Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Within the space of one hour I received emails from two law firms that they are putting their trainee recruitment on hold for now.

I fully appreciate that these are strange times that we are living in and that these particular firms were more niche but all the same it is a bit sad for me after having invested my time in applications + also going through the first stage interview in one of them (well, the sliver lining is that they are going to keep my details on their files for when they resume recruitment).

This just adds to my spring VS being cancelled altogether and "further information to follow" so I guess here's that....I think I am going to treat myself to some comfort food + Bridget Jones tonight :)

That's tough, I really feel for you guys. There's so much uncertainty right now and it's hard where you've put so much work in only for it to be put on hold because of something out of your control. I think it's great that you're sharing this as I imagine many others reading this must be feeling the same thing. Hopefully you guys know you're not alone!

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Ifmhouse4 and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Yeah, that's my reading of it as well - hopefully they will resume recruitment in summer / autumn - I have been waiting for my TC for some time now so I guess a few months would not make that much of a difference, it's just that both emails came within one hour and so slight disappointment appeared :)
    No honestly, everyone is 100% entitled to their feelings regardless of what they are and I too would be disappointed - I really do understand :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/virt...p-with-shearman-sterling-tickets-101286243882

Just seen on Instagram that Shearman are offering a virtual training contract application workshop on the 1st April at midday! Think this is a brilliant idea and I am sure there will be some excellent pieces of advice shared :) Great to see that Shearman are still committed to helping candidates during this time, thank you @Paul - Shearman & Sterling and the rest of the graduate recruitment team for putting this together!

Paige M

Future Trainee
    Feb 13, 2019
    I am really curious to see what will happen to those who have already secured VS’ if firms decide to cancel all schemes this year. Will people be made TC offers based on their VS AC performance? Will we have to interview virtually for direct TC spaces? What about firms that don’t offer direct TC’s? So many questions, my anxiety is at its peak today. Anyway just praying that everyone is safe!

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 5, 2019
    https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/virt...p-with-shearman-sterling-tickets-101286243882

Just seen on Instagram that Shearman are offering a virtual training contract application workshop on the 1st April at midday! Think this is a brilliant idea and I am sure there will be some excellent pieces of advice shared :) Great to see that Shearman are still committed to helping candidates during this time, thank you @Paul - Shearman & Sterling and the rest of the graduate recruitment team for putting this together!

Thanks @Alice G ! I'm hoping to run a few over the next few week...or months!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I am really curious to see what will happen to those who have already secured VS’ if firms decide to cancel all schemes this year. Will people be made TC offers based on their VS AC performance? Will we have to interview virtually for direct TC spaces? What about firms that don’t offer direct TC’s? So many questions, my anxiety is at its peak today. Anyway just praying that everyone is safe!
    I understand your anxiety entirely and I would be the same, but firms, like educational institutions, will be trying their hardest to think about how they can make their decisions on this as fair as possible for candidates. I know it doesn’t help your worry and uncertain outcomes are always difficult but I hope it can reassure you even if just slightly :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Paige M

WinnieAnn

Standard Member
    Jan 6, 2020
    Hi guys, I hope everyone is keeping well during this time.
    ust got an email from a firm who have rescheduled their planned open day to a week of live practice area introductions, a commercial awareness session and trainee panel q & a's. Does anyone have any tips for virtual open days?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi guys, I hope everyone is keeping well during this time.
    ust got an email from a firm who have rescheduled their planned open day to a week of live practice area introductions, a commercial awareness session and trainee panel q & a's. Does anyone have any tips for virtual open days?
    I would treat as you would do a normal open day on the whole. Try to research the firm in advance and have some questions in mind you may wish to ask. The key difference I’d say is you might need to be more mindful of looking at your computer camera rather than the screen itself and to remember to be smiley when you’re on camera :) I would also check your internet connection and all the more technical things ahead of time too :) I would also advise you to keep a pad and paper beside you to note on rather than doing so on the laptop as you might look disengaged and Typing noises can be distracting in group video calls/conferencing.

those are just my initial thoughts, other people may have other tips for you on how to prep specifically for a virtual open day :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Unlikely - firms typically are setting a very different benchmark with vac scheme candidates than they do trainees.

I would expect more of a fast-track process.

The good thing about legal recruitment is that there is such a massive time lag. Many firms can probably afford to sit and wait for circumstances to return to normal. If they do feel they need to move things online and keep things speedy, then they will move interviews/ACs online.

if firms don’t run internships and have TCs to fill, they will have to do direct TC recruitment.

Reactions: Alice G

NMD

Star Member
    Feb 17, 2019
    Within the space of one hour I received emails from two law firms that they are putting their trainee recruitment on hold for now.

I fully appreciate that these are strange times that we are living in and that these particular firms were more niche but all the same it is a bit sad for me after having invested my time in applications + also going through the first stage interview in one of them (well, the sliver lining is that they are going to keep my details on their files for when they resume recruitment).

This just adds to my spring VS being cancelled altogether and "further information to follow" so I guess here's that....I think I am going to treat myself to some comfort food + Bridget Jones tonight :)
    Sending my best wishes. That is stressful but it sounds like you’ve done brilliantly this recruitment cycle! I was feeling the same tonight and ordered a hot cookie dough treat for myself lol.

csyn

Star Member
    Feb 3, 2020
    has anyone had experience submitting a 'writing sample' for a TC application?

i'm tempted to submit my last piece of coursework done on my undergrad degree, but its been a year since that was written. moreover, the coursework was on data protection law (#tb to the good old days of GDPR and Brexit) and the firm I'm aiming for is really big in international arbitration! any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.