Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
I attended their open day, and I think part of it is true. As someone mentioned this to the GR, they said they will consider someone with couple 2:2s in a few modules, but if you got a 2:2 in one particular year e.g. first, second or third then you will be automatically rejected.

So @A4991 is right that, it doesn’t matter if you get 2:2s in couple modules. If you got a 2:2 overall for one year then you would be automatically rejected from Bakers.

I think that is what @Holly meant!
I see that's interesting. I don't see why that information isn't publicised, Baker's application is particularly long, why not say something like this so candidates don't waste hours and hours applying for it have an automatic rejection?

Reactions: AspiringSol

A4991

Star Member
Nov 20, 2019
I see that's interesting. I don't see why that information isn't publicised, Baker's application is particularly long, why not say something like this so candidates don't waste hours and hours applying for it have an automatic rejection?

Bakers do not reject you if you get a few 2:2s. I was at the open day and UCL presentation. They said its fine to have a few lower grades as long as the rest of your application/grades are strong. They take a overall approach to applications and will not reject you if you got 2:2s in a few modules.

Besides, Bakers are one of the nicer firms in terms of making allowances.

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
I attended their open day, and I think part of it is true. As someone mentioned this to the GR, they said they will consider someone with couple 2:2s in a few modules, but if you got a 2:2 in one particular year e.g. first, second or third then you will be automatically rejected.

So @A4991 is right that, it doesn’t matter if you get 2:2s in couple modules. If you got a 2:2 overall for one year then you would be automatically rejected from Bakers.

I think that is what @Holly meant!
!

Thank you! Sorry for the mistake guys, I meant one year not one module. I’ve deleted the post to reduce confusion :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
!

Thank you! Sorry for the mistake guys, I meant one year not one module. I’ve deleted the post to reduce confusion :)
Don't worry! It is possible for firms to have changing conventions year on year too so it is always useful to hear what other people have heard and sometimes misunderstandings and miscommunications do happen :) Thank you for sharing your insight and to everyone else who also contributed as these discussions are really valuable!

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
Should I be concerned if I applied to bakers on 23rd December and haven’t heard anything? (No WG or anything)

You shouldn’t, as it’s may be just they have a back log, if you haven’t heard back it doesn’t mean you’ve been rejected! I applied back mid-Nov, and received a WG link like 3-4 weeks later, don’t worry!

I still haven’t heard back and I completed their VI couple weeks ago now.

• 🤝
Reactions: Alice G and bethbristol

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Nope, I'm waiting on Spring - really hope I progress, love the firm! Not overly optimistic though as I've seen other people received VI invites.
last year they sent VI invites out in at least two batches for the spring scheme, assumedly to manage the reviewing of them better, so don't worry about this!

• 🤝
Reactions: J32

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019
I agree with this. I had a few 2:2s in a few of my first year modules but still managed to secure a training contract at HL. As long as you can show that each year you improved that I think helps.

I also was made an offer from HSF spring vacation scheme, in addition I have been invited to AC at Clifford Chance, Slaughters and Allen & Overy. Individual module grades are less important as long as you can get a 2:1 minimum overall and can submit a strong application with lots of different experiences which highlight your skills/abilities :)

Grades will never be the sole reason why your application gets accepted or rejected. It is looked at alongside the other parts of your application. If they think you have submitted a strong application in other parts and that you show potential/genuine enthusiasm you will eventually get something :)

A lot of it comes down to having self belief and confidence in yourself. I strongly believe that goes a long way. I used to be nervous and unsure of myself and it never got me anywhere. I used to constantly compare myself to my peers and others and it made me feel worse. I felt like I wasting my time/energy comparing myself and feeling terrible which I could have used instead to improve myself/ my knowledge and my confidence. Fast forward a year, I have the self belief, confidence and determination which I believe has gone a long way in allowing me to reach AC at many firms.

Generally speaking here, as long as you are committed to putting in the work and hours making sure you present the best version of yourself and gaining an understanding of both the legal and commercial sector you will be in a very strong position to be successful in obtaining a vacation scheme or training contract.

I always tend to compare myself to others, especially my friends who are also in law and in the same boat. It's hard being supportive and happy for others, while I haven't even gotten invited to an AC yet for any firm I've applied to. However, you reminded me of changing my mindset and perspective! Really needed to hear this today, so thank you :)

Mohammed

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 30, 2018
Hi I was rejected from Linklaters Spring VS. I applied on the deadline and did the WG test 4 days later so probably one of the later applications. I received 33/40 for WG, in the 83% percentile so I think they make decisions heavily based on the situational judgements which is a bit surprising.

• 🤝
Reactions: Dheepa

A4991

Star Member
Nov 20, 2019
I always tend to compare myself to others, especially my friends who are also in law and in the same boat. It's hard being supportive and happy for others, while I haven't even gotten invited to an AC yet for any firm I've applied to. However, you reminded me of changing my mindset and perspective! Really needed to hear this today, so thank you :)

It's a really hard mindset to get out of. You don't have to be supportive or happy. Just try not to be negative or focus on what they are doing. Channel that negativity into making yourself the best version of you :)

It does take some time and there will be moments when you feel low. The moment I stopped comparing myself to others, I started feeling more confident and happier in myself. If you want to talk I am a inbox away! This took quite a while to get through but the sooner you start the better it will be for you :)

Your time will come :D

• 🤝
  • 🏆
Reactions: Asmee DC, Alice G and jan28
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.