Help - Submitting work experience after deadline?

18moorema2

Premium Member
Oct 22, 2023
Really keen to get some advice on this issue I've had with one of my applications.

Submitted an application before the midnight deadline for a VS (non-rolling application). Re-read through the application after submitting and everything's on there perfectly except for the work experience section - all but two of my work experiences are missing. I am certain I inputted this info but it's not there, I don't know if this is because of a technical error or because I didn't save it, I don't remember. I've had issues before with other applications where I have pressed save and it hasn't gone through. Point is 6 work experiences are missing from this form.

Luckily I notice that the application form in question allows you to add additional info past the submission and deadline (only to the qualifications and work experience sections, not for long answer questions) and of course I have drafted my whole application in the format of the form in a google doc so all I do is copy and paste it into this 'additional information for work experience' and submit it. I did this right away (middle of the night at this point) to avoid any impression I was 'buying myself time' to write more of my application past the deadline. Also immediately sent an email to graduate recruitment explaining the situation.

Now have checked again this 'additional info' I have submitted and it's all in one huge unreadable block of text instead of how I submitted it, with double line spaces between experiences. There was zero option to preview the formatting before submitting it. Of course don't know if that's how it appears on their end, but it does on mine.

So have sent ANOTHER email to graduate recruitment re-explaining the situation, attaching a correctly formatted pdf summary of my work experience. All exactly the same info as on my application form, just actually readable. Additionally made sure to give my sincere apologies for any confusion, I hope my application can still be considered in light of these genuine technical issues etc etc.

Just still very worried my application will get binned due to poor formatting and with the multiple emails making me appear disorganised. I can understand that from a recruiter's perspective, seeing one application with weird unreadable formatting when they have 100s to get through doesn't work in my favour. All I can hope is that my email is seen before they get to my application so that a readable version of my form is on hand right away.

Any advice at all? Just very frustrated with myself as this was one of my top firms :(

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Unfortunately I don’t think you can do any more. You have contacted graduate recruitment with the information and it is on your application form. You can’t do anything else in this situation, and so I don’t think it is worthwhile focusing on this now.

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.