Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralegal178

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
May 27, 2019
Hi guys.

Just heard back from an AC for a TC I really wanted and am gutted to be unsuccessful. I have another I’m waiting to hear from and one this week with a firm I’m not overly keen on.

Do you think it’s worth making a few last ditch applications at this late stage? Do firms really consider applications so near to the deadline? Would appreciate any advice!

Thanks

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi guys.

Just heard back from an AC for a TC I really wanted and am gutted to be unsuccessful. I have another I’m waiting to hear from and one this week with a firm I’m not overly keen on.

Do you think it’s worth making a few last ditch applications at this late stage? Do firms really consider applications so near to the deadline? Would appreciate any advice!

Thanks

Yes definitely. A couple of firms may not be worth doing (e.g., A&O have historically reviewed vac scheme apps quite early - not sure about training contracts), but it's hard to say what other firms are like that. The other thing to flag up is if it would prevent you from applying for a TC later this year and you wanted to wait. Again, it's not always clear which firms fall in that category.

Personally, I'd apply to as many as I could. A huge chunk of applications come in close to the deadline.

PS: if this is coming from reading this article: https://www.legalcheek.com/2015/07/last-minute-training-contract-applications-are-a-waste-of-time/, I asked a former magic circle recruiter about this a while back.

She said the following:

"Recruited enough people from last minute applications to know it’s not a problem.

The reason they are a waste of time is that it’s highly likely that if you are doing them last minute, you are rushing the application. Your research probably isn’t as thorough, you haven’t got time for someone else to check your application, or for you to triple check for errors.

This means that generally standards of applications near the deadline are awful (collectively) because people rush to get them in, rather than putting in a considered application."

Rahma

Standard Member
    Apr 3, 2019
    Hi guys.

Thanks

Hi

I am in the same boat. I heard back from one firm yesterday with whom I was unsuccessful. I am therefore having to go back to the drawing board and will be submitting a couple more last minute applications this summer. One is due at end of July and the second is due by the
    end of August. I am still however, waiting to hear back from two other firms I applied to, and their deadlines have just recently passed.

I do echo the sentiment that last minute applications can lead to weaker applications. However, if like me, you have found the questions to be along similar lines, I do believe you can tweak your answers from your previous successful applications sufficiently to adapt them to your chosen firms, without it being to your detriment. Thus, the only question which really requires a concerted effort and proper research to answer, is usually the ‘why this firm’ question.

One of the firms I applied to and and am still waiting on, allowed me to submit my application a week after the deadline due to a mix up on their website. They informed me that they had yet to review any of the applications they had received. I realise this is not the norm but just wanted to point out that it is very much dependent on the firm so there is every reason to continue to apply.

I wish you the best of luck!.

Amanda

Star Member
    Jan 2, 2019
    Hi everyone -just a general question- How many Training contract applications per cycle is too many? Im starting to grow more concerned as I keep seeing advice stating that less is more? Is this realy the case? Secondly does anyone have advice on why I keep getting rejected at the application stage. I have only made it passed that stage once out of several applications.
    Perhaps I am not applying to the right firms but how do you know which firms are more likely to take you?

PB

Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2018
    Hi

I am in the same boat. I heard back from one firm yesterday with whom I was unsuccessful. I am therefore having to go back to the drawing board and will be submitting a couple more last minute applications this summer. One is due at end of July and the second is due by the
    end of August. I am still however, waiting to hear back from two other firms I applied to, and their deadlines have just recently passed.

I do echo the sentiment that last minute applications can lead to weaker applications. However, if like me, you have found the questions to be along similar lines, I do believe you can tweak your answers from your previous successful applications sufficiently to adapt them to your chosen firms, without it being to your detriment. Thus, the only question which really requires a concerted effort and proper research to answer, is usually the ‘why this firm’ question.

One of the firms I applied to and and am still waiting on, allowed me to submit my application a week after the deadline due to a mix up on their website. They informed me that they had yet to review any of the applications they had received. I realise this is not the norm but just wanted to point out that it is very much dependent on the firm so there is every reason to continue to apply.

I wish you the best of luck!.

Hi Rahma,

Best of luck with your applications! Do you mind sharing the firm that has the end of August deadline?

Thank you

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone -just a general question- How many Training contract applications per cycle is too many? Im starting to grow more concerned as I keep seeing advice stating that less is more? Is this realy the case? Secondly does anyone have advice on why I keep getting rejected at the application stage. I have only made it passed that stage once out of several applications.
    Perhaps I am not applying to the right firms but how do you know which firms are more likely to take you?

I don't buy the less is more idea. Copying this post I wrote a little while back:

I think it's hard to put a number on as it depends on your availability to write applications. If you had absolutely nothing to do bar writing applications, I'd say write as many as you can (15+). Not everyone is in that position, however, especially if you can only write applications in the evening/on weekends. In that case, 5-10 is a good amount.

Push yourself to write applications as you can. As much as I give advice about maximising the strength of your applications, it is still very challenging to convert an application to an interview and then an interview to a training contract, so by applying to more firms, you significantly increase your likelihood of securing a training contract. That said, I also think it's important to carve out time for yourself and give yourself lots of breaks. Many candidates won't secure a training contract in the first cycle, in which case, those who work themselves too hard in one application cycle risk burning themselves out too quickly.

I try not to treat it as a trade-off between quantity and quality. Applications should always be of a very high standard and it's rarely worth sacrificing that (unless it's genuinely taking you weeks for every application or it's close to the deadline). There is only one candidate I can think of who writes applications to such a high standard (but to the detriment of time) that I tell him he needs to force himself to spend less time on quality and more on quantity.

In terms of why you're getting rejected at the application stage, what are your grades like? Do you have any existing legal experience?

Amanda

Star Member
    Jan 2, 2019
    I don't buy the less is more idea. Copying this post I wrote a little while back:

I think it's hard to put a number on as it depends on your availability to write applications. If you had absolutely nothing to do bar writing applications, I'd say write as many as you can (15+). Not everyone is in that position, however, especially if you can only write applications in the evening/on weekends. In that case, 5-10 is a good amount.

Push yourself to write applications as you can. As much as I give advice about maximising the strength of your applications, it is still very challenging to convert an application to an interview and then an interview to a training contract, so by applying to more firms, you significantly increase your likelihood of securing a training contract. That said, I also think it's important to carve out time for yourself and give yourself lots of breaks. Many candidates won't secure a training contract in the first cycle, in which case, those who work themselves too hard in one application cycle risk burning themselves out too quickly.

I try not to treat it as a trade-off between quantity and quality. Applications should always be of a very high standard and it's rarely worth sacrificing that (unless it's genuinely taking you weeks for every application or it's close to the deadline). There is only one candidate I can think of who writes applications to such a high standard (but to the detriment of time) that I tell him he needs to force himself to spend less time on quality and more on quantity.

In terms of why you're getting rejected at the application stage, what are your grades like? Do you have any existing legal experience?
    Hi Jaysen - Thank you for your response. I am about to message you with my answers

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Hi all,

As the summer interview and application period is upon us again, I wanted to share a friendly PSA (especially for any newer TCLA members :))

There are several interview experiences submitted directly by candidates available in the 'Resources and Materials' tab in the forum, under the sub-headings 'Interview Experiences' and 'Interview Experiences 2018/19'. The direct links are:
    You can also find older threads and discussions (ie from previous cycles) by typing a particular firm's name in the search bar.

Wishing everyone the best of luck for their applications and upcoming interviews. :)

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    I have just received an invitation to complete a Watson-Glaser from one of my top firms. I am so happy to have passed the application stage on two of my six TC apps so far! I have the equivalent of C, E, E at A-level so I was worried that I was deluded in my quest to train at a city firm. Yay!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.