Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
I'm so jealous of you guys! I have never had a VS and have had one unsuccessful AC. The rest is pure post-app rejections :D

Keep grinding! You clearly have been able to "beat" the paper sift by getting one AC. Now that you have completed one, you will have a fair idea what to expect and can go in with a little more confidence to your next AC :)

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I'm so jealous of you guys! I have never had a VS and have had one unsuccessful AC. The rest is pure post-app rejections :D

Full disclosure, I've submitted over 30 apps across two cycles and about 20+ of them were all immediate post-app rejections/post online test rejections. I can't even count the number of days I've stayed home in bed upset over a rejection for an app I drafted 5/6 versions of, and the number of breakdowns I've had with friends and family over being "not good enough".

The more app cycles you do the better you get at writing them and the more your confidence builds at ACs. If you've already made it to one AC you definitely have what it takes to get past the app stage. I know it's easy for me to say now, but believe in yourself and keep trying! All you need is one vac and one TC, and it will happen!!

• 🤝
    • 🏆
    Reactions: M1999, J32, Rachel S and 18 others

bethbristol

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 30, 2019
    Full disclosure, I've submitted over 30 apps across two cycles and about 20+ of them were all immediate post-app rejections/post online test rejections. I can't even count the number of days I've stayed home in bed upset over a rejection for an app I drafted 5/6 versions of, and the number of breakdowns I've had with friends and family over being "not good enough".

The more app cycles you do the better you get at writing them and the more your confidence builds at ACs. If you've already made it to one AC you definitely have what it takes to get past the app stage. I know it's easy for me to say now, but believe in yourself and keep trying! All you need is one vac and one TC, and it will happen!!

Needed this today thank you

Andreasyau1

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 17, 2018
    Just to add to the above, I've had around 40ish rejections over the two cycles I've done apps in, and failed 4/7 assessment centers. Before my TC interview with Links on a Thursday, I was riding a streak of 2 consecutive AC failures (Tuesday and Friday before that Thursday).

A lot of us, myself included, do not really post how often we get PFOs. But hey it's part of the process and pretty much every trainee/associate I've spoken to has had a crap ton of rejected apps (there are maybe one or two exceptions).

It's depressing sometimes, (I was very anxious as an international student going into my final year without a TC) but you'll become stronger as a result of it.

gigi23

Distinguished Member
    Jan 18, 2019
    From a recent candidate (though note, questions may rotate):

‘The VI was relatively straightforward. It was only 3 competency/strengths based questions (1 min to respond, I think?). No commercial awareness or motivational ones so no need to worry here.

Overall I was definitely stressing way too much and it was much friendlier than anticipated.’

Just wanted to say I took the VI yesterday (and it went veeeeery badly for me) and there actually was a big motivational question (which required good knowledge of the firm and its work) in there.

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 8, 2019
    I can't believe i am writing this.. i am literally shaking. I JUST GOT OFFERED A VACATION SCHEME FROM SIDLEY AUSTIN. Honestly thank you so much to everyone in this forum. The rejections that I have received made me loose hope this cycle. I have another interview on Monday with Vinson Elkins. Pray for me yall.
    Congrats!! :)

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Because this thread is going to be closed soon, I will conclude on my part by sending you guys lotssssss of love and good luck with applications/ WG/ VIs/ ACs/becoming an equity partner/whatever. We all will eventually be hired :D one day

that's quite a big jump from AC straight to equity partner hahah but imagine!! and you too! :D

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Anyone have any experience with Shoosmiths commitment to interview disabled candidates?

So much amazing news on here lately you’re all smashing it!

many firms (if not all) will be able to provide reasonable adjustments subject to each individual’s disability and requirements.

Star Member
    Sep 4, 2019
    Just to add to the above, I've had around 40ish rejections over the two cycles I've done apps in, and failed 4/7 assessment centers. Before my TC interview with Links on a Thursday, I was riding a streak of 2 consecutive AC failures (Tuesday and Friday before that Thursday).

A lot of us, myself included, do not really post how often we get PFOs. But hey it's part of the process and pretty much every trainee/associate I've spoken to has had a crap ton of rejected apps (there are maybe one or two exceptions).

It's depressing sometimes, (I was very anxious as an international student going into my final year without a TC) but you'll become stronger as a result of it.
    Congratulations! Just wondering if you felt anything went much better in your successful AC compared to the ones you had just before? / what made it successful in comparison to the others?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.