Hogan lovells paralegal interview help

lawnoob

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2021
Hi everyone, I have a first stage paralegal zoom interview coming up next week.

The HR administrator let me know that the interview with GR will of "job duties of this role and your previous experiences" and will only last 30 minutes. Does anyone know what sort of questions they might specifically ask? Does this mean that it is a competency based interview, and would I use STAR?

I've not had any previous experience with any of the job duties included but am very eager and willing to learn as it will be my first legal job.
How can I get this across clearly if they ask me "do you know how to do XYZ"? Should I say that I don't have exact experience in doing these things but then give example of transferrable skills through positions of responsibility, extra curricular and hospitality work experience?

I've also applied to paralegal roles with other law firms, but have not heard back yet. Is it likely that they might ask if I have applied with anyone else? Would it seem like I just want any job and am not interested in this firm only if I say yes? Should I say I haven't heard back yet as I've only applied in the last two weeks? When asking this question, what are they really looking out for..?

People say to ask for feedback after an interview, does this mean I should ask for feedback after every stage (assuming I get through to more stages after this)?
If yes, at what point do I ask? Would it be when they ask if I have any further questions, or during the post-interview thank you email?
What are some good paralegal questions to ask at the end of an interview? Would it be a bit different to questions for VS/TCs?

Sorry for so many questions, it would help a lot if anyone has answers to any part!

Last edited:

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hi everyone, I have a first stage paralegal zoom interview coming up next week for Hogan Lovells. The role is Paralegal in litigation, arbitration and employment.

The HR administrator let me know that the interview with GR will of "job duties of this role and your previous experiences" and will only last 30 minutes. Does anyone know what sort of questions they might specifically ask? Does this mean that it is a competency based interview, and would I use STAR?

The job duties of the role are:
    • Providing paralegal support to fee-earners in handling a wide range of case
    • Undertaking legal research
    • Assisting in drafting or preparing legal documents such as legal advice, pleadings and agreements
    • Assisting in document management and review for discovery and hearings including preparation of hearing bundles and translation as necessary
    • Assisting in compliance with legal procedures and logistics for cases and hearings and attending hearings as necessary
    • Assisting with business development such as tender preparation, pitches, revision of CVs, etc
    I've not had any previous experience with any of the job duties included but am very eager and willing to learn as it will be my first legal job.
    How can I get this across clearly if they ask me "do you know how to do XYZ"? Should I say that I don't have exact experience in doing these things but then give example of transferrable skills through positions of responsibility, extra curricular and hospitality work experience?

I've also applied to paralegal roles with other law firms, but have not heard back yet. Is it likely that they might ask if I have applied with anyone else? Would it seem like I just want any job and am not interested in Hogan Lovells only if I say yes? Should I say I haven't heard back yet as I've only applied in the last two weeks? When asking this question, what are they really looking out for..?

People say to ask for feedback after an interview, does this mean I should ask for feedback after every stage (assuming I get through to more stages after this)?
    If yes, at what point do I ask? Would it be when they ask if I have any further questions, or during the post-interview thank you email?
    What are some good paralegal questions to ask at the end of an interview? Would it be a bit different to questions for VS/TCs?

Sorry for so many questions, it would help a lot if anyone has answers to any part!
    Super quick response on a busy day.

STAR on the whole gives a good structure - try to have some examples of the transferable skills in your head. They basically want to know you are going to cope, be organised and hardworking, take instruction, not commit data breaches, and be the right balance of independent and ready to ask for help. You need to be really good at dealing with multiple tasks, tracking your caseload etc. Think of some times when you've done really effective filing.

They might ask you 'what would you do if...?' questions, but probably not so high level as SJT. They want to know you have an awareness of ethical codes. Data breaches are really easy to make mistakes on but they will have a policy and they will want you to fess up straight away. The same is true of attn to detail - you need to be as punctilious as possible.

Find some online examples of the kinds of docs they say you need to assist in drafting just so you know what the firm needs.

Any employer will know you are applying for jobs. We all need to pay the bills. They want you to be super keen to work for them but it's not a life sentence. They may want to know you are NOT expecting a TC from them, and may even have a policy where you can't apply for one if you've been a paralegal there, so if that's an issue, at least find out where you stand.

Good Q's could be along the lines of the initiatives in the firm you might be able to take part in, eg diversity groups, language classes....

That's a start for you - good luck and enjoy the prep!

lawnoob

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    Super quick response on a busy day.

STAR on the whole gives a good structure - try to have some examples of the transferable skills in your head. They basically want to know you are going to cope, be organised and hardworking, take instruction, not commit data breaches, and be the right balance of independent and ready to ask for help. You need to be really good at dealing with multiple tasks, tracking your caseload etc. Think of some times when you've done really effective filing.

They might ask you 'what would you do if...?' questions, but probably not so high level as SJT. They want to know you have an awareness of ethical codes. Data breaches are really easy to make mistakes on but they will have a policy and they will want you to fess up straight away. The same is true of attn to detail - you need to be as punctilious as possible.

Find some online examples of the kinds of docs they say you need to assist in drafting just so you know what the firm needs.

Any employer will know you are applying for jobs. We all need to pay the bills. They want you to be super keen to work for them but it's not a life sentence. They may want to know you are NOT expecting a TC from them, and may even have a policy where you can't apply for one if you've been a paralegal there, so if that's an issue, at least find out where you stand.

Good Q's could be along the lines of the initiatives in the firm you might be able to take part in, eg diversity groups, language classes....

That's a start for you - good luck and enjoy the prep!
    Hey Alison! Thank you so much for your lengthy response, this is really helpful!

Reactions: Alison C

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.