Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hogan Lovells Summer Vacation Scheme Assessment Centre - January 2020 - anonymous

The first part of the day is a Watson Glaser retake. I found this part generally alright. Just be confident! You passed it once to get here you’ll get through it again.

Next is 15 minutes to read over the case study (mine was on a joint venture) and to make notes answering two questions. I found this extremely challenging. The pressure definitely got the best of me, especially as you cannot take your notes into the partner interview where the case study will be discussed. I'd say to read up on joint ventures and the risks for parties involved.

I had the situational judgement interview next. I actually found this very enjoyable. You are given a card with a scenario written on, which the interviewers read out. Don’t be nervous about their follow up questions. They will ask them to everyone and are just trying to find out how you cope under pressure. It's hard to prepare for, my advice would be just be honest.

I had the partner interview next. Some of my questions included: what has led you down this path today, what are you looking for in firms you have applied to, are there any other firms you have applied to? However, on the whole, I felt like the questions were very personalised to my application so make sure you revise what you have written and your motivations are spot on.

Good luck, stay calm and you'll be fine!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.