Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica.

I understand this may vary, firm to firm, but how quickly does re-applying curtail applications? Would applying a few months later(5-6 etc), provided the firm allow this, be an issue, or did you mean instantly re-applying, like 1 week later?

If it is within the same cycle, then it is less likely. If you apply late in the previous cycle and then early in the next and not much time has passed, then again they are probably less likely too.

But most applications are still reviewed. It is not that they (the firm) are less likely to consider your application as such, it’s just more likely your application hasn’t approved within a short space of time.

bethbristol

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Oct 30, 2019
I know that you cannot reapply for the VS if you have been rejected so I would assume that this would also cover TCs. Perhaps worth emailing grad recruitment if you feel your circumstances have changed.

bethbristol

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Oct 30, 2019
Thanks a lot for replying! I was rejected post-application but not post-interview, so I was wondering which type of rejection were you referring to? :)
Oh I think that's different then! I have heard of people applying to W&C numerous times before being accepted post-application but maybe still worth while checking just in case they have changed the rules. I was referring to post-interview!

Reactions: EZ_D

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Hope everyone is well! Sincere apologies if this has been asked before but I cannot seem to find the relevant info--does White & Case allow an applicant to make a training contract application after being rejected for a place on the Vac Scheme? Thanks a lot in advance :)

I was told by Rare Recruitment that they allow you to re-apply for TC in the same cycle so that what I’ve done! Haven’t heard anything except app confirmation so time will tell :)

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Sorry if this is a stupid question. Should we have received training contracts by the start of September? Some places seem to be only starting assessments in August but then that wouldn't leave much time before starting a GDL if needed...

Reactions: NadineBusty

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry if this is a stupid question. Should we have received training contracts by the start of September? Some places seem to be only starting assessments in August but then that wouldn't leave much time before starting a GDL if needed...

not necessarily. Some firms may offer before the start of September, but some run their interview processes in September - often because people are away in July/August and they are sometimes waiting for people to accept/decline offers from vacation schemes.

It is always an issue for those who are choosing to do the GDL. My advice to people is to push back on the GDL provider and try to sign up for the course as late as possible - I have never heard of a student missing out on a place on the GDL, and have heard people signing up to the course shortly after the course has started!

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
If it is within the same cycle, then it is less likely. If you apply late in the previous cycle and then early in the next and not much time has passed, then again they are probably less likely too.

But most applications are still reviewed. It is not that they (the firm) are less likely to consider your application as such, it’s just more likely your application hasn’t approved within a short space of time.

Thanks for replying! I understood the second half of the sentence, but would you mind clarifying what you mean by " If its within the same cycle, then it is less likely"- less likely regarding curtailing of the app or of it being successful?

Thanks!

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Thanks a lot for replying! I was rejected post-application but not post-interview, so I was wondering which type of rejection were you referring to? :)
Hi

I emailed W&C ages ago(March I think) with this exact question ,and they said re-application is welcomed in the same cycle! The above poster mentioned Rare, am not a part of them, but my friends highly value them, so I'll say this adds more to the credibility of re-applying! Good luck.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for replying! I understood the second half of the sentence, but would you mind clarifying what you mean by " If its within the same cycle, then it is less likely"- less likely regarding curtailing of the app or of it being successful?

Thanks!

You won’t be able to apply for the same vacancy twice.

Some firms will only allow you to apply to one vacancy in a recruitment cycle.

Those who do allow you to apply to different vacancies within the same recruitment cycle, they will want to see significant improvement from your last application. Typically it’s pretty easy to see when someone applied and then to see from their application what they have done since that application.

Reactions: dosblancos7

SportsThoughts

Star Member
Jun 4, 2019
Hey all, has anyone heard from Macfarlanes or Goodwin post-application? I applied to both in May, but no news yet. Thanks!

I also applied to Macs back in May - nothing yet! I did see they ran the first virtual assessment centre before I submitted my application, and I can't say I've seen them run another since (from Instagram anyway). It's likely they've not shortlisted any candidates yet.

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
I also applied to Macs back in May - nothing yet! I did see they ran the first virtual assessment centre before I submitted my application, and I can't say I've seen them run another since (from Instagram anyway). It's likely they've not shortlisted any candidates yet.

They said they won’t be doing another assessment centre until after summer

Reactions: SportsThoughts

G1996

May 5, 2020
do you think it would be a good idea to follow up and ask them this?
Hi :) I'm very tempted but also think that they probably have a lot on at the moment with virtual schemes etc, so am trying to sit tight and be patient! I do wonder when 'after summer' is though - would be surprised if they were planning on holding ACs during September but that would be 'after summer'?!

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
Hiya :) Thanks for this update - where/ when did they say this? I applied in May and haven't heard anything yet
I’m also curious when they said this! I applied at the end of May as well

I asked last week as I applied in mid April! And I was also told a few months ago they do two TC ACs and since one has already been then the other one will be post summer vac schemes. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.