Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Anyone know the difference between NY and English law when it comes to commercial contracts?

You really wouldn't need to know this in an interview/assessment unless you were applying for a job that required both US and UK qualifications/work experience.

hktr

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 10, 2019
Well done! Did they reject you post-ape, give you any feedback and did you re-apply? I was rejected for Winter too but still really keen on the firm.

The email from Grad rec said that they were impressed by my application but had a high number of applications for the Winter scheme. They therefore encouraged me to submit another application for Spring/Summer.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Got an email from Winston & Strawn, asking me to confirm my availability for the vac scheme before they invite me to interview. I'm waiting to hear back from another firm for a summer vac scheme, and the dates clash. I'm not sure when I'll hear back from the other firm, so what should I do here?

You are currently available - that's all they need to know at this stage.

A98

Star Member
Jun 17, 2019
I have a question regarding a situational/scenario-based interview:

Sometimes I'm asked about what I would do as a trainee if I'm with a client to close a deal or I get an inquiry from a client, but the associate and partner that I am working with are running late or underground (basically unavailable) and I'm practically alone.
I usually say that I would introduce myself first and apologise for any inconvenience (if there is something in particular) and do my best to provide the information that I know.
If there is an urgent question that I need to answer, I would speak to my supervisor or another associate on my team if they are available.
If I'm out of options, I'd inform the client that I will respond as soon as possible.

If the client wanted to sign something then and there, what is the best way forward as I'm guessing that trainees wouldn't be in the position to? What are some things that trainees should and shouldn't do in a situational like this?

I never know if I answer these questions correctly so I'd love to hear some of your thoughts.

acceleratedlaw

Legendary Member
Jan 27, 2020
hey guys, big question and i know someone has answered this somewhere before, but what would u say is ur biggest advice/tips on peeps heading to vacation schemes and wanting to secure a training contract

Alaw96

Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Still waiting on AG about 9 weeks after the VI!

I have an AG (London) assessment centre on Monday (submitted my VI about 6 weeks ago). Unfortunately, this might be their last AC as I was only given one date option and there were no slots for the following week or so. I could be completely wrong though!

Reactions: HD and CL20

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
The email from Grad rec said that they were impressed by my application but had a high number of applications for the Winter scheme. They therefore encouraged me to submit another application for Spring/Summer.
Okay never mind then :D but that’s amazing, good luck for the AC!!

• 🤝
Reactions: hktr

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
I have an AG (London) assessment centre on Monday (submitted my VI about 6 weeks ago). Unfortunately, this might be their last AC as I was only given one date option and there were no slots for the following week or so. I could be completely wrong though!

Before my AC in early Feb, there was only one slot for me to choose too. I think they make ACs up as they go depending on how quickly they fill up the spots. But like you, I’m not entirely sure

Reactions: CL20

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hey guys, big question and i know someone has answered this somewhere before, but what would u say is ur biggest advice/tips on peeps heading to vacation schemes and wanting to secure a training contract

Ah I get you, read it as 60-75 being the offer rate. As someone with a VS there this summer, 80%+ is a nice number to hear.

While on the subject, do you have any advice on how to make I get the offer on the VS? Is it primarily based on general feedback, or tasks set, or interviews etc and is there anything non-obvious which is actually an important factor? I appreciate you left the firm a while ago, but this is probably the best advice for this specific VS I can get, so I really appreciate it.

Managed to track down what I thought it was. Despite asking for my data to be wiped, traces of me on TSR still exist....

I posted this:

"Most of the above I agree with, but here are my additional points:

1) If you do something stupid, at least have the maturity to own up/apologise/make amends. Whether its getting drunk (yes it happens A LOT on vac schemes) or messing up with a piece of work (e.g. leaving confidential information somewhere stupid), the worse thing you can do is pretend like it never happened

2) Don't ***** about anyone or anything - word gets around quickly if you do. It only makes you look bad.

3) Don't succumb to the "pack" mentality or cliques that can form in a larger vacation scheme group. I've seen enough good applicants get caught up in negative group energy or false rumours, and subsequently not get a TC at the end of it.

4) Don't use your working day to prepare for any assessments (like your interviews). There is nothing worse than candidates who decides to take on little to no work on the day of their interview, so they can "prepare". You are being paid to do a job, remember that this should be your priority between 9.30-5.30pm."

The "most of the above I agree with" was posted by someone else, but I have edited it to what I agree with and posted it below:

"My general advice would be to treat the entire VS as an extended interview. A good rule of thumb would be to behave as you think an ideal trainee ought to (eg confident, sociable, enthusiastic, intelligent). Some more specific points are:

- Always be on your best behaviour at all times. Try not to be on your phone/ Facebook at your desk (if you have to check, go to the bathroom). Getting drunk is absolutely a no-no (and yes, I have heard of it happening on other VSes).

- Be sociable and friendly to everyone, not just the lawyers. Being nice to support staff (eg secretaries, receptionists, paralegals) doesn't take much (and is the decent thing to do at any rate). Also, they can be extremely helpful, and you never know if their opinions will be taken into account in making offers.

- Be confident, but not cocky. Don't be intimidated talking to partners or senior associates.

- Organization is very important. You should always carry a notebook with you at all times to write down information. The moment you get a piece of work, ask (1) When is this due by and (2) How should it be done (eg hard or soft copy, whether the firm has a standard template that should be used). You might have to prioritize, and if you have no more capacity, try to convey that sensitively (eg I'm currently finishing up an urgent assignment from x, perhaps I could come over after I'm done at y date and time? Or I'm rather loaded at the present - would it be okay for me to send this piece over at x date and time instead of y?). In general though, try to take on as much work as you can without compromising on quality.

- If you need clarification, don't be afraid to ask. Better to ask early and get some guidance, rather than find out that you've been barking up the wrong tree right at the end!

- Be enthusiastic about your work. I used to go around knocking on doors asking for work whenever I had nothing to do, and got positive feedback about it (it's a fine line between enthusiasm and being annoying though - think I used to go round twice a day and that was fine).

- Don't knock any work that's given to you, even if it isn't very "legal" or intellectual (eg proofreading, due diligence). Take everything with a smile, and make sure you do your best, even if you don't find the work all that exciting. Heck, if the lawyers want you to do paralegal/ secretarial things (eg pouring water for clients), you better do it competently with a big smile!

- Do all your work well. Triple-check and re-read everything before you send it out (including emails). If necessary, print it out and go over it in hard copy line by line - it's usually easier to spot typos this way.

- If you have no work, you could consider going to other departments to ask (and it's a good opportunity to try other areas of the law if you're interested!). If you have absolutely nothing to do, spend the time reading up on things like the Financial Times or the firm's internal training materials.

- Take your assessments seriously (eg client pitch, negotiation exercise). Ask the trainees who came through VSes for advice.

- Be careful with what you say to anyone - you never know whether it will be taken into account (eg your supervisor might 'informally interview' you on the first day you get to your seat). You always want to give the impression that you want to be here, and that you're a great fit for the firm.

- Talk to other people! As much as a VS is for the firm to assess if they like you, it's also an opportunity for you to decide if you like the firm and if a legal career suits you. Talk to everyone about their experiences (including support staff - they can be very insightful about a firm's culture). I was quite scared of talking to people because I didn't want to distract them, but the key is sensing when they're "free" to talk. Most people are pretty happy to talk to you if they aren't swamped with work. And certainly approach them at social events if you see them hanging around.

- Befriend the other interns, but be aware that some of them might have ulterior motives (some see VS/ TC as a zero-sum game). It makes the VS much more enjoyable, and you might be able to collect useful information. Plus, it's good to get to know your potential colleagues early on.

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
Since when do Milbank do tests? As far as I know it's just a straight assessment center. So whoever told you that must mean somewhere else
Just to supplement ”We do not recruit on a rolling basis – We will wait till the deadline, January 31st 2020, at which point we will review all applications. Successful candidates will be invited to attend our Assessment Centre, which takes place in April 2020. If you have not been contacted by April 2020, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion”

Reactions: JayB

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
Since when do Milbank do tests? As far as I know it's just a straight assessment center. So whoever told you that must mean somewhere else
He said he had to do online tests. Definitely must be referring to another firm then lol! Apologies didn’t mean to give false information :rolleyes:

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
Just to supplement ”We do not recruit on a rolling basis – We will wait till the deadline, January 31st 2020, at which point we will review all applications. Successful candidates will be invited to attend our Assessment Centre, which takes place in April 2020. If you have not been contacted by April 2020, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion”
Cheers for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.