General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Does anyone know whether you can apply directly for a TC with Debevoise & Plimpton? The application portal lets you do so, but the website says they recruit trainees from vac schemes

champ591

Star Member
Feb 5, 2020
Does anyone know whether you can apply directly for a TC with Debevoise & Plimpton? The application portal lets you do so, but the website says they recruit trainees from vac schemes
Hi, I emailed the firm's graduate recruitment recently with the same - they got back to me saying the firm only recruits from vac scheme attendees so anyone wanting a TC should apply for a place on the open days where successful candidates will be given a spot on the vac schemes. Hope this clarifies :)

Reactions: lexiak and M777

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Hi, I emailed the firm's graduate recruitment recently with the same - they got back to me saying the firm only recruits from vac scheme attendees so anyone wanting a TC should apply for a place on the open days where successful candidates will be given a spot on the vac schemes. Hope this clarifies :)
Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would it be fine to capitalise "Insight Day" or "Open Day" in both the cover letter and work exp section?

Depends on the context...

If a title in a work experience section, capitalise it. If you are just saying Open Day in a sentence then don't.

"Open Day, Joe Bloggs LLP, January 2020"

"I attended an open day with Joe Bloggs LLP in January 2020".

• ℹ️
Reactions: dosblancos7

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks!

Unrelated , but, for cover letters, is it wise to start of "I am in the ____ year at ____ and I am applying for___". Or is that not necessary at all.

It is the most cliched opening sentence of a cover letter you can get.

I'd only recommend doing this is if you were only applying with a cover letter and no other documents (e.g. CV or online application). If you are applying with these documents it is unnecessary repetition/wasted word count.

DW

Apr 16, 2020
I emailed their grad rec head. They prefer to recruit from vac schemes. But it is still possible to apply for a direct TC except it's the most competitive route. So perhaps have other firms which encourage and equally recruit from direct TCs too.

champ591

Star Member
Feb 5, 2020
I emailed their grad rec head. They prefer to recruit from vac schemes. But it is still possible to apply for a direct TC except it's the most competitive route. So perhaps have other firms which encourage and equally recruit from direct TCs too.
I see.. I emailed Debevoise's grad rec in June and the response I got says "we only recruit trainees from vacation scheme attendees" so a bit of conflicting advice there. I'm guessing they only consider direct TC apps if they haven't been able to fill their seats with vac schemers.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For firms asking for CV's, do I input my second year modules(that I have not received grades for yet, and won't anyways considering how its released after the firm's deadline?)

Just put your second year modules names and then something like (results obtained 31/07/20).

• ℹ️
Reactions: dosblancos7

KerC14

Valued Member
Jan 26, 2020
Has anyone heard from Blake Morgan for Direct TC? Particularly the London office?

I know from their twitter that they’re reviewing applications and this is one of the last firms I’ve applied to this cycle

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you use LinkedIn and have a name that lots of people mis-pronounce, you can add a verbal recording of you saying your name. You can only do it via an iOS or Android app, but highly recommend people add a recording if they can.

https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin/answer/120710

It only took me 7 attempts before I was happy with the recording of me saying my own name....:p

Ar2016

Star Member
Future Trainee
Sep 2, 2019
Hi! Does anyone have tips for virtual AC (one with written exercise and case study)? i did attend the TCLA webinar recently but open to find some more useful tips/advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.