Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I did attempt to ask this earlier in the thread, but I don't think I was very clear, so I'm going to try and rephrase as the issue is one that is really worrying me.

When submitting vacation scheme applications firms are asking me to list my work experiences. When doing so there is often also space to outline key responsibilities etc. I was just wondering how I should approach these sections. Should I include key skills I developed? List my response in bullet points?

The reason I ask is that I feel like this is a space where I could improve my communication skills and ensure grad recruitment really see all the skills I have developed?

Many times the skill will be obvious to see from the description of responsibilities. I’d only spell it out if it isn’t obvious or if the firm explicitly tells you to do so (some firms do).

Generally my advice is to focus on responsibilities and your personal impact in the role for work experience sections rather than describing the skills obtained. It does depend on how the work experience fits into the wider application form though (which is why it’s difficult for me to answer this without being super vague).

• ℹ️
Reactions: csyn

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2019
Hi everyone. I was wondering if someone could help me with this predicament. I am a UK national but finished high school overseas. I applied for a TC at A&O and they have asked twice for my GCSE results or equivalent. The country I finished school didn't have anything like GCSE but they dont seem to understand this and have asked again. Just wondering what you guys would do and how to answer the email again?

gg332dd

Valued Member
Apr 2, 2020
Many times the skill will be obvious to see from the description of responsibilities. I’d only spell it out if it isn’t obvious or if the firm explicitly tells you to do so (some firms do).

Generally my advice is to focus on responsibilities and your personal impact in the role for work experience sections rather than describing the skills obtained. It does depend on how the work experience fits into the wider application form though (which is why it’s difficult for me to answer this without being super vague).

Is it ok if we use bullet points to list our responsibilities for each job, like we'd do in our CV?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just an update on what happened when contacting firms about their vacation schemes to get details of whether they would be online/in person etc.

Unfortunately we had a pretty awful response rate to our survey that we sent to firms and so I don’t really have anything worthwhile publishing.

Was worth a try, but it might be down to many firms not having a definite idea of what is happening, or not being willing to commit to say what they think will happen.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it ok if we use bullet points to list our responsibilities for each job, like we'd do in our CV?

• If you can format your answer like
  • You can format with bullet points in this forum
  • Then use bullet points
But if there is no formatting options, then I would go with a prose format.

• ℹ️
Reactions: csyn

cgs97

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
Just an update on what happened when contacting firms about their vacation schemes to get details of whether they would be online/in person etc.

Unfortunately we had a pretty awful response rate to our survey that we sent to firms and so I don’t really have anything worthwhile publishing.

Was worth a try, but it might be down to many firms not having a definite idea of what is happening, or not being willing to commit to say what they think will happen.

Thank you for the effort you put in to this though Jessica!

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
Hi everyone. I was wondering if someone could help me with this predicament. I am a UK national but finished high school overseas. I applied for a TC at A&O and they have asked twice for my GCSE results or equivalent. The country I finished school didn't have anything like GCSE but they dont seem to understand this and have asked again. Just wondering what you guys would do and how to answer the email again?

I had the very same issue, as where I come from we don't have anything like GCSE either.
However, we still had normal subjects, like Maths, Geography, etc. so after speaking to three different law firms about it before I sent an application, they advised to just list all the subjects (a total of 15 in my case) and the grade received.
Maybe this approach would work in your case as well, given the lack of "end of school" exam equivalent?
It would also be useful if you could get hold of your transcript to back this up (I did and it worked fine).

Ayo Babatunde

Star Member
Oct 18, 2019
Has anyone done the corporate finance or commercial law & IP elective on the LPC at BPP? I am trying to decide between the two at the moment. If anyone has any insight into either elective, I'd really appreciate it:)

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019

I completed high school in Canada, so I just looked up what the "equivalent" to GSCE was. For me, it was Grade 11 (age 16-17). And then the equivalency for A-levels would be Grade 12 (age 17-18) which was the last year of high school for me. If there is a box which says additional information, then I would just outline what is meant by equivalency based on whichever country you completed your high school in (i.e outline it is Grade 11). Hope this helps! :)

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Has anyone done the corporate finance or commercial law & IP elective on the LPC at BPP? I am trying to decide between the two at the moment. If anyone has any insight into either elective, I'd really appreciate it:)
I did CLIP with Jonathan Silverman who is an excellent tutor and I really enjoyed the course. It all depends what kind of career you want, hope it helps!

• 🤝
Reactions: syw and Ayo Babatunde
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.