Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

S30

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2019
Honestly, I don't know because on their website it said that they only send WG after reviewing your application so when I received the test invite I thought it was because I had been successful on the app but clearly not lol

I think the process has changed, they send the WG link automatically 1-2 days after submitting your application. After submitting your WG test, it’s then they read your application.

S30

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2019
So if they read your application then you have passed the test?

Yeah I think so, you will need to pass their benchmark on the test (they don’t disclose this though) and then they consider your application. But I think more emphasis is placed on your written answer and the CV submitted.

When did you complete the test?

• ℹ️
Reactions: JoNo

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Yeah I think so, you will need to pass their benchmark on the test (they don’t disclose this though) and then they consider your application. But I think more emphasis is placed on your written answer and the CV submitted.

When did you complete the test?
Haven't sent my application yet because I was nervous about the WG so this has reassured me a bit.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Heard back from SQB and got a video interview! :) Was a weird email though, seems like it was from Hireview rather than SQB.
Firms use different facilitators to communicate to candidates and also different testing and video interviewing platforms. It is likely that Hireview is just the VI service provider for SQB so I wouldn’t worry about that.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Also as a general note of advice to everyone taking tests and VIs, if you feel a deadline is unclear because it says something like ‘9th November GMT +00:00’ there’s nothing wrong with emailing to gain clarification. It’s better to be sure than to take the risk of not knowing and miss the deadline, firms are unlikely to offer you a second chance and it’s such a shame for your hard work to be forfeited over a mistake like that.

Reactions: Maddie R

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Firms use different facilitators to communicate to candidates and also different testing and video interviewing platforms. It is likely that Hireview is just the VI service provider for SQB so I wouldn’t worry about that.
Okay thanks, so I won't get an email with more information from the firm?

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Okay thanks, so I won't get an email with more information from the firm?
I couldn’t vouch for that but I would assume if they too were going to email you they’d try and coordinate it so you get the information at the same time.

was the Hireview email sufficiently detailed? Did it tell you how many days you had to complete the test and did it provide a test link? Did it give some advice at all in the body of the email?

arcnor

Nov 6, 2019
I had my interview last Wednesday and was hoping to have heard by now. Fingers crossed I will find out today! This is for direct TC Sept 2020. What was yours for?

I'm still waiting too, interviewed last week on Thursday for a direct TC September 2020. Someone even asked them when we would hear back and they emphasised "because we are so efficient it would look bad if we didn't respond quickly, so will definitely be next week"!

Fingers crossed for today!

Reactions: Ricky

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
I couldn’t vouch for that but I would assume if they too were going to email you they’d try and coordinate it so you get the information at the same time.

was the Hireview email sufficiently detailed? Did it tell you how many days you had to complete the test and did it provide a test link? Did it give some advice at all in the body of the email?
I suppose it says all the information but no advice on what the interview would entail.

Dear

SQB would like to invite you to participate in a digital interview.
Duration: Six Minutes
Complete by: Nov 11th
Click here for interview

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I suppose it says all the information but no advice on what the interview would entail.

Dear

SQB would like to invite you to participate in a digital interview.
Duration: Six Minutes
Complete by: Nov 11th
Click here for interview

I can’t really recall my VI invites last year but I think they tend to be quite snappy and they don’t tend to detail too much. The testers nor the firm would indicate what might come up or what to focus on but I guess you might have meant how long you would have to speak etc. In which case, I’m sure there are people on here from last year who might be able to help you with that :) my guess is 6 minutes could mean 3 questions with 30 seconds to think and perhaps 1:30 to answer. That’s a total guess though so don’t quote me! :) well done on the VI and wishing you the very best with it!!

• 🏆
Reactions: Jai C.

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
I can’t really recall my VI invites last year but I think they tend to be quite snappy and they don’t tend to detail too much. The testers nor the firm would indicate what might come up or what to focus on but I guess you might have meant how long you would have to speak etc. In which case, I’m sure there are people on here from last year who might be able to help you with that :) my guess is 6 minutes could mean 3 questions with 30 seconds to think and perhaps 1:30 to answer. That’s a total guess though so don’t quote me! :) well done on the VI and wishing you the very best with it!!
Thanks so much! I'll definitely do that

Reactions: Alice G

Paralegal178

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
May 27, 2019
Guys I’m really struggling to differentiate between the MC firms. More specifically, between Linklaters and Freshfields/A&O. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
Guys I’m really struggling to differentiate between the MC firms. More specifically, between Linklaters and Freshfields/A&O. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? Thanks!

TCLA has profiles on the MC firms (minus Freshfields) here, which might be helpful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/insights/allen-overy-2/

Some things to think about when trying to differentiate firms:
  • Structure of the training contract
  • Particular strengths (whether geographical or by practice area)
  • Focus on innovation

Reactions: Soliha
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.