General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Apr 21, 2019
I also finished the GDL without a TC last year.

The Law Support Group/ DA Solutions (same company) is a recruitment agency. I’ve found them really useful for shorter term document review placements (1-3 months). They’ve also found longer term placements for other people at law firms and also in-house departments.

I’d definitely recommend them as signing up is really quick and I found work with them only a few days after I joined. I’m London based, however so I don’t know much about their opportunities outside the city! I hope that’s helpful :)

Zoo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Apr 21, 2019

The Law Support Group/ DA Solutions (same company) is a recruitment agency. I’ve found them really useful for shorter term document review placements (1-3 months). They’ve also found longer term placements for other people at law firms and also in-house departments.

I’d definitely recommend them as signing up is really quick and I found work with them only a few days after I joined. I’m London based, however so I don’t know much about their opportunities outside the city! I hope that’s helpful :)
@Ayo Babatunde

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I am finishing the GDL in a couple of months but have not yet managed to secure a TC. I am hesitant about starting the LPC in September because I don't have a TC, so I am looking to potentially paralegal/intern for the next academic year. Does anyone have any advice about applying for paralegal/intern positions, or has been in a similar situation to the one I am in?

If anyone has any advice I would be very grateful :)
It may also be worth looking into F-LEX which is a platform that places people into paralegal positions :) I haven’t got experience with their service myself but do know a bit about the business and know people who paralegal through it too and it sounds like a great initiative :)

ZA

Dec 30, 2018
Yeahh, I completed mine in early January. Seems like a lifetime ago now. No idea whats happening as they've not been in contact.

Hi!

So I submitted the application in January to DAC Beachcroft and heard a few weeks ago inviting me to do a VI, deadline this week. And then they said once they review it they will be in touch to let people know whether they are through to assessment centres in June and July. Hope that helps.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Quick question...

Final year student in non-law degree, have two vac schemes over summer that are apparently still taking place. I am a bit confused as to what to do concerning the GDL - do i apply for the GDL now? I have heard it doesn't matter and you can apply a few weeks before. I am asking because i know the firms have preferences to where i do the GDL - should i therefore wait to apply until after vac schemes (if they happen) to see if i get TC and therefore firm chooses where i go or apply anyway?

Thanks if anyone can help!
    I'm in exactly the same position as you, final year, non-law with a vac scheme over the summer. I've already applied and had my place accepted for the GDL but that was only because I live pretty close to the University of Law's Guildford campus and want to save rent for a year and then move to London for the LPC. I think Gibson Dunn's provider is BPP but they've told me they're pretty flexible where people study the GDL; it's the LPC they're more concerned about as they want the future trainees to study together and get to know each other before they all start at the firm.

Reactions: Alice G

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    if you are offered a TC and if the firm typically sponsors its future trainees for the GDL then all of that will be arranged after the offer. I think firms reserve a number of spaces for their trainees per year and so you would need to apply to the GDL which the firm will guide you through. I would advise you apply asap though if you intend to self-fund if you do not convert the vac schemes. Might be worth ringing the law school/s to check how easy it would be to change the status of your app from being self-funded to sponsored just in case - I imagine this is something that commonly happens but perhaps best to check
    Yeah it's very easy to change your payment status. You literally just contact the admissions department telling them that you have a TC and that the firm will now be paying for you and then the law school contact the firm to confirm that's the case.

Reactions: Alice G

Ayo Babatunde

Star Member
    Oct 18, 2019

Thanks so much, I'll be London based too so this is really helpful! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Zoo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

This is important advice - start with temp roles and very short contracts rather than applying to permanent roles or longer term contracts.

Short term roles (whether temp -and by the hour, or short term contracts on a salary) tend to be much more flexible in terms of requirements/minimum criteria.

Long term contracts and perm roles typically require people to have experience or specific knowledge. Perm roles are particularly looking for people who will be career paralegals rather than people looking to be a paralegal for a relatively short period of time and then move on to be a trainee.

Popal

Distinguished Member
    Feb 25, 2020
    I am finishing the GDL in a couple of months but have not yet managed to secure a TC. I am hesitant about starting the LPC in September because I don't have a TC, so I am looking to potentially paralegal/intern for the next academic year. Does anyone have any advice about applying for paralegal/intern positions, or has been in a similar situation to the one I am in?

If anyone has any advice I would be very grateful :)

I was in the same boat two summers ago! Lucky enough to work as a paralegal now but my main advice would be to go into the process of applying for roles with an open mind - my first role was an unconventional route but it got me the tick-box legal experience I needed for a paralegal role!

I’d also say if you go down the recruitment agency route do be careful and focus your energy on one. I got caught in the trap of signing myself up for too many agencies which is a lot of hassle, and didn’t get a job through that route anyway!

Reactions: NickMcK

STWO

Distinguished Member
    Jan 5, 2019
    Does anyone have any interesting job areas outside of law that they are working in in London? Will be looking for a decently paid job (£30k-£40k) soon that isn't paralegalling (too competitive). Thanks for the help in advance :)

Asmee DC

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 17, 2019
    I have been offered conditional offers for University of Law and BPP for the LPC. BPP told me the deadline to accept the offer is in May. The firm I am supposed to have the vacation scheme for this upcoming summer is partnered with BPP. Obviously I would appreciate if the firm funds my LPC and am put in a difficult position because a TC is not guaranteed with this firm.

Do you suggest I still accept my LPC offer with BPP with the hope (and motivation) to secure a TC with the firm I have a vac scheme with? I'm also uncertain if it would be beneficial right now to talk with Grad Rec from the firm seeing that I haven't yet completed the vac scheme, or talk with BPP to discuss options. Any suggestions and guidance would be highly appreciated! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone have any interesting job areas outside of law that they are working in in London? Will be looking for a decently paid job (£30k-£40k) soon that isn't paralegalling (too competitive). Thanks for the help in advance :)

£30-40k will be a tough ask for most industries. If you think paralegalling is too competitive, than £30-40k entry level job (mostly finance) will be far more competitive.

Exception will be if you have extensive tech skills/a computer science degree, or other niche STEM knowledge.

• 📥
    Reactions: NickyRaykes and STWO

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have been offered conditional offers for University of Law and BPP for the LPC. BPP told me the deadline to accept the offer is in May. The firm I am supposed to have the vacation scheme for this upcoming summer is partnered with BPP. Obviously I would appreciate if the firm funds my LPC and am put in a difficult position because a TC is not guaranteed with this firm.

Do you suggest I still accept my LPC offer with BPP with the hope (and motivation) to secure a TC with the firm I have a vac scheme with? I'm also uncertain if it would be beneficial right now to talk with Grad Rec from the firm seeing that I haven't yet completed the vac scheme, or talk with BPP to discuss options. Any suggestions and guidance would be highly appreciated! :)

no - id just tell BPP you need an extension of the offer considering the corona virus outbreak.

BPP have spaces remaining on their courses each year - they will be signing people up in August. I wouldn’t get pushed into accepting early.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

Sammy Watkins

Mar 23, 2020

I graduated last year and without any previous paralegal experience secured permanent paralegal offers at White & Case, K&E and Macfarlanes. It's not that difficult to get a para role if you use a recruitment agency. I'm not sure what the salaries are this year, but last year W&C was offering 36k, Kirkland was 40k and Macfarlanes was around 34/35k. All these salaries are excluding overtime. If you work overtime, they pay you x1.5 for each hour after 5.30pm (this is for K&E where I ended up going).

MarathonNotaSprint

Star Member
    Mar 17, 2020
    Hey! Not currently working in this industry but recruitment is quite lucrative and most recruitment firms are not as competitive as the legal industry. I say this from experience as I previously worked in that industry.

In terms of pay within that band rate, I’d target finance recruitment and tech recruitment firms. Hope this helps!

Reactions: STWO

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I graduated last year and without any previous paralegal experience secured permanent paralegal offers at White & Case, K&E and Macfarlanes. It's not that difficult to get a para role if you use a recruitment agency. I'm not sure what the salaries are this year, but last year W&C was offering 36k, Kirkland was 40k and Macfarlanes was around 34/35k. All these salaries are excluding overtime. If you work overtime, they pay you x1.5 for each hour after 5.30pm (this is for K&E where I ended up going).
    Was this with or without the LPC? Those salaries are fairly high for paralegal- 30K is more the benchmark in my personal experience and I would challenge the idea that it is not difficult - getting a paralegal role without the LPC is tough. There are many with the LPC who do not have TCs and are also in the market for such roles. Wonderful that your experience has been so positive but I think for the vast majority of people it is extremely competitive and not as highly paid as your role.

Reactions: T.W, Shaz and Ricky

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    Was this with or without the LPC? Those salaries are fairly high for paralegal- 30K is more the benchmark in my personal experience and I would challenge the idea that it is not difficult - getting a paralegal role without the LPC is tough. There are many with the LPC who do not have TCs and are also in the market for such roles. Wonderful that your experience has been so positive but I think for the vast majority of people it is extremely competitive and not as highly paid as your role.
    I've mostly seen oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Durham, Exeter, Warwick, Bristol students that tend to have it a bit easier with paralegalling with an agency straight out of uni. Especially if they'd done a vacation scheme. I've seen people get it relatively easy when they're from those unis and have like good grades too.

• Dislike
    Reactions: Shaz and TChopeful2021
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.