Help buying/choosing professional clothing (especially for women)

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 6
Nov 9, 2020
Hello!

As VSs might potentially be in person this summer, I’ve realised I desperately need to update my wardrobe.

Does anyone have recommendations for good places to buy office-wear clothing, particularly for women? I know Zara, H&M and M&S can be decent low-cost high-street options but I worry that the quality won’t be as good? Is this something that other people notice as well (just bc I’ve heard of stories of people judging others for not wearing a tailored designer suit lol)?

Also what is appropriate clothing generally for the office? I feel like it’s harder for women because although there’s more choice, there’s also potentially more ways to go wrong! Are coloured suits/shirts acceptable? Boucle jackets? A nice midi dress? What is too casual? I feel as though I’ve seen a mix of those amongst professionals but at the same time have also seen a lot more formal attire…

Previous internships I’ve experienced were a lot more informal in comparison to commercial law!

It would be so great and helpful to hear suggestions - I’m someone who enjoys fashion/dressing nicely but I’ve never really shopped properly for professional clothing (as you can likely tell)!

Thanks so much in advance! :)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I'm not a female (did the beard give it away?) but my better half is and she's got loads of smart-wear! It's like anything really, really does depend how much you're looking to spend as you can get stuff at all different levels of the market - same goes for men's tailored gear.

Next and M&S are both staples for her, although she says that Next fits pretty small, good enough quality without breaking the bank. She's also bought bits and bobs from Dorothy Perkins, TopShop etc (RIP), and it's all decent enough and pretty accessible. John Lewis would be in a similar category, and TK Maxx can also be great but hit or miss.
    If you're working on a tighter budget, places like Primark can be decent enough for a scheme or two, though the longevity factor obviously won't be there. If you've got a bit of cash to throw at it or are buying for the longer term, her favourites are Hobbs, LK Bennett, and Jaeger (which have all cost me a fair bit of money of the last few years...). You've also got more designer brands like Ted Baker/ CK etc that so smart-wear.

I personally buy suits from Hawes & Curtis primarily but also Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin, all of whom do (albeit somewhat limited) womens' ranges. If the quality and finish of the menswear is anything to go by, their womens' ranges will be good too! For perspective, a suit from them costs me anywhere from £300 to £600 which is mid-high market (the dream is a couple of outfits from Hunstman of Saville Row but I'm not dropping £2.5k on a suit yet!!).

Hope this helps some!

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Hi @AspiringSol !

Most of my tips are far easier for when shops reopen, but as that should hopefully be before summer vac schemes...

One thing I'll add is that London can get super hot in the summer, however law firms usually blast the air-conditioning in my experience--so get something that works in both temperatures! Last thing you want is to feel super uncomfortable. Always have flats in your bag, multiple pairs of spare tights. And prioritise the combo of smart plus comfortable, as ultimately your clothing is there to do a job.

If you're on a tight budget you can do wonders with charity shops if you go to the right areas in London and you have the odd free weekend--think anywhere rich, in the City or where people who would live there work. I got Gerry Weber blazers for £5 and LK Bennet pumps/heels for around the same (also lots of TM Lewin, Hobbs and Jaegar), they will also have lots of corporate-appropriate dresses too. I'm a total cheapskate so I actually got a lot of my work wardrobe that way! Most important thing is that the items are decent quality, fit well and comfortable--if you're looking for stuff that's going to last that can be a great approach. Also great to sit in a meeting in a £200 jacket knowing you actually spent £15 😁

M&S is good for workwear--some of their dresses have proven so practical that I just wear them nonstop. Rarely exciting though! My top tip--if you're confident in hemming, they often reduce the mumsy below the knee corporate dresses to like £5, but with 10 minutes and a sewing machine they look fab!

Hobbs is FAB and my total weakness (and they have great sales at the moment), BUT always remember that a lot of female colleagues will wear their stuff too. So if you get a fancy jacket always keep a spare in the office, the last thing you want it to wear the same one as someone senior in a meeting!

You can also get some nice dresses in Cos--a lot of their design are really out there but some are fine for the office. I also got a lot of office wear in Monsoon, they also have great sales.

My general approach is to do a nice fairly corporate knee-length dress and have a jacket at an option to add, so not to be worn at the desk but can be put on for meetings. I wouldn't do a longer dress as it's more "lounge suit" than corporate, but can be fine maybe at times in the summer in a more causal vibe? Smart trousers and shirt also look good (not on me though 😁). Would generally try to stick with plain (e.g. black/navy) with addition of one colour or pattern at a time--e.g. I think for most firms a boucle jacket is fine if over say a black dress with tights and black shoes, but if I was wearing a corporate-appropriate patterned dress I would pair with a plain jacket. Also can add a lot of fun very subtly through jewellery, if you feel you're looking a bit dull.

Also LK Bennet shoes are FAB--if I see them going anywhere I always snap them up. RIP. A very senior female consultant in a bathroom once told me she buys all her shoes there and bought a decade's worth when they started to close 😁

I tend to dress a bit more jazzy than most people but personally just can't bring myself to do the all black suit vibe, just not me! I think if you do it well and own it, it radiates confidence and suggests that you're not the Starbucks intern.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Lots of great recommendations here, just want to add that I love Uniqlo! They've got some nice plain flow-y tops that look great tucked into pencil skirts or smart trousers. I also do wear lots of midi dresses (more comfortable and airy for summer imo), some with patterns and its always fit right in with what everyone else is wearing.

If you're feeling overwhelmed by choice, I'd recommend buying one blazer, one pair of smart trousers, one skirt (all black so its easier to match with tops), maybe three or four tops, and one or two dresses? That's basically all the workwear I have actually. It's about a week's worth of clothes and honestly that's all you need anyway - we can't all be wearing something new everyday for two weeks (chances are you're going to see your supervisor wear the same things too!)

Edit: Two of my all time favourite go to interview dresses are from Banana Republic. They fit so well and look more expensive than they actually were (although they were kind of up there in price anyway), so if you're looking for that one really smart dress for interviews, try them too!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I literally relied on H&M for my work attire throughout my career in law firms.

I don't really think "quality" is seen really as long as the attire is clean and not looking tired/worn out.

The general rules for women are nothing too short in skirt length, low cut, or tight. The more combinations of those you have the more risk you take at being looked down upon. I have had too many interns wear bodycon style dresses (the type you would wear on a night out) assuming a blazer over the top will be enough to dress it up professionally.

Generally the rule is also to wear tights with skirts too. For some reason firms tend to have a thing against completely bare legs (which I never understood). I'd also generally recommend wearing enclosed shoes rather than sandles or peep toe shoes - sling backs can be ok. Make sure you hair is tidy and your make up and jewellery isn't too over the top.

By the way, this isn't my personal view at all on dress codes, as I was someone who tended to hate them and even got a high heel warning written into my appraisal once that p*ssed me off.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Do you think it is better to wear heels rather than flats when starting your TC? If so, does anyone have any recommendations on somewhere to buy comfortable heels. Thanks!

So I obviously haven't started my TC yet, but I'd probably only wear heels for client meetings etc. and even then I'd wear very low barely there heels. Otherwise I'd stick to flats and during my one in person vac scheme always kept flats under my desk anyway. I got my heels at Clarks, and I know they can be pricey but they're very comfortable and like I said super low heeled which I love. I also tend to think good shoes are always worth spending money on especially if it's going to be everyday wear!

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Do you think it is better to wear heels rather than flats when starting your TC? If so, does anyone have any recommendations on somewhere to buy comfortable heels. Thanks!
    Lowish black pump-style block heels are amazing—massively comfy but give you that little height boost. I got mine from LK Bennett but M&S tends to have something similar. I also got standard heels from M&S that were specially designed to be super comfy, they have a sort of gel pad underfoot. I definitely wouldn’t get cheap heels normally as they can be very uncomfortable, M&S are the cheapest I have found that have the comfort factor.

I don’t think it’s necessary to wear heels, and definitely not all the time, but how much you want to may depend on your height. I’m very short so comfy heels are helpful for meetings but I definitely wouldn’t wear them all day.

Reactions: Alison C

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    On this topic, what would be acceptable for summer? I'm thinking I might need to get a sleeveless top (not spaghetti strap, obviously), but I'm worried about showing shoulders.

Sleeveless is fine! I wore loads of them and you will see trainee buddies/supervisors wearing them too. I always brought my blazer to work anyway in case of meetings, but if it gets hot while you're at your desk or at presentations completely fine to go without.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Completely a personal choice. No one will care if you are wearing flats as long as they are smart shoes (eg no ballet pump type shoes).

If you do go high, the issue seems to be more with platform based high heels (eg platform sole + stiletto) which have more of a reputation to them (that’s where I always went wrong 😂). But the main thing is about being comfortable and being able to walk well in then. Trying to stumble around an office in heels is not a great idea!

I lived in 4-5 inch heels, and when one of my previous firms told me not to wear as high heels, I used to walk to work in very high heels and then change into my “lower” heels when I got to the office.

• Wow
    Reactions: cc800, Alison C and Holly

botticelli

Feb 14, 2021
    I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm having trouble working out what to wear on my virtual vacation scheme -- any tips for how to look smart when people can only see your head and shoulders?? I'm thinking blazers with a blouse underneath but don't want to look too samey everyday. Would a smart blouse on its own work too?

Reactions: Alison C

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm having trouble working out what to wear on my virtual vacation scheme -- any tips for how to look smart when people can only see your head and shoulders?? I'm thinking blazers with a blouse underneath but don't want to look too samey everyday. Would a smart blouse on its own work too?
    Yes a smart blouse will be fine.

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hello!

As VSs might potentially be in person this summer, I’ve realised I desperately need to update my wardrobe.

Does anyone have recommendations for good places to buy office-wear clothing, particularly for women? I know Zara, H&M and M&S can be decent low-cost high-street options but I worry that the quality won’t be as good? Is this something that other people notice as well (just bc I’ve heard of stories of people judging others for not wearing a tailored designer suit lol)?

Also what is appropriate clothing generally for the office? I feel like it’s harder for women because although there’s more choice, there’s also potentially more ways to go wrong! Are coloured suits/shirts acceptable? Boucle jackets? A nice midi dress? What is too casual? I feel as though I’ve seen a mix of those amongst professionals but at the same time have also seen a lot more formal attire…

Previous internships I’ve experienced were a lot more informal in comparison to commercial law!

It would be so great and helpful to hear suggestions - I’m someone who enjoys fashion/dressing nicely but I’ve never really shopped properly for professional clothing (as you can likely tell)!

Thanks so much in advance! :)

I am a career changer from a low-paid industry with limited wardrobe requirements (think Mickey Mouse T-shirts, Converse and many frumpy colleagues) but I have also worked in luxury brands. It's fantastic that you are thinking 'buy once buy well'. The general idea is to think of '30 wears' as the number to aim for as a minimum. BUT there is also a difference between buying to keep yourself confident in a vac scheme/interview and investing in a good wardrobe over time. It need not be expensive but it's difficult to do overnight. So prioritising a few basics as suggested above is exactly right. Yes to your bouclé jacket, midi dress etc, as long as you like them.

The point about dressing well is that, arguably, it reflects how you approach your work. Dressing with care and making the most of yourself shows that you are ready to make an effort to be put together and polished. There is a difference between cheap (tacky, poorly made) and inexpensive. Buying designer does not guarantee you will look good!

Some High Street stores are working really hard to have a more transparent supply chain. But it's also good to experiment with other budget-friendly solutions.

1 - my top tip remains eBay. The most worn piece I own is a black Moschino blazer with satin lapels that I have had for maybe 10 years, bought used from eBay (c£35). It's incredibly durable and is instantly smarter than a floppy cardigan. But I've also got tops from Zara that I've had for years, that wash really well and have been looked after. My finest lockdown scores have been a black Max Mara lightweight wool suit for £30 and a Prada cotton navy suit for £20. I know my size in those brands, I use the sniping tool Auctionstealer which saves any stress about paying too much: you literally put in your max price, say a random £43.26, and it bids for you. Great tailoring brands when you get your mojo include Armani, Cerutti, Max Mara - you don't need to pay. But equally, these aren't necessary, and it can be risky when you are new to the game.

When buying vintage there are clear rules - don't buy anything stained; or with buttons missing (check again on arrival); ensure the seller has great feedback and responds when you write for measurement; go for classic shapes (single-breasted suits, for example). eBay is great for High Street brands with strong tailoring like Mango, Me + Em, Zara, Reiss, Whistles and M&S.

The other way to go on eBay is higher-end. DVF wrap dresses are a favourite of mine: they are usually made from silk jersey, so stretchy and great all year, and they are really flattering. I'd expect to pay maybe £30-£55 depending on the print. DVF wrap tops are also brilliant: you can wear them over a Uniqlo thermal polo neck in winter. I did buy a travel steamer as I'm a fan of a well-cut white shirt, but I'm not keen on ironing.

2 - use accessories to work with what you have! Missoni scarves can jazz the simplest of looks up (Zoom too!) and change the mood completely. You can also find vintage silk scarves like Dior, Oscar de la Renta and YSL in fantastic colours for very little - say £5-15 or in a job lot so you can give some to friends. You can experiment at home - no one wants to look froufrou, but a bit of colour and texture can work wonders.

3 - sample sales! They used to be the one-off samples made by the designers to see if the products worked or needed adjustment. These days it's just last season's stock. Chicmi is a good platform, as are Showcase, The Music Room and My Little Bird. Yoox and The Outnet are outlets for the Net-a-Porter group. You can save items to your wishlist if you aren't feeling flush or want to reflect. You can find beautiful pieces at a fraction of the original retail cost.

4 - general sales. Fenwick is amazing; Selfridges can be (less so online) and John Lewis carries some really budget-friendly brands with panache. Look at Boden, Max Mara, Massimo Dutti and high street brands as above.

5 - charity shops - as someone said earlier. You will get to know your local ones. Oxfam has turned this into a fine art so in West London, they have a dedicated designer Oxfam, and similar online. There there will be a bonanza in the autumn, lots of spring cleaning having been done over lockdown.

6 - find a great tailor. Your dry cleaner can take up and let down hems for a very small amount, though taking in a dress or lined blazer is more skilled. What @HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh says about M&S end of sale dresses is great advice

7 - Overall, you can go a very long way with a few simple pieces that just fit you well. Sick with neutral block colours for your main pieces, like navy, brown or black, and add colour with a top, or a scarf. Get a Topshop or M&S blazer that fits you and upgrade later when you're ready to move on. @Dheepa's list is ideal (you really only need a few options) - also consider a sleeveless tailored blazer for summer.

8 - For general styling, it can be helpful is to generate adjectives you are hoping to project: elegant, smart, structured, understated, that kind of thing. In fashion, 'edgy' is great but not so much in law - though no one wants to be 'flashy' 'staid' or 'mumsy'. If you aren't sure about a piece, see if it fits those adjectives and if not, move on. It's also fun to find an older, professional style icon and think, would (say, your glamorous aunty/Gina Miller/Rachel Weisz/Emma Watson/whoever) wear this for work? How can you emulate those clean lines? Definitely not too much flesh on show. Wider trousers and longer skirts are easier to move in. Black opaque tights hide a multitude of sins.

9 - Regarding shoes, comfort and fit are key. No one will care that you aren't wearing heels but if you are distracted by painful feet, that's unhelpful and unprofessional. Loafers are versatile and structured? Stick to closed toes eg slingbacks in summer. Russell & Bromley (in the sale), M&S, Office and Dune have some great styles (and I think Office have a student discount). It's better to get one great pair to wear for years that make you feel like a real lawyer than several uncomfortable pairs that are too high and poorly fitting and look like you borrowed them. (I've always loved shoes... Clergerie, Nicholas Kirkwood, Charlotte Olympia...)

10 - be your own 'judge'. Don't worry about being judged. If you have dressed with care and thought, in clothes that fit you and reflect who you are albeit in a toned-down form, you will feel confident and good about yourself. And if they are really going to take this to the wire, as with @Jessica Booker's shoe debacle, then you don't want to work for them anyway.

Last edited:

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Lots of great recommendations here, just want to add that I love Uniqlo! They've got some nice plain flow-y tops that look great tucked into pencil skirts or smart trousers. I also do wear lots of midi dresses (more comfortable and airy for summer imo), some with patterns and its always fit right in with what everyone else is wearing.

If you're feeling overwhelmed by choice, I'd recommend buying one blazer, one pair of smart trousers, one skirt (all black so its easier to match with tops), maybe three or four tops, and one or two dresses? That's basically all the workwear I have actually. It's about a week's worth of clothes and honestly that's all you need anyway - we can't all be wearing something new everyday for two weeks (chances are you're going to see your supervisor wear the same things too!)

Edit: Two of my all time favourite go to interview dresses are from Banana Republic. They fit so well and look more expensive than they actually were (although they were kind of up there in price anyway), so if you're looking for that one really smart dress for interviews, try them too!
    This is so true. All of it. I got a couple of Banana Republic tops when they did a collaboration with Issa and they are still going strong. I'm not sure if they've pulled out of Britain now but they will be on eBay.

Reactions: Dheepa

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Completely a personal choice. No one will care if you are wearing flats as long as they are smart shoes (eg no ballet pump type shoes).

If you do go high, the issue seems to be more with platform based high heels (eg platform sole + stiletto) which have more of a reputation to them (that’s where I always went wrong 😂). But the main thing is about being comfortable and being able to walk well in then. Trying to stumble around an office in heels is not a great idea!

I lived in 4-5 inch heels, and when one of my previous firms told me not to wear as high heels, I used to walk to work in very high heels and then change into my “lower” heels when I got to the office.
    5 inch heels! I am full of admiration. From a few storeys below, by the sounds of things!

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    I literally relied on H&M for my work attire throughout my career in law firms.

I don't really think "quality" is seen really as long as the attire is clean and not looking tired/worn out.

The general rules for women are nothing too short in skirt length, low cut, or tight. The more combinations of those you have the more risk you take at being looked down upon. I have had too many interns wear bodycon style dresses (the type you would wear on a night out) assuming a blazer over the top will be enough to dress it up professionally.

Generally the rule is also to wear tights with skirts too. For some reason firms tend to have a thing against completely bare legs (which I never understood). I'd also generally recommend wearing enclosed shoes rather than sandles or peep toe shoes - sling backs can be ok. Make sure you hair is tidy and your make up and jewellery isn't too over the top.

By the way, this isn't my personal view at all on dress codes, as I was someone who tended to hate them and even got a high heel warning written into my appraisal once that p*ssed me off.
    Congratulations on the fashion warning. Kudos, really. As it was clearly affecting your job performance (not...).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Congratulations on the fashion warning. Kudos, really. As it was clearly affecting your job performance (not...).
    I made it my mission to make a point of complimenting any female partners shoes that were equally as high whenever I saw them. The difference was my shoes were probably £60-70 worth and theirs were at least ten times the amount. And that hypocrisy was what annoyed me more than anything...

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    I made it my mission to make a point of complimenting any female partners shoes that were equally as high whenever I saw them. The difference was my shoes were probably £60-70 worth and theirs were at least ten times the amount. And that hypocrisy was what annoyed me more than anything...
    I bet! Good for you for moving on from that toxic environment. And nobody but nobody needs to be spending £600 on a pair of shoes for work. It shows a complete lack of imagination.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dheepa

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I'd just add to this advice - albeit only from male experience - that something off the rack (blazers/trousers etc) can still be altered nicely and cheaply to fit you slightly better. Most standard alterations aren't particularly expensive for any tailor to do - stuff like taking in the waist, shortening trousers, shortening blazer sleeves etc. It certainly makes suits/blazers look a lot nicer.
    Totally agree! It's amazing how much better a tailored £100 suit can look than a £1000+ Armani suit that isn't tailored - if you're gonna spend money on suits, 100% much better to spend it on alterations rather than an expensive designer brand in my opinion

Reactions: newtothis and Alison C

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.