Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 21, 2019
The grad rec team read every single application and they do not have a computer filtering system to assist so really do not worry about timescales for them. it will entirely depend on the volume of apps they have because their assessment of quality will no doubt depend on the overall standard of the apps for this year and it will depend on when yours gets read as well no doubt. Please don't worry and try to put it out of your mind for now (as I am trying to do this myself!)
Thank you! This has calmed me so much, just trying to not stress which is easier said than done!

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

Selggib16

Star Member
Jul 20, 2019
My guess is: 5 students per slot, 16 slots = 80 candidates interviewed.

Because CC give offers for TCs from their vacation schemes and spark schemes as well, and some people will reject their offer, I'm guessing 40-50 offers following this round of interviews.
Wow crazy competitive. I only did well in one interview out of the two, with stats like that I’d imagine you have to be on point with both.

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
The grad rec team read every single application and they do not have a computer filtering system to assist so really do not worry about timescales for them. it will entirely depend on the volume of apps they have because their assessment of quality will no doubt depend on the overall standard of the apps for this year and it will depend on when yours gets read as well no doubt. Please don't worry and try to put it out of your mind for now (as I am trying to do this myself!)
Do you know of any firms that do have a filtering system?

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Is anyone else in a position where it’s their first cycle and have absolutely no idea if my apps are good or not or am I just an over thinker? Feel like I spent a lot of time on it and went to a lot of events that helped with application but I’ve got two rejections so far without even progressing to the next stage and I’m feeling a little nervous!

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
Is anyone else in a position where it’s their first cycle and have absolutely no idea if my apps are good or not or am I just an over thinker? Feel like I spent a lot of time on it and went to a lot of events that helped with application but I’ve got two rejections so far without even progressing to the next stage and I’m feeling a little nervous!

I would purchase one of Jaysen's app reviews if you can? It has really helped me in knowing which direction to go in regarding content, style etc. And also helped with future apps as I feel like I can better replicate the style of ones he has had a look through.

• 🏆
Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

Alan

Star Member
Nov 17, 2019
Also guys If anyone has any tips on how to best prep for SJT interviews or if anyone did one for A&O and vaguely remembers anything at all I would be incredibly grateful to hear from any of you!! Absolutely determined to try my best with this one!!
Hi! In preparation for mine I did a few practise tests and went through the worked answers. Also I find it useful to have a tab open with the firms competencies and check your answer coincides with the competencies, and to also be consistent with your answers. Hope this helps!

• 🏆
Reactions: Alice G

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Bakers now do this. If a candidate has a 2:2 in one module and no mitigating circumstances, they are out!
No way! How do you know this? Pretty shameful if true, as I remember speaking to the recruiter at the law fair and asked if I should still apply despite having a couple of 2.2s and she really encouraged me to still apply.

A4991

Star Member
Nov 20, 2019
Not true, i had 2:2 in one module, no mc and got to VI, waiting for response

I agree with this. I had a few 2:2s in a few of my first year modules but still managed to secure a training contract at HL. As long as you can show that each year you improved that I think helps.

I also was made an offer from HSF spring vacation scheme, in addition I have been invited to AC at Clifford Chance, Slaughters and Allen & Overy. Individual module grades are less important as long as you can get a 2:1 minimum overall and can submit a strong application with lots of different experiences which highlight your skills/abilities :)

Grades will never be the sole reason why your application gets accepted or rejected. It is looked at alongside the other parts of your application. If they think you have submitted a strong application in other parts and that you show potential/genuine enthusiasm you will eventually get something :)

A lot of it comes down to having self belief and confidence in yourself. I strongly believe that goes a long way. I used to be nervous and unsure of myself and it never got me anywhere. I used to constantly compare myself to my peers and others and it made me feel worse. I felt like I wasting my time/energy comparing myself and feeling terrible which I could have used instead to improve myself/ my knowledge and my confidence. Fast forward a year, I have the self belief, confidence and determination which I believe has gone a long way in allowing me to reach AC at many firms.

Generally speaking here, as long as you are committed to putting in the work and hours making sure you present the best version of yourself and gaining an understanding of both the legal and commercial sector you will be in a very strong position to be successful in obtaining a vacation scheme or training contract.

Last edited:

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
No way! How do you know this? Pretty shameful if true, as I remember speaking to the recruiter at the law fair and asked if I should still apply despite having a couple of 2.2s and she really encouraged me to still apply.

I attended their open day, and I think part of it is true. As someone mentioned this to the GR, they said they will consider someone with couple 2:2s in a few modules, but if you got a 2:2 in one particular year e.g. first, second or third then you will be automatically rejected.

So @A4991 is right that, it doesn’t matter if you get 2:2s in couple modules. If you got a 2:2 overall for one year then you would be automatically rejected from Bakers.

I think that is what @Holly meant!

Reactions: Holly
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.