General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Does A&O primarily recruit through the VS? I'm about to start a paralegal job, so I'm not sure whether to apply for VS or direct TC.
Hi Penelope,

I cannot tell you what to do, but I can tell you what I have learnt. I have been working as a paralegal for a while and I believed that my experiences would make me a super candidate for a direct TC. However, I realised that firms hire mostly from their VS intake and it makes absolute sense.
Offering a TC is a big investment for a firm both in terms of money and time so they want to make the right decision. Moreover, a vs is also a chance for you to get to know the firm. I can tell you that I liked a MC (a lot) but having spent a bit of time with them and personally knowing a couple of people..hell no..I would rather have a dinner with BoJo..and I despise him!

Know your target so you can sell yourself better!!

Last edited:
  • ℹ️
Reactions: Jennifer85 and Penelope

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi :) would it be a good idea in the cover letter to answer the ‘why commercial law’ with details of experience of virtual internships at investment banks. Specifically about M&A transactions and calculating EV etc. I want to say this gave me an understanding of how an M&A deal works and allowed me to see how solicitors fit into this. Is this a good idea to include this? I don’t want it to seem like I’m not interested in law but interested in investment banking.

If this is the genuine reason that led to your interest in commercial law, the example is fine and fairly unique. I'd be wary of going into too much detail about calculations etc., unless you can clearly show how this is related to your interest in commercial law. You might want to back this up with your interest in what solicitors do in an M&A transaction.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    With today’s announcement, I would be highly surprised if any open days, careers events or winter schemes take place in person now. I would also expect any Spring events to still be online too given general guidance is to work from home until March now.

Last edited:

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    With today’s announcement, I would be highly surprised if any open days, careers events or winter schemes take place in person now. I would also expect any Spring events to still be online too given general guidance is to work from home until March now.
    It'll be interesting to see if firms will see less applicants for winter/spring schemes compared to summer schemes in light of COVID and this announcement!

Reactions: Tushar

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It'll be interesting to see if firms will see less applicants for winter/spring schemes compared to summer schemes in light of COVID and this announcement!

From conversations I have had with firms so far, applications are generally up around 25-35%. It tends to happen as more candidates hedge their bets with more applications though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Would you still say then that the number of 'viable'/high quality applications remains the same then?

that’s probably more like a 5-10% increase. Generally whenever applications numbers go up it’s because people who haven’t considered law before see it as a safer bet.

Will be interesting to see how international applicant numbers change though as I think this could drop because of Covid and Brexit but could also increase due to post study visas coming in.

EMD

Aug 13, 2020
    Just got invited to an assessment centre by TLT (Manchester)!!
    They’ve actually decided to postpone assessment centres til February and even though I applied via the direct route said that they will offer vac scheme places to those who do well at the assessment centre!! Interesting that they’re trying to avoid virtual ACs by the sounds of it - they said they’re delaying it because they want to give us the best possible experience.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.