Help with TLT Vac Scheme questions?

WannaLaw99

• Jan 8, 2023
    Hi everyone,

I'm a little lost in regards to approaching one of TLT's vacation scheme questions. I'd be so grateful if you could give any tips in regards to responding to the following:

"Please choose an organisation that you admire in the current market. Why are they successful? What can TLT learn from this organisation?"
    It seems a little random😅 Could I literally pick any business out there? Like ASDA, or River Island lol? Or should I be thinking of other Law Firms?

They also ask "What recent work in one of our sectors interests you and why?" I've been trawling the website and I'm not finding any deals. I'm seeing more internal-facing announcments, eg awards the firm has won. Should I be going through their social media instead?

Sorry if these sound like basic questions, but I feel like I'm stumbling in the dark here :/

Thanks in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I'm a little lost in regards to approaching one of TLT's vacation scheme questions. I'd be so grateful if you could give any tips in regards to responding to the following:

"Please choose an organisation that you admire in the current market. Why are they successful? What can TLT learn from this organisation?"
    It seems a little random😅 Could I literally pick any business out there? Like ASDA, or River Island lol? Or should I be thinking of other Law Firms?

They also ask "What recent work in one of our sectors interests you and why?" I've been trawling the website and I'm not finding any deals. I'm seeing more internal-facing announcments, eg awards the firm has won. Should I be going through their social media instead?

Sorry if these sound like basic questions, but I feel like I'm stumbling in the dark here :/

Thanks in advance!
    For the first question: Yes - any business works. I have seen a real variety for these type of questions. It doesn’t have to be a law firm. It literally can be any organisation you identify as being successful and are able to explain what TLT can learn from that organisation.

For the second question: it doesn’t have to be a deal, it can be any legal work. It needs to have a tie to you and your interests. You may want to look at Legal 500 to find matters the firm has recently worked on under their “highlights” heading under each area they are ranked for. That may help you identify the topic/work and then further research can be done from there

WannaLaw99

• Jan 8, 2023
    For the first question: Yes - any business works. I have seen a real variety for these type of questions. It doesn’t have to be a law firm. It literally can be any organisation you identify as being successful and are able to explain what TLT can learn from that organisation.

For the second question: it doesn’t have to be a deal, it can be any legal work. It needs to have a tie to you and your interests. You may want to look at Legal 500 to find matters the firm has recently worked on under their “highlights” heading under each area they are ranked for. That may help you identify the topic/work and then further research can be done from there

@Jessica Booker Thank you so much for the reply! I've only just seen this.

Quick question- generally, when are the deadlines? TLT says the deadline is December 10th, but does that mean I can still submit my app tomorrow, or it needs to be gone tonight? I got burned by DLA Piper before (in terms of misunderstanding the deadline) hahaha

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Thank you so much for the reply! I've only just seen this.

Quick question- generally, when are the deadlines? TLT says the deadline is December 10th, but does that mean I can still submit my app tomorrow, or it needs to be gone tonight? I got burned by DLA Piper before (in terms of misunderstanding the deadline) hahaha
    99% of the times, it means the the day of the deadline.

For some firms that might mean 5.30pm or 6.00pm in the evening (when their office closes), but in the vast majority of cases, it will mean 23.59

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.