help! Paralegal - can i take time off for vac schemes / assessment days?!?

Laura Hiled

Jan 26, 2019
Hi all, i was wondering if anyone can give me some (relatively urgent) advice.!!

I have been offered an interview for a paralegal position (11 month contract). I am worried because if i apply for VSs ( winter and spring) or have assessment days, i am not sure if i would be allowed to take unpaid time off? has anyone had any experience with this? (first i would use my 25 day holiday time, but if i had none left over)

I am panicking because i don't know what to do, but because it is only an interview i don't want to ask the recruiter as i don't want to lose the opportunity.

thanks so much for help!

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Just go for the interview and cross that bridge at a later date. You will find that you can use holiday and later when you have your feet under the table in the paralegal role you can say that you've been offered a VS - don't panic beforehand - if you do you will never take a job while waiting for a VS or TC - believe me!! This is such a long process and you cannot afford to miss an opportunity of getting experience now. You may find that they will ask you if you are applying for a TC in the interview and that's up to you how you play that card. You could simply say that ultimately you want a career in law and that you are looking to get some experience in the interim. Keep it brief and concentrate on the interview.

Yee Rou Quah

Star Member
Future Trainee
Apr 2, 2018
I used to take days off for interviews and assessment days as well as vac schemes. I didn't tell my supervisor that I was interviewing elseswhere though, mainly because I was also applying for a TC at the firm I paralegalled at. Usually they won't ask more if you keep it vague. Don't worry before you have to cross that bridge!

Reactions: Laura Hiled

Laura Hiled

Jan 26, 2019
thanks SO much everyone! i really appreciate it, that is so reassuring! the firm is an investment bank with an in-house legal team, which is why i was slightly more worried about the VS thing, because i assume law firms are more understanding

Laura Hiled

Jan 26, 2019
Just go for the interview and cross that bridge at a later date. You will find that you can use holiday and later when you have your feet under the table in the paralegal role you can say that you've been offered a VS - don't panic beforehand - if you do you will never take a job while waiting for a VS or TC - believe me!! This is such a long process and you cannot afford to miss an opportunity of getting experience now. You may find that they will ask you if you are applying for a TC in the interview and that's up to you how you play that card. You could simply say that ultimately you want a career in law and that you are looking to get some experience in the interim. Keep it brief and concentrate on the interview.
thanks so so much for the quick response. Yes that is what i thought, TC is definitely my priority, but this para legal job is a brilliant opportunity for me.

Laura Hiled

Jan 26, 2019
Depends very much on the firm. I was able to take the time off for mine but was on a much shorter contract. Ultimatley your Vac Scheme should be prioritised over your paralegal role and I'm sure most companies will appreciate that.
thanks so much for the response! it is an in-house legal team in an investment bank which is why i am more sceptical!

Laura Hiled

Jan 26, 2019
I used to take days off for interviews and assessment days as well as vac schemes. I didn't tell my supervisor that I was interviewing elseswhere though, mainly because I was also applying for a TC at the firm I paralegalled at. Usually they won't ask more if you keep it vague. Don't worry before you have to cross that bridge!
thanks a lot! oh right, did you take holiday time then?

S

Star Member
Apr 27, 2018
I was in your position v recently. I don’t think your supervisors should mind if you have interviews for vac schemes and TCs as that is the ultimate goal. So they should be happy for you. I always took time off when I had interviews and my supervisors were v supportive and would even help me with prep. So deffs don’t worry about taking time off for interviews!! When I interviewed initially for the paralegal job I had they asked me about my future plans as well and I said that I will be applying for TCs so they were aware.

Reactions: Laura Hiled

Laura Hiled

Jan 26, 2019
I was in your position v recently. I don’t think your supervisors should mind if you have interviews for vac schemes and TCs as that is the ultimate goal. So they should be happy for you. I always took time off when I had interviews and my supervisors were v supportive and would even help me with prep. So deffs don’t worry about taking time off for interviews!! When I interviewed initially for the paralegal job I had they asked me about my future plans as well and I said that I will be applying for TCs so they were aware.
thanks so so much! this has been very helpful and reassuring! don't feel like i am making a stab in the dark now:D

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.