Status
Not open for further replies.

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
I wonder if anyone could help me with this:

I've finished drafting a cover letter for a firm that only requires a CV and CL. In my letter, the 'why me' is shorter than 'why commercial law' and 'why them' parts. As I've given as much detail and highlighted all my achievements in my CV, would this be ok or does the letter still need to be balanced out? I'm a non-law grad so thought it would be best to explain the latter two more..

Maybe I'm overthinking it but any suggestions would be very helpful : ) thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I wonder if anyone could help me with this:

I've finished drafting a cover letter for a firm that only requires a CV and CL. In my letter, the 'why me' is shorter than 'why commercial law' and 'why them' parts. As I've given as much detail and highlighted all my achievements in my CV, would this be ok or does the letter still need to be balanced out? I'm a non-law grad so thought it would be best to explain the latter two more..

Maybe I'm overthinking it but any suggestions would be very helpful : ) thank you

Cover letters have to work for the individual candidate - don’t try and fit too much of an expected norm if it doesn’t work for you. The only thing I will say is that a CV rarely shows evidence of your character - and that is why a “why you” part is important. It’s not about repeating information on your CV, it’s about showing your strengths in character that have helped you get to those achievements. Make sure your “why you” gets that across.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thoughts on re-applying to a firm after being rejected after an interview for a vac scheme? Will this be starting an application on a negative??
It usually depends on the firm and their own policy with this but be sure to alter the application to show your growth and if you were given feedback then try to show how you’ve sought to improve :)

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Cover letters have to work for the individual candidate - don’t try and fit too much of an expected norm if it doesn’t work for you. The only thing I will say is that a CV rarely shows evidence of your character - and that is why a “why you” part is important. It’s not about repeating information on your CV, it’s about showing your strengths in character that have helped you get to those achievements. Make sure your “why you” gets that across.

You're right and I've made the necessary changes, thank youu

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Still waiting for Latham, anyone else? although ive got to admit id mostly given up on them ahahah so hopefully won't be too disappointed if the rejection comes....

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Hi :) would it be a good idea in the cover letter to answer the ‘why commercial law’ with details of experience of virtual internships at investment banks. Specifically about M&A transactions and calculating EV etc. I want to say this gave me an understanding of how an M&A deal works and allowed me to see how solicitors fit into this. Is this a good idea to include this? I don’t want it to seem like I’m not interested in law but interested in investment banking.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    View attachment 2127
    Found the above on BCLP's grad site. Talk about recruiting in advance :D

I get the funny part of the typo, but 2024! How come they are recruiting 4 years in advance? 3 I understand but 4 I don’t.....

Wait... maybe it is two typos and meant March 2023, September 2023 and March 2024 (if so that then makes sense).

Reactions: Jaysen and Ifmhouse4
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.