Hello from a Paralegal at the FCA

shazida26

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 4, 2021
Hi everyone,

My name is Shaz and I graduated law back in 2019 and since then have been a Paralegal at the Serious Fraud Office, Norton Rose Fulbright and presently at the Finacial Conduct Authority.

I was able to secure my first ever vacation scheme this year at a small US firm but didn't get the TC offer.(However not to upset by this as the firm seemed very toxic but it has made me realise the importance of finding a firm reflecting the right cultures).

I definitely am struggling to find a balance between preparing for applications and working full time. I feel like its a separate job in itself and have faced burnout from trying to keep up with the research, application questions, assessments and interviews.

I'd appreciate any tips from anyone who can relate!

Look forward to hearing any responses!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi everyone,

My name is Shaz and I graduated law back in 2019 and since then have been a Paralegal at the Serious Fraud Office, Norton Rose Fulbright and presently at the Finacial Conduct Authority.

I was able to secure my first ever vacation scheme this year at a small US firm but didn't get the TC offer.(However not to upset by this as the firm seemed very toxic but it has made me realise the importance of finding a firm reflecting the right cultures).

I definitely am struggling to find a balance between preparing for applications and working full time. I feel like its a separate job in itself and have faced burnout from trying to keep up with the research, application questions, assessments and interviews.

I'd appreciate any tips from anyone who can relate!

Look forward to hearing any responses!
Hi @shazida26!

You have such an interesting background! How have you found working at the FCA?

I completely agree with you- finding a firm that is the right cultural fit for you is super important as you'll be spending most of your waking hours working for the firm and it's crucial that you feel understood and appreciated at your workplace.

I found it really difficult to make applications while working/studying and I guess the trick (though I never mastered this 😅) lies in being consistent and intentional with the work you put into your applications, rather than focusing on the volume of work you're able to put in. So 30 minutes of deep work every day will actually be better than hours of unproductive work.

I'd also recommend using application review services, whether at TCLA or elsewhere, as this will help you reduce how much time you put into proofreading and give you pointed tips on how you can improve as well.

Wishing you the best!

Reactions: shazida26

shazida26

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 4, 2021
Hi @shazida26!

You have such an interesting background! How have you found working at the FCA?

I completely agree with you- finding a firm that is the right cultural fit for you is super important as you'll be spending most of your waking hours working for the firm and it's crucial that you feel understood and appreciated at your workplace.

I found it really difficult to make applications while working/studying and I guess the trick (though I never mastered this 😅) lies in being consistent and intentional with the work you put into your applications, rather than focusing on the volume of work you're able to put in. So 30 minutes of deep work every day will actually be better than hours of unproductive work.

I'd also recommend using application review services, whether at TCLA or elsewhere, as this will help you reduce how much time you put into proofreading and give you pointed tips on how you can improve as well.

Wishing you the best!
Hi Avni!,

apologies for getting back to you (still figuring out how TCLA works says alot about me being a dinosour!)

its been great at the FCA, work balance wise they do encourage everyone to log off at 5pm and hardly ever push you to do a minute longer, although there have been occasions where I have worked through the weekend (for Upper Tribunal deadlines). I really appreciate the time and effort you've taken to respond, especially with such insightful advice.

consistency is definitely key and I've been trying to find a set time either first thing in the morning or after work, I am still figuring it out. Thank you for also recommending the TCLA review- I actually have sent off my Bakers application to be reviewed.

thank you for your advice and best wishes! (they are definitely needed and appreciated!)

look forward to staying in touch!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi Avni!,

apologies for getting back to you (still figuring out how TCLA works says alot about me being a dinosour!)

its been great at the FCA, work balance wise they do encourage everyone to log off at 5pm and hardly ever push you to do a minute longer, although there have been occasions where I have worked through the weekend (for Upper Tribunal deadlines). I really appreciate the time and effort you've taken to respond, especially with such insightful advice.

consistency is definitely key and I've been trying to find a set time either first thing in the morning or after work, I am still figuring it out. Thank you for also recommending the TCLA review- I actually have sent off my Bakers application to be reviewed.

thank you for your advice and best wishes! (they are definitely needed and appreciated!)

look forward to staying in touch!
Very happy to hear that your time at the FCA has been really good for you- especially pleased about the fact that they encourage a good work-life balance.

I think you're on the right track with working on apps either in the morning or after work- I guess finding a set time will depend on the time of day that your energy and motivation levels allow for you to do both your full-time job and app work.

Galt to hear you used the review service- I hope you're pleased with it! 😊

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.