General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019
Been invited to do a McQuaig Mental Agility Test for Trowers & Hamlin direct TC; has anyone had any experience of doing one of these?

Hey yes done it last year theres a few free practice tests online just Google - speed and accuracy is key 50 Qs expectation is not to finish all Qs in 15mins a score in mid 20s - 30s is average. The percentile factor will impact overall ranking but generally much better test than WGT. Good Luck

Hey! I agree, just google some tests and you'll be able to practise before doing the actual test. Just another quick note is I received feedback on my test this year after the AC and they're looking for candidates that have a minimum score of 35! Not sure if this is going to change so just take that into consideration when practising. Good luck! :)

• 🤝
Reactions: TLC20 and SaulGoodman

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
How long should we reasonably be expected to wait for a response after an AC? I completed a post-VS AC for TC on 10th July and am yet to get a response from the firm.

Should I email or just wait it out?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How long should we reasonably be expected to wait for a response after an AC? I completed a post-VS AC for TC on 10th July and am yet to get a response from the firm.

Should I email or just wait it out?

you should definitely contact them - 4-5 weeks is a very long time.

The exception is if they told you you wouldn’t hear back until after a certain date and that date hasn’t passed.

madge

Standard Member
Aug 8, 2020
Is it looked down upon by firms if you haven’t secured a Vacation Scheme even if you have lots of other law work experience (e.g. pro bono)? I read on a blog that people getting TCs with no Vacation Scheme is the exception not the rule, but I’ve also read that many people do secure TCs without having done a VS, so I’m a bit confused!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it looked down upon by firms if you haven’t secured a Vacation Scheme even if you have lots of other law work experience (e.g. pro bono)? I read on a blog that people getting TCs with no Vacation Scheme is the exception not the rule, but I’ve also read that many people do secure TCs without having done a VS, so I’m a bit confused!

A VS isn’t everything - but other work experience is. I can’t remember recruiting someone who never had a job.

you can have other work experience, probably supplemented by insight days/virtual events etc and a a very clear understanding of why you want to do the job (the good, bad and indifferent of that job) and write that well on an application form and get a TC.

Reactions: Holly

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
Highest Rated Member
May 4, 2020

It is possible, but very, very difficult, and I'd definitely query the "many" bit of what you've read. The point is that naturally commercial law isn't everyone's cup of tea - the subject matter, the hours and so on dissuade a lot of people. On top of that, a lot of people really don't understand exactly what a commercial lawyer does when they first think of applying.

From a firm's point of view, it's much better that if they make you a TC offer - a costly and time-consuming process, - you already have evidence that you already have some semblance of an idea of what the work/life of a corporate lawyer is, so you are less likely to drop out or cause havoc by falling behind on work, will require less unnecessary handholding, and so on. Having a VS at a commercial law firm shows that at least in part you can handle this life and have an understanding of what goes on/what is expected of you.

I know two people who managed to get a TC without a VS first: one had done a stack of mini-pupillages at some of the top commercial barristers' chambers, the other had interned at the ICC. It's not impossible, but it really isn't very common either.

The other point of the "many people" is exactly where they got offered a TC. This isn't meant in a snobbish sense, just that some smaller and less elaborate firms might be more willing to do this than a Moneylaw/MC/SC/WS firm, which was probably what the blog (and most people on this forum/legalcheek commenters etc) are thinking of.

Lastly, it's worth remembering that quite a few firms exclusively recruit from their vac schemes (Davis Polk, Jones Day, HSF, Ropes & Gray, Shearman & Sterling, etc); theoretically recruit from outside their VS but don't in reality (Skadden, Kirkland & Ellis); or give the overwhelming majority of their offers to vac schemers (Linklaters & the rest of the MC), so your odds of getting a TC by direct application range from comparatively slim to zilch.

Reactions: Alaw96

Las123

Aug 27, 2018

Hi Madge,

I secured a TC at a Magic Circle firm without having done a VS, and I too was worried that maybe not having a VS would put me at a disadvantage. But this is absolutely not the case if you’re able to show that you really understand the day-to-day job of a commercial lawyer, and have relevant experience where you’ve demonstrated the qualities required.
One tip I would give is to really get a good understanding of what it is about your experiences that has motivated you towards pursuing a career as a commercial solicitor, and picking out examples of work-experience you’ve done to support your motivations. Construct your experiences into a well-reasoned story line, and when you’re really clear about your reasons for the profession, it comes across to the reviewer/interviewer too.

If you’re sure about working at the firm you’re applying to and feel that a direct TC app is the best choice for you, I would not be put off of applying for a direct TC.
Good luck going forward!

JKs

Feb 24, 2019
Has anyone looked at the TC application questions for A&O? The form is so annoying as you can't look at the different sections and you have to complete everything from the start (there's also no back button so I can't click through to see the questions and then click back to the start of the form). I want to see the questions first and copy them into a word document without having to waste time populating everything else and then it turns out that I hate the questions and the questions have put me off from applying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.