Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andreasyau1

Star Member
Future Trainee
Sep 17, 2018
I was wondering how many times should you re-apply to the same firm? Just got my rejection from Weil for the 4th time (1st year scheme, brand ambassador after telephone interview, last year's vac scheme, now this year's vac scheme)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I was wondering how many times should you re-apply to the same firm? Just got my rejection from Weil for the 4th time (1st year scheme, brand ambassador after telephone interview, last year's vac scheme, now this year's vac scheme)
This is an interesting question as there isn’t a right or wrong. For me, I’d say keep applying for as long as you personally feel like you are able and prepared to. If you really like a firm then I don’t think it’s ever worth giving up. I actually remember being at a CC open day and one trainee applied five years straight. It was something they were able to laugh about with grad rec but grad rec did make the point that it demonstrated that trainee’s commitment and desire for the firm and that it didn’t go unnoticed. I hope that helps you in some way but just see how you get on this year, fingers crossed you get good news! And, if you do apply next cycle, then just make the judgement call based on how you feel then :)

so sorry to hear of the rejection but I’m absolutely sure you’ll have something good coming just round the corner as you’re clearly putting in the work and effort!

Reactions: Camilla

Andreasyau1

Star Member
Future Trainee
Sep 17, 2018
This is an interesting question as there isn’t a right or wrong. For me, I’d say keep applying for as long as you personally feel like you are able and prepared to. If you really like a firm then I don’t think it’s ever worth giving up. I actually remember being at a CC open day and one trainee applied five years straight. It was something they were able to laugh about with grad rec but grad rec did make the point that it demonstrated that trainee’s commitment and desire for the firm and that it didn’t go unnoticed. I hope that helps you in some way but just see how you get on this year, fingers crossed you get good news! And, if you do apply next cycle, then just make the judgement call based on how you feel then :)

so sorry to hear of the rejection but I’m absolutely sure you’ll have something good coming just round the corner as you’re clearly putting in the work and effort!

Thanks Alice I might try for the 5th timetnext year if I need to then haha.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

arcnor

Nov 6, 2019
I am in my final year and applied for 2021 start date!

Hi, sorry I meant what stage of the application were you at?

My response times for 2020 application were as follows:

August 23rd: Submitted Application
September 4th: Invite to SJT
October 2nd: Invite to Assessment
October 31st: Assessment
November 14th: Offer

Faye

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 3, 2018
Hey guys!! just got an email from Freshfields to say I got a place on the grad workshop! So happy and hope you guys who applied heard back positively. Would be so nice to meet some of you there!
Same here, see you there!:)

Congratulations to you both, I've just been rejected from the workshop unfortunately - would have been nice to meet some of you in person!
Quite annoyed about the rejection because I've done work experience with the firm and met them at a few evening presentations, but I can imagine they probably received a lot of applications for the places available, with it being the only option for graduates other than direct TC!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Congratulations to you both, I've just been rejected from the workshop unfortunately - would have been nice to meet some of you in person!
Quite annoyed about the rejection because I've done work experience with the firm and met them at a few evening presentations, but I can imagine they probably received a lot of applications for the places available, with it being the only option for graduates other than direct TC!
So sorry to hear this @Faye, i actually was not too hopeful as workshops and open days do tend to be more compeittive than VS and TC applications because there isn't the option to hold ACs etc. I am more than happy to do a write up of the day on here to help anyone who did not get a space so that hopefully your TC applications can be made with the knowledge and insight we manage to glean from their graduate recruitment and also any pertinent facts about the firm. :)

Faye

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 3, 2018
So sorry to hear this @Faye, i actually was not too hopeful as workshops and open days do tend to be more compeittive than VS and TC applications because there isn't the option to hold ACs etc. I am more than happy to do a write up of the day on here to help anyone who did not get a space so that hopefully your TC applications can be made with the knowledge and insight we manage to glean from their graduate recruitment and also any pertinent facts about the firm. :)

It would be so useful if you could do a writeup of the day on here, if you have time after the workshop! Thank you so much :)

Reactions: Alice G

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2019
just got VS offer from DLA! - just wonderinf if anyone has any vague idea of the offer rates on VS', or even better for DLA's in particular. Are they upwards of 70/80%? Or lower than 50%? I have no idea whatsoever! Thanks in advance. Could you help at all please @Jessica Booker ? Thanks
Hi can i ask when you submitted your app and when you were interviewed? I still havent anything! Didnt realise they were rolling this year

Reactions: gigi23 and JoNo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.