General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

micross

Feb 1, 2020
Anyone who applied to DAC Beachcroft, I heard today after doing the video interview more than 6 weeks ago. They're doing virtual AC end of July and then a virtual vac scheme (if you pass the AC) early-mid August! Good luck

Yeah I heard the same too. Hopefully it'll be exciting! Not sure how any group work will go though.

Reactions: ZA

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I do not know what's wrong with me today..but I have been continuously checking my emails

Its half term week - a lot of people are off this week. I wouldn’t waste time checking emails at the best of times, but this week is probably an especially unhelpful week to do it

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
For those of you who did secondary school outside of the UK, how do you usually fill in the GCSE or equivalent section? For A-Levels its easy as my equivalent is simply the IB program, however for GCSE's its a bit more tricky. What I think is to put in my final exam grades for Grade 10 which is when I was 15/16 and right before I began the IB program. Does this make sense or is there a better approach?

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
In addition to my last question, I'm confused on how I would answer this "If your education took place outside of the UK, please explain how any non UK qualifications compare with equivalent UK qualifications." are they specifically talking about A-level equivalents or also GCSE's? I'm not entirely sure how I would go about answering this if they're asking about GCSE equivalents, if it's just A-Levels I am assuming I could just state that I convert into UCAS points?

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
In addition to my last question, I'm confused on how I would answer this "If your education took place outside of the UK, please explain how any non UK qualifications compare with equivalent UK qualifications." are they specifically talking about A-level equivalents or also GCSE's? I'm not entirely sure how I would go about answering this if they're asking about GCSE equivalents, if it's just A-Levels I am assuming I could just state that I convert into UCAS points?

Hi,

so for what concerns the first question I.e GCSe exams I got in touch with the graduate recruitment team, I advise you to do the same. For what concerns the question re education outside the UK I explained my country exams (from gcse to my law degree) how they are structured and marked.Plus I also included a link to the gov website which has a tab comparing my country university final grade with the uk one.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For those of you who did secondary school outside of the UK, how do you usually fill in the GCSE or equivalent section? For A-Levels its easy as my equivalent is simply the IB program, however for GCSE's its a bit more tricky. What I think is to put in my final exam grades for Grade 10 which is when I was 15/16 and right before I began the IB program. Does this make sense or is there a better approach?

if they are asking for GCSEs, then yes this is the right approach. Many firms won’t need this information though

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

yes - your IB will just convert to UCAS points.

This is a pretty crappy question the firm is asking you. Pre-16 level education doesn’t convert easily and ultimately to do so you typically have to pay for someone to convert it for you.

I personally wouldn’t contact the grad Rec teams, as it is not up to them to convert your grades for you.

If you haven’t got any information on direct comparisons (which would be likely), present information like what percentile you were in in your year group or nationally (if you have that information).

feel free to PM me further details of your qualifications and I might be able to provide some insight on how it converts.

Please note though that many people aren’t formally assessed and so don’t have a qualification at the age of 16 - you only need to provide qualifications not school Grades

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I think you are still completing Macfarlanes, my personal advice is to get in touch with the graduate recruiter manager (Catherine) she is super welcoming and willing to answer to all your questions. I am amazed by her kindness!!

Reactions: thecorporatelawyer

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When writing cover letters for paralegal roles and TC's, are there any differences in the content and approach I should be taking?

Structure would be similar, content wouldn’t where they are different roles (although why the firm would obviously be the same - it would just be less likely you would apply for a TC and a paralegal role at the same firm).

Last edited:

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
Out of curiosity, how many of you on TCLA has been applying for more than 2 application cycles? I'm feeling rather defeated lately. Feels like I'm not getting anywhere closer to landing a TC.

I am in my third cycle. For reference, I am actually two years out of uni already but only started "applying" in my final year (I was totally clueless as to what I was doing). My second cycle was better, I got a vac scheme but killed it at the final interview.
Now it's a third year and... yeah, sometimes I feel completely demotivated. I see people in their second year getting TCs and I wonder "what the hell is wrong with me?!". But on better days I recognise that I have actually improved a lot with this process and finally discovered what kind of firm I'd like to join - I used to send applications everywhere whereas right now I have a certain focus. It's ups and downs really.

Also, I find a slight reassurance in that I know quite a few people who were up to several years out of uni and still managed to get a TC. I aspire to be one of them :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Chido, Shaz, W and 18 others

MarathonNotaSprint

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Out of curiosity, how many of you on TCLA has been applying for more than 2 application cycles? I'm feeling rather defeated lately. Feels like I'm not getting anywhere closer to landing a TC.

I second what Dominka_95 said. I was the exact same except I only started seriously applying this year. I graduated 2 years ago (wow time flies!), took a gap year and worked in recruitment. I've never gotten past the application stage but I'm *hoping* this cycle will be different.

What keeps me motivated is seeing people who have come from similar backgrounds and similar struggles to me get it. So I know it's definitely possible. Just don't listen to the nay-sayers. Block out all the noise and focus on you. Everything happens when it's supposed to happen.

Just try to get yourself out there as much as possible-speak to any and everyone!!

And remember: It's a marathon, not a sprint. And the marathon continues- word to the late Nipsey Hussle.

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: Chido, W, Zoo and 7 others

Miki3999

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019

It is my third cycle, no luck so far (except an interview at Slaughters). Sometimes I feel defeated as well, specially because those apps require so much effort just to fail the Watson Glaser test or to find out that the places have been filled. The most important thing, however, is to keep going and to build up skills and experience, which may prove helpful in future applications. Sometimes it is also worth to think about your targets: what are the firms looking for? Some may be looking for top academics, some recruit mostly from Oxbridge, others are looking for "personality" etc. Think what your strenghts are and then it will be easier to find a right firm for you :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.