Hogan Lovells application question (personal achievement)

B1806

Distinguished Member
Dec 31, 2019
I'm applying for HL BaSE Legal Learning Hub and I've come across a question asking me about a notable personal achievement. I'm highly torn on what I should use for this. There are three major things I did over the past few years that I think are all good for their own unique reasons, but simultaneously also have their respective downsides. They are as follows:

1. Months of research, co-ordination and writing to finally produce a report featuring quantitative analysis of certain regulatory data for a number of financial institutions, which I then co-presented to two executives (including the CEO) at a quite large fintech startup. This involved sifting through a lot of disclosures, doing a lot of other research and doing some number-crunching. The end-product was great and the startup was very happy with it.

Pro:
Quantitative, quantifiable and financial. It overlaps somewhat with what the firm does and is the longest and most complex of the three. This was, on a personal level, also my favourite experience and the one that I'm most inclined to use here.

Con:
Too impersonal. It might come across as trying too hard to sound professional at a stage when I'm obviously not. I also really feel like they want something more "human" as it were.

2. A month or so of preparing and researching for an event with an associate from a major law firm (not HL) and a very senior figure at a large fintech company.

Pro:
Quantifiable (event attendance, timeframe, etc.) and focused somewhat on an area that is interesting to the firm. I was quite proud of this one as well.

Con:
At the end of the day, it's just one event and in terms of scale not the most groundbreaking one at that. It's not like I prepared a massive conference or something. About 60-70 people ended up coming (which I think is a pretty good number, esp considering the time of year this was held during) and it lasted about two hours.

3. A student journal I launched back in high school (outside the UK) and managed for a year (editorial, recruiting, co-ordinating writer meetings, etc.)

Pro: Feels the most "human" and personal.

Con: Too old and too low-level. Everyone has one of these experiences I'm fairly sure. I get that it's all about "how I sell myself", but I really feel that there'd be no way to sell this compared to some really damn impressive things I'm sure most other candidates have done. I feel like the previous two examples would be way better to use here.

What should I go with here? Which of these three sound most like an appropriate answer? Note that all three had a personal impact on me and I was quite proud of each of them.

Thank you!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I'm applying for HL BaSE Legal Learning Hub and I've come across a question asking me about a notable personal achievement. I'm highly torn on what I should use for this. There are three major things I did over the past few years that I think are all good for their own unique reasons, but simultaneously also have their respective downsides. They are as follows:

1. Months of research, co-ordination and writing to finally produce a report featuring quantitative analysis of certain regulatory data for a number of financial institutions, which I then co-presented to two executives (including the CEO) at a quite large fintech startup. This involved sifting through a lot of disclosures, doing a lot of other research and doing some number-crunching. The end-product was great and the startup was very happy with it.

Pro:
    Quantitative, quantifiable and financial. It overlaps somewhat with what the firm does and is the longest and most complex of the three. This was, on a personal level, also my favourite experience and the one that I'm most inclined to use here.

Con:
    Too impersonal. It might come across as trying too hard to sound professional at a stage when I'm obviously not. I also really feel like they want something more "human" as it were.

2. A month or so of preparing and researching for an event with an associate from a major law firm (not HL) and a very senior figure at a large fintech company.

Pro:
    Quantifiable (event attendance, timeframe, etc.) and focused somewhat on an area that is interesting to the firm. I was quite proud of this one as well.

Con:
    At the end of the day, it's just one event and in terms of scale not the most groundbreaking one at that. It's not like I prepared a massive conference or something. About 60-70 people ended up coming (which I think is a pretty good number, esp considering the time of year this was held during) and it lasted about two hours.

3. A student journal I launched back in high school (outside the UK) and managed for a year (editorial, recruiting, co-ordinating writer meetings, etc.)

Pro: Feels the most "human" and personal.

Con: Too old and too low-level. Everyone has one of these experiences I'm fairly sure. I get that it's all about "how I sell myself", but I really feel that there'd be no way to sell this compared to some really damn impressive things I'm sure most other candidates have done. I feel like the previous two examples would be way better to use here.

What should I go with here? Which of these three sound most like an appropriate answer? Note that all three had a personal impact on me and I was quite proud of each of them.

Thank you!

First one sounds great to me. You sound the most passionate about this one.

I'd always go for what matters to you the most, rather than trying to pick the 'correct' one for a law firm. I almost always find that answers written to impress don't end up being particularly impressive.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

B1806

Distinguished Member
    Dec 31, 2019
    First one sounds great to me. You sound the most passionate about this one.

I'd always go for what matters to you the most, rather than trying to pick the 'correct' one for a law firm. I almost always find that answers written to impress don't end up being particularly impressive.
    Thank you so much, I was heavily leaning towards that so that answer's very reassuring! :D

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.