General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
So I did not pass my interview for policy advisor..still applying for Civil service jobs tho.
However, got long chats with my girlfriend and parents and I should still try for a training contracts. At the end of July, got rejected for AS Aspire but they invited me to events with inclusive firms. After a long research, I realised that there are a bunch of (few) good firms that do not rely solely on grades and decided to apply. I have also decided to apply to a fewer firms and really tailor my applications. I have also decided to only apply for VS as firms hire predominately from their VS intake.

I have also decided to take part in the Aspiring solicitor CA competition. Is anyone takin part in the competition? Do you want to create a thread or a group where to analyse the news once a week on a zoom call?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I was just wondering in response to the question,
What does exceptional client service look like from a future facing lawyer?,
would you draw on examples of what you’ve done?

No - I would just focus on what you think it is. It would say if it wanted you to demonstrate those same skills/attitudes/approaches.

Reactions: Mary12

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Anyone got a Grad Rec email address for the Akin Gump? Please could you PM me with one if you have one (thanks in advance)

Just sending out emails to firms for our vacation scheme/insight programme download and already stumbled at A (going alphabetically!)

Edit - firms don't make it easy for you to contact them do they o_O

Last edited:

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Rejection from Dentons post Telephone Interview, since they have no further spaces :( They said I made a good app, however, and they encourage me to apply next year. Should I send the same application form again since the rejection wasn't really dependent upon it?

I would 100% update my application if I were you. I had a telephone conversation with grad rec at MdR after I failed the case study which was the third stage (passed app and the VI). They encouraged me to reapply but said "whatever you do, do not send in the exact same application!"

What was good enough last year might not be good enough to get you over the line this year. I am sure that people's application writing skills are getting better with all the resources that are out there now. Always strive to improve where you can.

I don't know what question were asked, but there is also the chance that some of it might be outdated if you have written any commercial-related answers. Even if the questions are just about you and your skills, I would try and show how you have developed since your last application.

Jenna

Distinguished Member
    Dec 18, 2019
    Rejection from Dentons post Telephone Interview, since they have no further spaces :( They said I made a good app, however, and they encourage me to apply next year. Should I send the same application form again since the rejection wasn't really dependent upon it?

Sorry to hear! Can I ask what office you applied to?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Anyone got a Grad Rec email address for the Akin Gump? Please could you PM me with one if you have one (thanks in advance)

Just sending out emails to firms for our vacation scheme/insight programme download and already stumbled at A (going alphabetically!)

Edit - firms don't make it easy for you to contact them do they o_O
    PM'd you

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.