Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star Member
Sep 4, 2019
I don't think it went particularly well, and no I don't think I had a curve ball question. Did you do it too?
Ah ok thanks, best of luck with hearing back. I'm going to get it done this weekend. I know it said they'd be assessed on a rolling basis but I haven't seen anyone having an AC date yet for summer.

epwz98

Oct 31, 2019
Hey all,

I've been getting a few questions on the Bakers VI, so I thought I'd share what I can remember of my experiences here! It's been awhile since I've done my VI, but I'll try to give you as much information as possible.

Expect the usual motivation/competency questions (give me an example why.. why Baker..etc). Importantly, there are 2 random situation questions, and from my experience talking to friends, they can be quite different and are hard to predict, so I can't give you much advice on that, except just be prepared!

I hope this helps!

SG

Future Trainee
Jan 16, 2020
Hey all,

I've been getting a few questions on the Bakers VI, so I thought I'd share what I can remember of my experiences here! It's been awhile since I've done my VI, but I'll try to give you as much information as possible.

Expect the usual motivation/competency questions (give me an example why.. why Baker..etc). Importantly, there are 2 random situation questions, and from my experience talking to friends, they can be quite different and are hard to predict, so I can't give you much advice on that, except just be prepared!

I hope this helps!

Just to add to this, I didn’t receive those 2
random questions, so I think they use a bank of questions and therefore the type of questions you get might be very different! I had a commercial awareness question at the end, for example :)

bel123456

Valued Member
Jan 24, 2020
Just to add to this, I didn’t receive those 2
random questions, so I think they use a bank of questions and therefore the type of questions you get might be very different! I had a commercial awareness question at the end, for example :)
second this. i didn’t get the same kinds of questions; it was all really random! fun though :) just mostly competency

Reactions: SG

James Kitching

Distinguished Member
Oct 26, 2019
Just got invited for an AC with HSF, and it's my first ever assessment centre. I've been told its really tough, does anyone have any advice? Thank you in advance :)

I did a post on the HSF AC on this thread a week or so ago, i'll copy it again here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copy of previous post:

I’ve read so many posts about HSF AC help, so I’ll do this and hopefully others who still need help will see it.

I am a science student, and got quite buggered by HSF at the start of Jan, felt really let down as I was very passionate yet got rejected because of my lack of knowledge on financial deals/business structure.

3 stages, as we all know: competency, case study, scenario, we need not discuss competency as that’s straight forward, right?

Case Study:
Read some documents, deduce potential economical/legal pitfalls within the documentation (terms, exclusivity contract etc) discuss them with the partner, you are advising him as if he is your client.
Recommendation is to structure your answer clearly, baring in mind short/medium/long term consequences and as always, try and build rapport.

Scenario:
Changes for everyone, but you are told that the client is in position X (they are in a bad situation) and need our advice, what must we consider, who is going to be affected, what is our goal (basically focus on preserving stock value, that is what the client and shareholders really care about) - I recommend researching how a business is structured, in terms of executive/non-executive directors, share-holders etc.

I hope this is clear, it may not be, but I tried.

If you are non-law, you are NOT meant to know any legal implications in any great detail, however, you are not safe from the economics/business, that was my downfall - and I think that’s unfair to be honest, but whatever, best of luck!

Reactions: Dheepa and Daniel Boden

lawstudent123

Feb 15, 2020
Hi all - this is a long shot but i am hoping there is someone out there who may have experienced something similar who could provide some helpful advice please:

I was offered a TC at an international law firm in its Manchester office towards the end of last year (technically within this app cycle). I rejected this as my mother is very ill and i wouldnt have been able to move to Manchester from where i currently live (Cornwall) as i would have to provide care for her and the rest of my family. my circumstances have now changed (it has been around 3 months since i rejected) and luckily she is in a better place and i would be able to move away from home now. I want to email the firm and ask them if my offer could be reinstated (they know about my family situation - I explained this when i rejected) - but i am not sure how successful i will be in doing this. Could anyone offer any advice or let me know if anyone has been successful in turning around their rejection of a TC?

may be a long shot but thank you if anyone can.

Last edited:

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
Hi all - this is a long shot but i am hoping there is someone out there who may have experienced something similar who could provide some helpful advice please:

I was offered a TC at an international law firm in its Manchester office towards the end of last year (technically within this app cycle). I rejected this as my mother is very ill and i wouldnt have been able to move to Manchester from where i currently live (Cornwall) as i would have to provide care for her and the rest of my family. my circumstances have now changed (it has been around 3 months since i rejected) and luckily she is in a better place and i would be able to move away from home now. I want to email the firm and ask them if my offer could be reinstated (they know about my family situation - I explained this when i rejected) - but i am not sure how successful i will be in doing this. Could anyone offer any advice or let me know if anyone has been successful in turning around their rejection of a TC?

Hey I think they’d just advice you to reapply man.

Reactions: GM

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

in these situations, it is best to ask to defer your place for a year rather than withdraw completely.

I had something similar happen once before - the individual reneged on an offer and then circumstances meant they wanted their offer reinstated. In that situation we fast tracked them to final round interview, but we felt it was important to interview them again. Was clearly a good move as the individual is still at the firm in question.

given the circumstances in this instance, the firm may be more flexible. However, they may be concerned around your commitment to Manchester if circumstances were to change again, so they may not be so open. If they are open to the idea, it’s likely you will be considered for a year later’s intake.

I would contact them and say whether your applications could be reconsidered (rather than the offer reinstated) and if so, what stage you would need to start the process from again.

That shows a willingness from your side to go through the process again, and not the assumption your offer will be reinstated

• ℹ️
Reactions: Aurochschiette

lawstudent123

Feb 15, 2020
in these situations, it is best to ask to defer your place for a year rather than withdraw completely.

I had something similar happen once before - the individual reneged on an offer and then circumstances meant they wanted their offer reinstated. In that situation we fast tracked them to final round interview, but we felt it was important to interview them again. Was clearly a good move as the individual is still at the firm in question.

given the circumstances in this instance, the firm may be more flexible. However, they may be concerned around your commitment to Manchester if circumstances were to change again, so they may not be so open. If they are open to the idea, it’s likely you will be considered for a year later’s intake.

I would contact them and say whether your applications could be reconsidered (rather than the offer reinstated) and if so, what stage you would need to start the process from again.

That shows a willingness from your side to go through the process again, and not the assumption your offer will be reinstated

Thank you for coming back to me - i was told that they were not able to defer offers/recruit for the following year which is why i had to withdraw completely. i will take on your advice and speak to them and demonstrate i am willing to go through the process again.

Karin

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Hey guys, I'm in a really sticky situation right now...
    I know this might sound ungrateful to some but I'm thinking of not attending an interview at Macfarlanes which I have been offered. I'm going through a lot of stress right now and suffer from anxiety. I have already secured a vac scheme with DLA Piper and have been rejected from Freshfields. I prepared a lot for the Freshfields AC and I still did not get it and so I really don't want to think about preparing for the Macfarlanes one to that extent since I just cannot 'wing' it. The thought of going through this again is actually making me very stressed right now. I honestly am happy with having one vac scheme this year. I know Macfarlanes have a small intake and given the type of interview is about thinking on your feet (something I am not good at), I doubt I would get it anyway.
    I don't know, I feel like my mind is kind of made up but I just wanted to share to know what some of you think about this... any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thank you!
    I completely understand where you are coming from as I have been in a similar position last year, when I passed on Simmons & Simmons video interview as i was too stressed about my AC and just didnt think i could take any more pressure. However, now I wish I at least gave it a chance as if anything else, it would be one mroe experience that could make me more prepared for my future interviews.
    Your mental health should always be your priority so take your time and think about it, but seeing you have done other two ACs (one has secured you a vacation scheme) you are most likely more prepared and more able than you think. Good luck with whatever decision you make!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.