Help needed: application questions about a firm's clients...

Jasmin1777

Standard Member
Dec 20, 2019
Considering a lot of the information about a law firm's clients is not in the public domain, why do law firms ask application questions about them? I am really struggling to answer an 800 word application question about which client I would most like to work with if I were a trainee at the firm... even after much googling I am still struggling to find a client worthy of 800 words. Also, as I am applying to a regional office - I am keen to select a client I would actually be working with rather than showing a lack of knowledge by selecting a client in an area of law that the Northern office doesn't even work in.

Reactions: Serah O

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Considering a lot of the information about a law firm's clients is not in the public domain, why do law firms ask application questions about them? I am really struggling to answer an 800 word application question about which client I would most like to work with if I were a trainee at the firm... even after much googling I am still struggling to find a client worthy of 800 words. Also, as I am applying to a regional office - I am keen to select a client I would actually be working with rather than showing a lack of knowledge by selecting a client in an area of law that the Northern office doesn't even work in.

I've never seen an 800-word question like that - sounds quite specific to the regional firm! Your best bet is to use the firm's website to find a client and then go through the associated articles/press releases. When answering the question, it's an opportunity to show your interest in commercial law as well as your commercial understanding. You might find it helpful to ask yourself questions: What deals has that client undertaken and why is that interesting to you? What is interesting about the sector the client works in? Why would the role of a trainee lawyer be interesting here - what would it expose you to?

• 🏆
    Reactions: Jasmin1777

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Is this WBD? I’d consider, as Jaysen says, what client works in a field you’re interested in? It helps to go beyond the law firm here and really dig into your chosen company’s expertise/line of work/sector.

If you’re struggling to find a client, firstly check out websites like Chambers student for the firm’s main clients. You could also use Legal 500!

Jasmin1777

Standard Member
    Dec 20, 2019
    Is this WBD? I’d consider, as Jaysen says, what client works in a field you’re interested in? It helps to go beyond the law firm here and really dig into your chosen company’s expertise/line of work/sector.

If you’re struggling to find a client, firstly check out websites like Chambers student for the firm’s main clients. You could also use Legal 500!

Yes it's WBD - I can find a few clients but it is difficult to check whether they will be applicable to the Newcastle office other than making sure they have that department in the Newcastle office. Thank you!

Reactions: Lumree

Changes

Legendary Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    See if any of their clients are HQ’d in the north east that wouldn’t be covered by another office? Do any of the articles about deals talk about which offices/teams were involved?

It might be worth giving HR a call, it may be that they’re not expecting you to choose a client that’s definitely covered by the specific office, especially if that info isn’t readily available.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.