101

Logan1101

Distinguished Member
  • Jul 16, 2022
    It was nearly three years ago and at a very odd time (in the height of the worst retraction in the economy in 300 years). I think it’s slightly deceptive that it’s the only firm to have reported this - many firms may not have reported their figures and even if they did, having only three trainees meant the figure was always going to be skewed somewhat.

I wouldn’t take this as an indication of the firm’s usual retention rates.
    I hope it's not. I am not sure how common it would be for trainees to lateral to another firm after qualifying but it would be far from ideal to have to do this out of necessity rather than you being offered positions by different firms.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I hope it's not. I am not sure how common it would be for trainees to lateral to another firm after qualifying but it would be far from ideal to have to do this out of necessity rather than you being offered positions by different firms.
    In the instance you are talking about, all the trainees secured other roles, so clearly were in demand from other firms anyway.

There is a whole recruitment market around hiring NQs, so I wouldn’t worry to much about how common it is - it happens a lot across firms.

Reactions: Logan1101

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.